Sena SMH10 + Zumo +Iphone

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tesla

Reaction score
Finally, I think I can give back to the FJR community rather than taking. I've found that Iphone4 does not like to be paired to 2 devices. Major skips while listening to internet radio (Pandora) via bluetooth stereo. When I disconnect the Zumo 550 (which removes Iphone pairing with it) all is well. Wired connection from Sena using jacks to Iphone4 works fine. Also, I was unable to activate intercom from headset B but can activate intercom from headset A. Disconnect Zumo and intercom works fine.The fix is a bluetooth stereo dongle connected to Iphone. Sounds a bit counter intuitive and/or redundant since Iphone4 already has bluetooth stereo (not sure about previous versions of Iphone). Pair the dongle to Sena and it works perfectly since you take the Iphone pairing to the Sena out of the loop. Also cleared up the intercom issue. It seems like the handsfree profile and bluetooth stereo profile on the Iphone are not distinct enough for the Sena to manage it and it causes the skips mentioned on internet radio. +1 for Droid phones as I'm told you can select the profiles to go where you want them.

I hope this helps someone. If someone else has posted this fix, please mention it here so we can give credit where credit is due.

Barry

Thanks, but I'm gonna have to come back and read this when I haven't been drinking.

Finally, I think I can give back to the FJR community rather than taking. I've found that Iphone4 does not like to be paired to 2 devices. Major skips while listening to internet radio (Pandora) via bluetooth stereo. When I disconnect the Zumo 550 (which removes Iphone pairing with it) all is well. Wired connection from Sena using jacks to Iphone4 works fine. Also, I was unable to activate intercom from headset B but can activate intercom from headset A. Disconnect Zumo and intercom works fine.The fix is a bluetooth stereo dongle connected to Iphone. Sounds a bit counter intuitive and/or redundant since Iphone4 already has bluetooth stereo (not sure about previous versions of Iphone). Pair the dongle to Sena and it works perfectly since you take the Iphone pairing to the Sena out of the loop. Also cleared up the intercom issue. It seems like the handsfree profile and bluetooth stereo profile on the Iphone are not distinct enough for the Sena to manage it and it causes the skips mentioned on internet radio. +1 for Droid phones as I'm told you can select the profiles to go where you want them.

I hope this helps someone. If someone else has posted this fix, please mention it here so we can give credit where credit is due.

Barry

wait, so you pair the iphone through the dongle to the headset and pair the zumo to the headset too? So you stream pandora to the headset ad the zomo interrupts with directions and all is OK with the iphone streaming music after the directions?

What about the phone? Do you have the phone paired to the zumo? What dongle are you using??

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really in the market to upgrade from my Scala unit. My only complaint with the Scala is that the speakers just don't put out enough volume. Is this a problem with the Sena?

I'm really in the market to upgrade from my Scala unit. My only complaint with the Scala is that the speakers just don't put out enough volume. Is this a problem with the Sena?
Depends if you wear earplugs or not. I have the regular clamp, and the headset version. I tried the regular (speaker) version with a freshly cast set of molded earplugs, and with the volume all the way up, it was too quiet even inside a quiet house. I'm much happier wearing earbuds, I barely run more than 1/3 volume and can hear everything clearly without it being a distraction.

I'm not sure but you might be making this more complicated than it needs to be. I tried the instructions with the Sena when trying to link my iPod Touch and Blackberry to the headset. There was no way to connect the Blackberry to the iPod first, then connect the iPod to the headset, probably due to the problem you're saying - the iPxxxx doesn't like to be linked to multiple devices. Luckily the Sena is smarter than that so I finally stumbled upon something that was much simpler.

First you have to connect the iPxxx to the headset. Second - disconnect iPxxxxx. Third - pair the phone with the headset. Now the headset and each of your units "know" each other.

Each time I start a ride, the procedure is:

1) On Blackberry, "connect" to Sena

2) On iPod, turn on bluetooth, "connect" to Sena

Done

The sequence in this case is important. If I connect the iPod first, that connection is dropped when I connect the Blackberry.

This is really great - it also eliminates the need to go to "Pair" mode on the Sena.

Now I'm assuming you can do the same thing with your Zumo and iPhone. Try to connect from the separate units to the headset instead of pairing you phone and Zumo first and see what happens. Try switching the order of connecting the units, I'd start with the Zumo first. Maybe you'll have a good result like I did.

Depends if you wear earplugs or not. I have the regular clamp, and the headset version. I tried the regular (speaker) version with a freshly cast set of molded earplugs, and with the volume all the way up, it was too quiet even inside a quiet house. I'm much happier wearing earbuds, I barely run more than 1/3 volume and hear everything clearly without it being a distraction.
The Sena has an optional mount that allows you to plug in a 3.5mm jack instead of using the included speaker set. I think its something like $10 and would allow you use the set with whatever ear buds you want. I think the Sena is really great, though I haven't tried to run my setup AND connect to other headsets (supposed to connect to up to 3 other headsets at once).

Thanks for the info on the Sena, and sorry to tesla for the hijack, I hope you get your connectivity issues worked out.

I'm not sure but you might be making this more complicated than it needs to be.

Wouldn't be the first time!

I tried the instructions with the Sena when trying to link my iPod Touch and Blackberry to the headset. There was no way to connect the Blackberry to the iPod first,

You have a dedicated phone and a dedicated music player. I had no problem connecting that configuration with a separate mp3 player but I wanted music and phone functions from one unit, the Iphone, and the Iphone wasn't having it. The dongle is like having a separate and dedicated music player like your Ipod. By the way, why would you to connect your Blackberry to the Ipod?

then connect the iPod to the headset, probably due to the problem you're saying - the iPxxxx doesn't like to be linked to multiple devices. Luckily the Sena is smarter than that so I finally stumbled upon something that was much simpler.

First you have to connect the iPxxx to the headset. Second - disconnect iPxxxxx. Third - pair the phone with the headset. Now the headset and each of your units "know" each other. Huh?

Each time I start a ride, the procedure is:

1) On Blackberry, "connect" to Sena

2) On iPod, turn on bluetooth, "connect" to Sena

Done

The sequence in this case is important. If I connect the iPod first, that connection is dropped when I connect the Blackberry.

This is really great - it also eliminates the need to go to "Pair" mode on the Sena.

Now I'm assuming you can do the same thing with your Zumo and iPhone. Try to connect from the separate units to the headset instead of pairing you phone and Zumo first and see what happens. Try switching the order of connecting the units, I'd start with the Zumo first. Maybe you'll have a good result like I did.

The pairing wasn't the problem. It was the quality of Iphone music that sucked. I think my bluetooth dongle solution separated and distinguished the bluetooth profiles so that the Sena could understand it.

I appreciate your input and accept the fact that I am still possibly over complicating it.

wait, so you pair the iphone through the dongle to the headset and pair the zumo to the headset too? Yes So you stream pandora to the headset and the zumo interrupts with directions and all is OK with the iphone streaming music after the directions? Yes

What about the phone? Do you have the phone paired to the zumo? Yes What dongle are you using?? Jabra A120s
The only thing not paired to the Sena directly is the Iphone but you could say that its indirectly paired through the Jabra. Since the Iphone IS paired to the Zumo I can use the screen functions to place or receive calls and have caller ID functions as well. I may be able to hang up a call using Sena buttons but not sure about that. Tried to place a call with Sena buttons but it wouldn't work.

Thanks, but I'm gonna have to come back and read this when I haven't been drinking.
I had a few when I typed it so it may not be you!

I think the SENA only supports one Blue Tooth stereo device. I think I read Sena recommended connecting the phone to the GPS and to the Sena. But not sure if the ZUMO 550 is Bluetooth stereo, so thta might be where you are missing some sound quality.

The one Bluetooth Stereo connection is a limitation in the Bluetooth standard, more so then the Sena itself.