SENA SMH10

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Defiant77

Reaction score
Hi,

At the risk of appearing to be asking a stupid question, I am going to purchase a single SMH10 with the thought of getting a second SMH10 later for my wife. She is not riding with me now so I thought I would just wait for hers. I am guessing there is no difference between the units and the dual pack is just two regular smh10s.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I am guessing there is no difference between the units and the dual pack is just two regular smh10s.
That would be correct. Just a two-pack that tends to be cheaper than purchasing separately and paying for shipping twice. I bought a dual pack just for myself so I could ride IBR events charging one while using the other.

I would note your thread title is "SM10". While I surmised you're talking about the SMH10...there is a Sena SM10 that's completely different companion product and could be confusing.

I bought a dual pack just for myself so I could ride IBR events charging one while using the other.
Interesting thought. I bought a used two pack for the price of one, but only use one and never thought about charging one while using the other. Good tip.

I bought a dual pack just for myself so I could ride IBR events charging one while using the other.
Interesting thought. I bought a used two pack for the price of one, but only use one and never thought about charging one while using the other. Good tip.
You can charge it while it's in use.
Of course you can do that.

But you also turn a great wireless device into a suboptimal wired device that either loves to hold onto helmet for dear life to and/or fly out of your charging source like a rubber band when you forget it's attached and get off the bike...or at least it would to me. Buying two for this reason, having an extra to temporarily put on a riding buddy's helmet for a group ride (I've had multiple riding people then buy them), a backup in case one pukes, and other reasons have made the marginal cost of a dual set one of my best gadget investments..

Ignacio beat me to it.
See the difference in the single verses dual pricing here. https://bikeeffects.com/products.asp?cat=8626

Also, note the link for the forum discount information below.
Get the dual pack.

I bought my dual pack 10 from Bikeeffects.com Jeff is a stand up guy with discount for the FJRforum peeps. He helped me chose which Sena best fit my needs.

Great product and service from Bikeeffects!

Buy a dual pack, save the $$$ over two individual units and use as others have mentioned. I always take the SO's and use both when traveling...

Call Alex at Real Time Industries and with his forum discount get the best deal out there.

--G

You can charge it while it's in use.
Of course you can do that.

But you also turn a great wireless device into a suboptimal wired device that either loves to hold onto helmet for dear life to and/or fly out of your charging source like a rubber band when you forget it's attached and get off the bike...or at least it would to me. Buying two for this reason, having an extra to temporarily put on a riding buddy's helmet for a group ride (I've had multiple riding people then buy them), a backup in case one pukes, and other reasons have made the marginal cost of a dual set one of my best gadget investments..
That's exactly what's happened to me on my longish (nothing compared to IBR style) trips where I'm in the saddle for 12+ hours per day listening to music the whole time. My experience is about 8 hours lifetime on the SMH10 while playing music continually at full volume (wearing squishy Howard Leight -30DBA ear plugs), then have to plug into the module for the last 4+ hours from a USB hub in my tank bag.

I don't know how many times I've been pulled up short when I forget I'm tethered - I will say that the Sena micro USB connector seems pretty tough - my primary unit is still plugging away after 3 years even though I've yanked on that cable dozens of times.

But I too bought the dual pack and never thought to bring them both along - seems obvious but sometimes it takes wiser voices to help you see through the clutter - thanks for the tip
smile.png

If you have a single unit and are riding a long day, plug your Sena in at every stop. You'll need an unswitched plug, but I made my 23 hour ride home a few years ago doing that with a single Sena unit. It never died.