sena owners I need input

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRay

Reaction score
Is seems it takes the second coming to get wired headsets to work on the new spyder and a couple grand that doesn't exist now that I bought the damn thing.

I've been reading about the sena units and have my self totally confused. I want tunes, intercom, gps voice commands from the 590lm and I guess a phone so which one do I need without breaking the bank????

I love my smh-10, purchased the dual pack from Alex at Realtime Industries. The SMH-20 is the newer low-profile model but costs a little more.

I went with the SMH-20 FJRay. It took me about 4 hours to finally get everything coming into it correctly but now it functions like a dream. I am running my ipod, GPS and phone via the 20. The intercom portion is "standard" and work easily with other Sena units. Haven't ridden with anyone using anything else. I can get an easy 10-12 hours out of a charge. I bought the Dual unit so I just pop off the dead unit and snap in the other on the go and away I go on saddlesore and butt burner days.

We've been using the Sena SMH10s for 5 years. Spousal Unit and I use them strictly for bike to bike commo so I can't help you much on connectivity. I can, however, attest to their quality, dependability and good customer service.

I've had SMH-10s for years now. Maybe 6. I will upgrade one of these days, but they continue to work. They pair to each other my Zumo 660, and my phone easily. I have found that it takes finesse to pair the phone and the Zumo to the Sena and get voice from both. I had to reset it, so next time, I'll either have to figure it out again, or just pair my phone to the Zumo. For some reason when that's done, callers can't hear me, but the notification on the screen and ability to dial from the GPS is awesome.

They're not bad as a pair, around $300. Maybe the SMH-20 is better, but I don't know.

Good luck.

Ray, your 590LM should have lots of room for tunes so music and GPS all from the same unit. I haven't taken the time to really explore all the possibility's of the 590 but it does more than both our smarts can figure out!

My phone has paired up but I have issue's mainly because it's a Rugby 4 that is out dated and I don't care much anyhow so I don't mess with it much.

I have the older SMH-10's and if I'm paired up with a friend or two no issues, get a bunch and sometimes we have issues. Those issues are mostly old fart issue's of not reading up on proper pairing of multiple rides and picking the proper pivot man! If you are just going to use it for you and Patti it shouldn't be to hard to get set up.

I still use my I-Pod with ER-6 ear buds, I like this set-up as If I want music I don't have to crank it with the ER-6's and if I don't want music they work to help break the wind noise down.

I have the Sena 20s and was completely happy until this last trip. First, I couldn't seem to pair with Uncle Hud's Sena. It's likely I was doing something wrong, but the voice said "intercom pairing", so I don't know. On the (early) way home in the rain, it entered into a loop that I couldn't interrupt. It would say "group intercom pairing" then "canceled" over and over - very annoying. I couldn't even turn it off. I finally got it to turn off and rode in blissful silence until it stopped raining. Once it was dry again, I turned it on and it worked fine. Doesn't do me a lot of good if it doesn't work right in the weather.

We have a twin pak of SMH10's that have worked great for the past several years. To get everything to play nice together, you'll need the SM10(?) to link all the devices.

Hopefully Pops chimes in, he has a SMH20 will all his devices working together.

Good luck Ray...this crap will drive you nuts!

--G

You don't need the SM10 to get it all together. You'll need it for a radar detector, but you and Patti can pair up. You can listen to your music and she can listen to hers. If you're going to share the same music, you will need the SM10, if that even makes that option possible.

PhilJet09 posted: I have the Sena 20s and was completely happy until this last trip. First, I couldn't seem to pair with Uncle Hud's Sena. It's likely I was doing something wrong, but the voice said "intercom pairing", so I don't know. On the (early) way home in the rain, it entered into a loop that I couldn't interrupt. It would say "group intercom pairing" then "canceled" over and over - very annoying. I couldn't even turn it off. I finally got it to turn off and rode in blissful silence until it stopped raining. Once it was dry again, I turned it on and it worked fine. Doesn't do me a lot of good if it doesn't work right in the weather.
Thanks, PhilJet09. I'm pretty sure we did the right things, but I get really impatient with machines that won't do what I'd like them to do, and suggested we quit trying after 60 seconds. Won't do that again; I missed an opportunity to chat with you during our very brief ride. Sorry, man.

Moisture makes mine wonky, too. On one of my first rides with the 20s, I forgot to re-seal the rubber cap over the charging socket. The unit did some very weird stuff during steady rain, but I chalked it up to operator error at the time.

This past weekend, we spent about 4 hours in light drizzle, out of 21 hours road time. It kept losing the FM randomly, switching to static. Off/On and it worked OK for another 20 minutes, then static again. It also (sometimes) failed to change FM channels or scan the FM dial using the button-pushing combinations. Reboot and she was good again.

After riding at least 5 miles beyond my turnoff, I also noticed that the GPS commands weren't coming in over the FM.

Not sure the latter is the Sena's fault. I was pressing so many buttons in frustration, it was re-configuring based on my button smashing.

I am also riding with Fuze earplugs in the earplug jack. The unit should still be weatherproof with earplugs in the jack, shouldn't it? (Thanks for the Fuze tip, HotRodZilla. They're grrrrrrreat!)

SOOOOOO. Back to the topic at hand.

FJRay, I love my Sena, even though it doesn't always behave like I expect or desire.

1) Pairing is usually simple, and the unit remembers previous pairings, whether with the phone or other Senas, and reconnects automatically.

2) The FM reception is only so-so, but provides some variety when I've listened to the 350-odd songs stored on the phone, or when listening to sports.

3) I could hear OK with the speakers pressed against my ears, but hear spectacularly with the earplugs.

4) Fiddling with it keeps boredom away.

5) And something has to keep those voices in my head from taking over .....

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the SMH-10 and love it. It pairs with the Zumo 665 which is paired with my phone. I also have it paired to my iPod for music and, of course, Spanky's sena. I will check, but if you are using a bluetooth MP3 like and iPod the wife's unit can pair with it also. I don't believe you need the SM10. If you want to listen to a non bluetooth capable music source you need the SM10. I did a test with XM radio and the SM10. First, it is not stereo and, second, the fidelity was terrible. I will stick with the iPod.

I have the SMH10 like several others. I thought mine had up and quit the other day. Turned them off and on, into pairing - made sure the phone saw them and listed them as connected. Everything was perfect - no sound. Then I found the problem. I had in helmet speakers for the first several years. Recently changed to the head phone plug in base - the sound is much better with even the cheapest buds. When you forget to actually wear the buds the sound is simply not there.

Once again it is a loose connection - rider to machine that is. They are wonderful when I am not the cause of failure.

Ray, when pricing the Sena be sure to check with Jeff at BikeEffects.com he's a long time guy here and gives a 10% discount for forum members.

I bought my Sena 10 dual pack from him last year, good price and fast service.

I use the SMH5-FM. It's a little cheaper and provides most of the important features that the SMH10 and SMH20 have. I pair it simultaneously with my phone and Garmin GPS using the alternative pairing mode. It works great for me.

SMH-10 user here. Wife and I using them for about 3 years now. Paired up easily with my phone, Ipod touch, and Zumo 660. Only thing we've found we don't like is the voice directions from the Zumo cutting in and knocking our intercom conversation out momentarily when it comes across. Since my wife isn't hearing the Zumo she keeps talking thinking I can hear and then when she realizes I'm not answering her is less than happy. I no longer use the connection to the ZUmo when we ride together for that reason.

Ray,

I think for your needs, the SMH-10 will work for you and Patti. One thing to consider is getting the option that allows you to use ear buds. The stock set up is for speakers only. That is fine for around town, but sucks at speed. Ear buds (for me) reduce wind noise and allow me to use lower volume settings, plus, the clarity is so much better. I have the speakers in the helmet and just switch out the wires when I go on trips. I don't stream music with my 550, as it is single channel, and sounds like an an old AM radio with a broken speaker. I use my phone for music and have the GPS secondary for the turn by turn. My understanding is the the 590 streams in stereo and will break in with the turn by turn. This will allow you to control the music from the GPS, unlike the phone which will be in a pocket or tank bag.

Once they are set up, pretty much keep 'em charged and enjoy.

Ray, festar and I both bought sena20's last year. Festar had a sena 10 before he bought the 20.

The biggest improvement we notice is that there is a significant reduction in wind noise when using the 20 over the 10. When we ride together without anyone else paired up there is no background noise, when we add a 10 to the network there is almost always crackling, and background noise along with constant wind noise.

We both use the 20's to hear phones and gPS, festar has a Garmin, I use the TomTom.

I don't do tunes,but can. I don't use the FM much, find it a pain in the ass.

I use speakers in my helmet with ear plugs, works fine for me. May have a pair of custom earbuds made this winter in Daytona.

I had problems with my GPS at first too. Then after a little conversation with bigjohnsd and Alex I figured out that I needed to pair my iPod as the first device, my android phone as a 2nd phone, my Zumo as the GPS input. After that everything worked perfectly. My GPS talks to me whenever it needs to. Haven't had any problems since. My only gripe is the inability to change the name of the Sena units. I have the 20 Duals and they both have the same name. I wish I could have named one unit Sena 1 and the other Sena 2. Nope, both are Sena 20 with the version following. I can name the units on my phone, but that really doesn't change the device name...its just a mask on the phone app. On my GPS I still have two entries with the same name. I have to manually select the "other" entry to get it to connect sometimes. Same with my iPod.

And don't expect anything resembling fidelity out of the included speakers. They are tinny and shrill, good enough for the 20 minute ride into work. Custom molded earphones are the cats meow if you are going to be on extended trips.

Last edited by a moderator:
What the hell are you fruit cakes talking about the "SMH20"? LOL Must be talking about the 20s. I have had the SMH10 for several years and it has been great. Do not get the "Sport" version the SMH10R. The battery is junk. I do suggest the 20s as it can pair more people (not that you really need that), a little further distance, 2 bands of bluetooth so that you can be talking to Patti and listening to your tunes or other devises at the same time. The SMH10 DOES NOT do that. And use the "Wired Boom Mic" as it will give you more flexibility on mounting the 20s.

One huge advantage to the Sena is that Sena is one of the very few bluetooth companies that allow you to charge the devise while still being able to use it at the same time. EXTREMELY helpful! With any of the Senas you can also get and use the SM10 that you can plug in all of your hard wired stuff and the SM10 will bluetooth to your helmet.

Carl