Sena SMH10

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat C

Reaction score
Does anyone own the Sena SMH10, I would like to know how the sound quality is when playing music? I have the Scala and the speakers suck.

If you have the Scala Q2, you are right. The G4 has more power and bass response. I've heard good things about the Sena but haven't tried one.

I'm very happy with my Sena sound. Plenty of volume as well.

I even use the helmet speakers amd have foam earplugs. For bike to bike comms or rider/pillion...which is the main reason I got it, I'm very happy with the system.

I'm sure it would be even better with the etymotic earbuds...but for some reason my etymotics don't stay sealed and often loosen as I'm putting on my helmet.

Very good quality sound and very high volume. I also use foam earplugs.

The Jog Dial controls are super as well. My MP3 is in the GPS and with a simple push and 1 second hold of the Jog Dial the MP3 is on/off and with a simple push and slight turn, right or left you can change tunes. The Jog Dial also controls volume with a simple turn.

Keep Going!

Reviews have the Sena coming in superior to the G4 and the Sena is less $. I may pull the trigger on the Sena this month.

I too bought a SENA SMH10 Double pack. The sound is really good for GPS, MP3, Phone, Bike to bike and Passenger. Set-up was easy. I have a Shuberth C3 modular helmet and had to use the 3M adhesive attachment with a slight mod for the tinted visor slide. The battery life so far has been great, overall I'm very satisfied with this purchase. :fan_1:

Reviews have the Sena coming in superior to the G4 and the Sena is less $. I may pull the trigger on the Sena this month.
If you do decide to buy, Cougar8000 from this board sells them. MishaCycles.com. I bought my dual SENA from him as well as some other things like speedbleeders. He is based in the Chicago area where I live and also teaches MSF.

Another happy Sena user here. I have the optional ear bud clamp, and currently use Skullcandy ear buds. Within the next few weeks, I should have my custom cast in-ear monitors.

I too bought a SENA SMH10 Double pack. The sound is really good for GPS, MP3, Phone, Bike to bike and Passenger. Set-up was easy. I have a Shuberth C3 modular helmet and had to use the 3M adhesive attachment with a slight mod for the tinted visor slide. The battery life so far has been great, overall I'm very satisfied with this purchase. :fan_1:
Kenny, how did you mount the mic in your C3 helmet, I know the boom mics fit easily in the FF helmets but not sure how the mic would work with a modular helmet. Any chance of some pic - thanks.

yes some pictures would be great

i to have the c3 and have had issues with my scala for mounting

was goign to order the sena this season and give that one a whirl

im looking for better sound quality out of the sena

After looking at the box sitting around for well over a month, I finally installed my Sena system on my Nolan N103 helmet. Cougar8000 is the guy to go to for a set of those communicators for best price and great service!

The sun visor slider is a little harder to actuate now, but still doable. The mic is also no big deal if I position it at my mouth when I close the flip on the helmet. There's not much room in the Nolan, so the mic is touching the my mouth unless I reach inside and push it further toward the chin bar. Not bothersome to me.

It had no problem connecting to my Zumo 660 and hooks up almost instantly. Stereo MP3's sound great from the Zumo. The intercom works great connecting to the wife's helmet.

The only issue I'm having is volume. I normally use Howard Leight Max earplugs and they are so effective at blocking sound that I have a hard time hearing the Sena even when it's cranked to full volume. I should note that without earplugs inserted, the Sena volume is dangerously loud when cranked. The only other system I've ever listened to was the factory Nolan communicator that's made for my helmet and it was barely adequate at full volume while standing in a quiet store - so it would never work on the road. This morning I tried using of those silicone putty earplugs and the volume was better, but still not quite loud enough. I'm gonna have to experiment some more.

After looking at the box sitting around for well over a month, I finally installed my Sena system on my Nolan N103 helmet. Cougar8000 is the guy to go to for a set of those communicators for best price and great service!

The sun visor slider is a little harder to actuate now, but still doable. The mic is also no big deal if I position it at my mouth when I close the flip on the helmet. There's not much room in the Nolan, so the mic is touching the my mouth unless I reach inside and push it further toward the chin bar. Not bothersome to me.

It had no problem connecting to my Zumo 660 and hooks up almost instantly. Stereo MP3's sound great from the Zumo. The intercom works great connecting to the wife's helmet.

The only issue I'm having is volume. I normally use Howard Leight Max earplugs and they are so effective at blocking sound that I have a hard time hearing the Sena even when it's cranked to full volume. I should note that without earplugs inserted, the Sena volume is dangerously loud when cranked. The only other system I've ever listened to was the factory Nolan communicator that's made for my helmet and it was barely adequate at full volume while standing in a quiet store - so it would never work on the road. This morning I tried using of those silicone putty earplugs and the volume was better, but still not quite loud enough. I'm gonna have to experiment some more.
Your concern was mine exactly until I found these at Harbor Freight. Made my SMH10 near perfect. As you probably know, proper insertion is everything.

Keep Going!

On the way home from work yesterday, I thought I'd try the actual navigation function on my Zumo 660 by letting it tell me how to get home. Holy smokes is the audio loud when the gps voice comes on. I ended up adjusting the navigation volume to 40% to approximate the music volume in my ears. I should note that the master volume and music volumes were set to 100%. So the Sena can put out plenty of volume - it's just the music that's weak (and it's only weak if I'm trying to over-ride earplugs).

Today's plan is to see if I can adjust the level of a mp3 file to make it louder. I also plan on visiting the zumo forum to see if anyone has come up with a good solution.

Anyone tried the Sena in an X-11 helmet? There's not a lot of room in the ear pockets of the X-11 and I know the Sena's have thicker speakers. Sena's on my wishlist at the moment.

Anyone tried the Sena in an X-11 helmet? There's not a lot of room in the ear pockets of the X-11 and I know the Sena's have thicker speakers. Sena's on my wishlist at the moment.
I use the SMH10 in both of my X-11s. The key for me is to keep the speaker low and forward in the ear pocket. This is for both comfort and good volume. It took me some trial and error to find the sweet spot but it's there and satisfied initial concerns about both. I also wear foam earplugs.

P4191135.JPG

The hook portion of the hook and loop provided by SENA to attach the speakers inside the helmet, attaches directly to the helmet liner without using the loop portion. Again Mine fit perfect if installed low and forward in the pocket. Maybe this will save you some time experimenting.

Keep Going!

I use the SMH10 in both of my X-11s. The key for me is to keep the speaker low and forward in the ear pocket. This is for both comfort and good volume. It took me some trial and error to find the sweet spot but it's there and satisfied initial concerns about both. I also wear foam earplugs.

The hook portion of the hook and loop provided by SENA to attach the speakers inside the helmet, attaches directly to the helmet liner without using the loop portion. Again Mine fit perfect if installed low and forward in the pocket. Maybe this will save you some time experimenting.

Keep Going!
Thanks for that info!

Kenny, how did you mount the mic in your C3 helmet, I know the boom mics fit easily in the FF helmets but not sure how the mic would work with a modular helmet. Any chance of some pic - thanks.
James

I am not sure if this is C3 but it is Schubertt. In this picture it is using an optional A302 Helmet Clamp Kit - Attachable Boom Microphone & Wired Microphone

Sorry for the huge image

SchuberttandSena302.JPG

HJC seams to be a ok with an out of the box set up

HJSFlipUPandSena.JPG

p.s. Thank you Mark and Harald