Sending Routes to GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Garmin 1350...I downloaded Tyre, made a route, downloaded to the 1350 and tried to find it in My Data...nothing. Does that mean I can't import to my Garmin? ***EDIT*** My Data has the waypoints there, but in Where to, no Custom routes...???

nope, you need the 14xx series in the current lineup. The 855 was available for a while pretty cheap and it did routes. The 765t is pretty cheap and has traffic and will stream to a BT headset, sort of like a ZUmo.

Google maps probably is the easiest to use if the routing isn't too complicated and software exists to create a .gpx file from the Google "link".
I can't tell if you're asking if software exists, or saying that software does exist as long as the route isn't too complicated. I'll answer he first way.

TYRE can import a Google Maps link and save it as a .GPX file, which you can then import into your GPS or Mapsource and recalculate. Google Maps can't do anything directly with your GPS except export the ending point of the route.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you create a route in streets & trips, export it to a GPX file, then drop and drag onto your Garmin, you need to import the route/data. Power up the Garmin, use the Garmin Tools… My Data screen to import the new route.

One problem with any route planning software is that the route you plan may not precisely line up with the route that the Garmin forces. Why? You are really just transfering GPX viapoints to your Garmin for it to recalculate the route. Therefore, if you want the route you planned using Streets and Trips to match the route that your GPS renders, consider doing the following:

1. In your routing software, choose lots of points along your route. More points forces the Garmin to adhere more closely to your intended route.

2. After you export the Streets and Trips file to a GPX file, open it up in Mapsource and view the route. If if doesn't exactly match what you created in Streets and Trips (longer routes with fewer points are more problematic than shorter routes, or those with lots of points), then (i) redo the route with more points, (ii) consider breaking up really long routes into shorter ones, or (iii) use Mapsource to force the planned roue to adhere to your intended route, by adding viewing the route in Mapsource and adding any points, save the route as a Garmin Mapsource file, then using Mapsource, transfer the resulting route into your Garmin (instead of the GPX drop and drag method described above).

I did several routes from Seattle to Eureka for WFO 2010, and it took a while to make sure the routes I created in S&T actually rendered correctly on the Garmin.

Keep in mind Garmin doesn't really invest much in the mapping program as most of their profits are from selling units.
Silly wabbits... don't they realize their mapping software sells (or doesn't) their units? Mapsource is why I have a TomTom now, and probably won't ever buy another Garmin. Ah, just had to vent about what seems a silly attitude from hardware manufacturers.
What I noticed about Mapsource is they're missing most of the roads in South Texas
Hopefully Mapsource is using the same maps as your 'GPS. Current version is 2011.03. I have not noticed much gap in street coverage.

I don't know what Garmin's business view of Mapsource is, but it is not very different from what it was in the 1990s when I was using a GPSMAP 76S. The biggest changes have been security updates to prevent people from making illegal copies of maps. Good luck with that...From what I've seen the hackers have map updates almost before new releases are available to NuMap subscribers.

Google maps probably is the easiest to use if the routing isn't too complicated and software exists to create a .gpx file from the Google "link".
I can't tell if you're asking if software exists, or saying that software does exist as long as the route isn't too complicated. I'll answer he first way.

TYRE can import a Google Maps link and save it as a .GPX file, which you can then import into your GPS or Mapsource and recalculate. Google Maps can't do anything directly with your GPS except export the ending point of the route.

I wasn't terribly clear - I know that TYRE can change a Google map to GPX. My comment related to Google is that when you get into a complex route with a bunch of waypoints, GM tends to bog down and is very slow to refresh. On a very complex route with a bunch of waypoints, I had Google crap out completely (drew straight lines between points after I hit a certain number of waypoints). This was awhile ago so it might have been fixed in the interim. The thing I like most about GM is how easy it is to use. In addition, it is very easy to do the route, copy the link and send it to someone - anyone can open it without extra software. Also easy to use it to post a route on an internet forum using a simple link.

Did some more playing with Mapsource last night and have decided its not too bad once you figure some stuff out. I like the route tool and the fact that it is VERY compatible with the GPS. It is quite capable although not as "pretty" as S&T and not particularly intuitive. I definitely prefer S&T for a nice printable map and for printed directions.

Ross

When you create a route in streets & trips, export it to a GPX file, then drop and drag onto your Garmin, you need to import the route/data. Power up the Garmin, use the Garmin Tools… My Data screen to import the new route.

One problem with any route planning software is that the route you plan may not precisely line up with the route that the Garmin forces. Why? You are really just transfering GPX viapoints to your Garmin for it to recalculate the route. Therefore, if you want the route you planned using Streets and Trips to match the route that your GPS renders, consider doing the following:

1. In your routing software, choose lots of points along your route. More points forces the Garmin to adhere more closely to your intended route.

2. After you export the Streets and Trips file to a GPX file, open it up in Mapsource and view the route. If if doesn't exactly match what you created in Streets and Trips (longer routes with fewer points are more problematic than shorter routes, or those with lots of points), then (i) redo the route with more points, (ii) consider breaking up really long routes into shorter ones, or (iii) use Mapsource to force the planned roue to adhere to your intended route, by adding viewing the route in Mapsource and adding any points, save the route as a Garmin Mapsource file, then using Mapsource, transfer the resulting route into your Garmin (instead of the GPX drop and drag method described above).

I did several routes from Seattle to Eureka for WFO 2010, and it took a while to make sure the routes I created in S&T actually rendered correctly on the Garmin.

I have it pretty well figured out after working with it for awhile last night. I was playing with some routes I did using S&T last year and was checking for accuracy. Generally pretty good although I ran into one strange glitch. I took a long route (coast-to-coast) I did last summer and exported the GPX from S&T. I loaded the GPX onto the GPS and tried to calculate the route. It crapped out after 13%. Did it a second time with a "fresh" GPX file and it died in exactly the same place. Tried bringing the GPX into Mapsource and it worked flawlessly. Strange, but I think I'll use Mapsource as an intermediate whenever possible so I can avoid such glitches and so I can examine the route in detail before downloading to GPS.

Thanks

Ross

Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier.

I used to own a 765WT (gave it to my daughter) and also own a Zumo 550. The 765 works pretty much the same as the Zumo, as far as routes and such. So the things that you are talking about are the same issues and limitations with any Garmin GPS that supports routing uploads.

After much diddling around, I have found that the best (only?) way to get decently clean route into your GPS is to always load them from Mapsource using the "Send to Device" utility. You do not have to create the map in Mapsource initially. If you prefer using some other program for forming the maps you can, and then export them to Mapsource for massaging and uploading. This is because Mapsource supports many proprietary routing features that are not supported by other routing programs. These features are saved when you use the Garmin prioprietary *.gdb format, but not when using *.gpx.

Also, since Mapsource will be using the same identical map database that your GPS is, the coordinates for map features will match when the route is sent to the GPS. This means that, after importing any map into Mapsource, you should always do a "recalculate" using the same version of maps as what is in the GPS device, before sending the routes to the device. You will find that you will always need to do some route point massaging of the waypoints and viapoints after importing a route into Mapsource from anywhere.

There are some tricks that can be used during the viapoint massaging to make it so that the GPS doesn't constantly announce every damn viapoint, and instead announces only the turn by turn directions and waypoints (favorites). This technique varies by the type of GPS you are using, but for your 765 and for any Zumo, it just means placing all of your route shaping viapoints directly on top of intersections, which changes them from a "Map Point" to a "Map Intersection". You can tell it is a Intersection point by highhlighting the point and looking at its properties. All intersection points will also be autonamed "Street A and Street B".

This is one of the proprietary features that is not supported by .gpx, so if you transfer the file any way except using the transfer utility in Mapsource, or if you save the route in the *.gpx format, all of the intersection points will all be changed back into map points and will therefore be announced. That is bad because it will announce the map point and never tell you which way you need to turn.

If you have an older GPS or if you insist on using the .gpx format for saving and sharing routes, then you should always place all of your viapoints immediately after the intersections. If you place them close enough after the turn, the GPS will still be too busy telling you about the turn you just made to announce the map point, but you will still get to hear a lot of those via points being announced.

Try visiting the Zumo forum for more routing tips and tricks. Even though you don't own a Zumo most of the routing info applies.

I used to own a 765WT (gave it to my daughter) and also own a Zumo 550. The 765 works pretty much the same as the Zumo, as far as routes and such. So the things that you are talking about are the same issues and limitations with any Garmin GPS that supports routing uploads.

After much diddling around, I have found that the best (only?) way to get decently clean route into your GPS is to always load them from Mapsource using the "Send to Device" utility. You do not have to create the map in Mapsource initially. If you prefer using some other program for forming the maps you can, and then export them to Mapsource for massaging and uploading. This is because Mapsource supports many proprietary routing features that are not supported by other routing programs. These features are saved when you use the Garmin prioprietary *.gdb format, but not when using *.gpx.

Also, since Mapsource will be using the same identical map database that your GPS is, the coordinates for map features will match when the route is sent to the GPS. This means that, after importing any map into Mapsource, you should always do a "recalculate" using the same version of maps as what is in the GPS device, before sending the routes to the device. You will find that you will always need to do some route point massaging of the waypoints and viapoints after importing a route into Mapsource from anywhere.

There are some tricks that can be used during the viapoint massaging to make it so that the GPS doesn't constantly announce every damn viapoint, and instead announces only the turn by turn directions and waypoints (favorites). This technique varies by the type of GPS you are using, but for your 765 and for any Zumo, it just means placing all of your route shaping viapoints directly on top of intersections, which changes them from a "Map Point" to a "Map Intersection". You can tell it is a Intersection point by highhlighting the point and looking at its properties. All intersection points will also be autonamed "Street A and Street B".

This is one of the proprietary features that is not supported by .gpx, so if you transfer the file any way except using the transfer utility in Mapsource, or if you save the route in the *.gpx format, all of the intersection points will all be changed back into map points and will therefore be announced. That is bad because it will announce the map point and never tell you which way you need to turn.

If you have an older GPS or if you insist on using the .gpx format for saving and sharing routes, then you should always place all of your viapoints immediately after the intersections. If you place them close enough after the turn, the GPS will still be too busy telling you about the turn you just made to announce the map point, but you will still get to hear a lot of those via points being announced.

Try visiting the Zumo forum for more routing tips and tricks. Even though you don't own a Zumo most of the routing info applies.
Hi Fred

I think you saved me from some future headaches! Moving the waypoints to intresections is a great idea to eliminate excess chatter from the GPS. If I run into more issues, I'll see whats happening over at the Zumo forum.

I had already come to the conclusion about filtering the route through Mapsource if I create it using S&T or something else. Database discrepancies between programs/mapsets could be problematic.

What did you use to mount the 765 on the bike? I was going to look for a compatible Garmin cradle (somewhere?) and maybe a Ram ball on the left side threaded mount. I had my Garmin 360 suction-cupped to the windshield but it isn't very secure - pops off and is rescued by the lanyard from time to time.

Ross

Hi Fred

I think you saved me from some future headaches! Moving the waypoints to intresections is a great idea to eliminate excess chatter from the GPS. If I run into more issues, I'll see whats happening over at the Zumo forum.

I had already come to the conclusion about filtering the route through Mapsource if I create it using S&T or something else. Database discrepancies between programs/mapsets could be problematic.

What did you use to mount the 765 on the bike? I was going to look for a compatible Garmin cradle (somewhere?) and maybe a Ram ball on the left side threaded mount. I had my Garmin 360 suction-cupped to the windshield but it isn't very secure - pops off and is rescued by the lanyard from time to time.

Ross
Feel free to PM me with any questions you come up with too.

I never did mount the 765 to the bike. I was going to, as a second unit (already had the Zumo) but then gave it to my daughter who lives away.

The best way to mount it is with the Ram cradle made for the 7XX series. Here's one that comes complete with every thing to mount your GPS to a handlebar, I know on a 1st gen there is room on the right bar for this kind of clamp, not sure about second gens. If mounting a GPS on the handle bar I'd want it to be the left one. I use a WynPro Ram-Bone to mount my Zumo in front of the gas tank, and would say that is the best mount around for the FJR. I would like to have been able to get the gps mount up over the instrument panel, like I have on my V-strom, but with the adjustable windshield on the FJR that area is not so open.

Heres the time tested way to nail this:

1) Create route in S&T. Export it as *.gpx file.

2) Open the gpx file in Mapsource and force a recalculate. We will assume that you are always using the correct maps version for your GPS.

3) Manipulate your route in Mapsource as needed. Insert any Waypoints that you want announced in the route.

4) Move all other route shaping points to intersections. When reviewing the route properties you can tell it is an intersection by its name containing the word "and". (i.e. Hollywood Blvd and Vine St.) or you can verify by looking at the viapoint properties.

5) Save the route as *.gdb for future reference.

6) Upload it to the GPS using mapsource

7) Start GPS and import the route(s)(or it will say that it found new data and ask you if you want to import).

This is the best way we found to get this right. create most of your points in stt 2010. when you open it in mapsource and recalculate, it may make some changes to the route since you came from a different program. Make any changes you need to make (which shouldnt be many if you include alot of points in stt 2010). as your reviewing your route in mapsource, move alot of the shaping points to intersections (so they wont get announced (nothing worse that listening to gps jane announce 30 points (which calculates into 90 prompts (1 at 1 mile, 1 at .2 miles, and 1 at the turn)))). then save the route as a .gdb and import into the device.

it takes a little practice to get this right, but in the end, you'll be glad you did it this way. designing the route in mapsource is just a pain in the ass. Stt 2010 makes the original create a dream and the tweaking minimal in mapsource. the idea here is to use mapsource as little as possible, but its a good tool to double check your route and move it into your device.

if you use this method, you'll notice alot fewer "discrepancies" when actually using your route.

GreyGoose

Zumos stop speaking the waypoint name(s) at the first comma. You can place commas early in the name and greatly reduce the chatter.

My personal preference is to place the waypoint approximately 500-800 feet past the intersection (along the intended route path). That gives me one quick warning about the upcoming waypoint, followed by the typical turn directions, concluded by one quick acknowledgment of the waypoint being reached.

I find the default Garmin turn instruction timing a bit "short" for my typical traveling speed. Having the somewhat earlier heads-up warning works well for me.

For most routes I do the following...

1. Compose initial route in TYRE and save as GPX.

2. Open the GPX in MapSucks, recalculate the route, compare the TRACK created by TYRE to Garmin's new route.

3. Add additional waypoints as required to force Garmin/MapSucks to be my routing bitch and do what I originally intended. Delete the TRACK once BitchGarmin succumbs to my will.

4. Save the new GPX file.

5. Open the GPX file with NOTEPAD and delete most, if not all, of the waypoint info, leaving the ROUTE section. Sometimes I leave a few waypoints like the lunch stop, hotel stop etc. and subsequently load them as FAVORITES. Save the new GPX file.

6. Copy the GPX file to the \Garmin\GPX folder on the SD Memory Card of my Garmin device.

7. Disconnect the USB cable from the GPS and follow the prompts for IMPORT DATA (Routes and possibly FAVORITES).

If I need to share the route with someone else for discussion, it's easiest to open the GPX in TYRE and Show Route In Google Maps then email them the link, as LeeDavis said above.

Step 5 will be pretty scary for most folks the first time they go there.

Don't save on top of the original GPX file, use a different name (Save As . . .) for the edited file, just so you won't have to backtrack too far if it's a screw-up.

Let me preface this by saying Jeff A. is the GPS routing ninja! :assassin:

What he describes above is probably the best way to format route files that will be shared amongst folks with many different versions of GPS'es. The "gpx" (GPs eXchange) format is the most universally compatible. With that universality comes fewer features.

When I am generating routes for my own use I do not ever save them as .gpx as you lose too many of the Garmin proprietary features. The whole "Intersection Points" feature is worth a lot to me, personally. It allows me to put in a zillion route shaping points, to be sure that I will follow the intended route path, but none of them get announced and they do not screw up the distance to next turn displayed on the GPS. Plus the .gpx files are much larger in size (hence Jeff's step 5) and takes up more memory on the GPS.

OTOH, when I am sharing routes I have learned that I must make a .gpx version available, one with the route points moved and placed in the Ashe method, in addition to my original .gdb file with the intersection points. Here's the big snafu: If someone tries to use my .gdb route file and they are running a different version of maps or mapsource, even with a late model GPS like a Zumo it still may screw up the route some.

It's all just a part of the techno weenie fun of using GPS'es on motorcycles. :p

...What he describes above is probably the best way to format route files that will be shared amongst folks with many different versions of GPS'es. The "gpx" (GPs eXchange) format is the most universally compatible. With that universality comes fewer features.
Definitely a good point worth making. I rarely create a route that doesn't get shared with SOMEBODY, even if nobody winds up attending the ride. My routes typically run across many different models of GPS with all sorts of map versions. I spend much of my time working to make them easily digestible. :D

...What he describes above is probably the best way to format route files that will be shared amongst folks with many different versions of GPS'es. The "gpx" (GPs eXchange) format is the most universally compatible. With that universality comes fewer features.
Definitely a good point worth making. I rarely create a route that doesn't get shared with SOMEBODY, even if nobody winds up attending the ride. My routes typically run across many different models of GPS with all sorts of map versions. I spend much of my time working to make them easily digestible. :D

Jeff

I was wondering if you could attach (or send) a typical "raw" and then "massaged" .gpx file (if you have an example on file somewhere)? I would be interested in having a look at the differences and see where you made changes. I have done a little playing with .gpx files in the past but nothing more complicated than tracklogs from a hand-held.

Ross

Fred, a lot of this I never knew. Thanks so much for taking the time to explain this. I will try the mapsource intermediate.

Eric :clapping:

This has been a very helpful thread.

I dragged myself, kicking and screaming, into the mysterious world of GPS travel in December. Got a Garmin 765T and Sena SMH10 headset. Now mind you, up-until that point in time, I didn't even have a cell phone. Got myself signed up on a month to month plan and bought a $20.00 Samsung with something called Blue Tooth and went for it. (I come from the sport of mountaineering where one depended on maps, compasses and understanding weather to stay on route and out of trouble. (At least they used to. :yahoo: )

Upon entering into motorcycling, less than two years ago, aboard this great machine, I used Google Maps to plan 99% of my now 50K miles and was only miss-directed one time. Google became my friend in that I would create a route, print it out, laminate it and follow along turn by turn from the top of my tank bag.

It's been some learning experience over the past few weeks. I was getting a pretty good handle on everything with one exception. My familiarity with Google maps seemed a bit useless until I read this thread and was exposed to Tyre. That was the missing link to connect all the dots in transferring the Google created route to MapSource and then to the 765t.

Appreciate the heads-up regarding Tyre. It all falls into place and works to my expectations now. I have tested the procedure on a couple of 300 mile trips and all is well.

Course I'll still be carrying my back-up printouts for a while. :rolleyes:

Great info, here. Thanks to all that contributed.

Keep Going!

Jeff

I was wondering if you could attach (or send) a typical "raw" and then "massaged" .gpx file (if you have an example on file somewhere)? I would be interested in having a look at the differences and see where you made changes. I have done a little playing with .gpx files in the past but nothing more complicated than tracklogs from a hand-held.

Ross
Will do. Might be sometime Wed. before I get it done.

A couple points of discussion to consider in this thread...

1. Whenever you do a SEND TO DEVICE from MapSucks to a Zumo, the transfer actually takes place in the form of a specially-named GPX file (temp.gpx). MapSucks does not actually insert the route into the GPS's GDB formatted database, but instead creates the intermediate temporary GPX file, which is in turn read on restart just like any other GPX file you manually place on the device.

The difference between most GPX exported files from other apps, and the Garmin SEND TO DEVICE function, is/are the additional data types that are embedded in the GPX file created. SEND TO DEVICE includes several Garmin-specific GPX data tags with additional info.

Although I'm not 100% certain, I do believe the latest versions of TYRE will include some of the Garmin-specific data when you set the default function/mode of TYRE to GARMIN and then SAVE-AS GPX.

2. Using Google Maps works great for creating routes with a limited number of waypoints. It has been a long-time constraint of Google Maps that it does not support more waypoints than letters of the alphabet. I think it actually stops at "Y", as each waypoint is labeled a letter of the alphabet. This restriction makes Google Maps impractical for complex/long routes.

If you like using Google Maps, I highly recommend you try TYRE. It doesn't have the waypoints restriction of Google Maps, and TYRE has some truly kick-ass export and exchange functions. The developer is a very smart person who does good work.

3. Those mentioning speed/performance issues when using Google Maps are not alone. It requires a very powerful video card and an above-average CPU speed to run smoothly and effectively. I've tried just about every variation of machine tweaks to help out, but so far nothing has substituted for a kick-ass video card and at least 4GB of RAM.

4. When deciding what routing program to rely upon, consider this...

* Google Maps requires broadband Internet access and a fast machine to run (reasonably well). GM will not operate without Internet access. The same applies to TYRE because they both use the same mapping technology.

* MapSource (MapSucks) now requires a minimum of 6GB available hard drive space to perform the regularly required map updates. If you plan on MapSource as your travel companion and prefer to use solid state disk drives and similar more rugged/portable computers, hard drive space can be a real challenge. It can make MapSource a one-time install because it uses up a lot of hard disk space doing just the initial install.

* Streets & Trips was out of the running in recent years due to a lack of any GPX export function. All the 3rd party apps that intervened, died away with S&T 2007. Only the most recent version(s) of S&T have GPX export capability. One of the best things about S&T has been (and I assume continues to be) its ability to load and run from a machine that's isolated from the Internet. But unlike MapSucks, it has not typically required nearly as much hard disk space, making S&T the most portable solution for those who like to construct and/or revise routes out on the open road. You won't get much Internet access in Colorado motels, or Niehart Montana, or the Ashe cabin.

:D

Jeff

Great information, especially on how Mapsource works. I came to many of the same conclusions over the past week or so while "playing" with downloading routes to my "new" Garmin 765T.

As I had mentioned, Google Maps is very easy to use but bogs badly when there are more than a few waypoints. My past observation of GM dying completely after entering a lot of waypoints apparently is unchanged. The lack of portability (i.e. no internet connection) makes it a poor choice for trips. TYRE (which I haven't tried yet) seems to be in a similar situation with respect to needing an internet connection although I will try it as an easier means of getting a Google-ish route into the GPS. I have S&T 2010 and have found it to be pretty good; especially if you can filter the route through Mapsource.

I had initially planned to use Mapsource on the road but wasn't aware of its memory requirements. I use a small HP netbook with a solid state drive (limited capacity) when on the road. (I wanted something small (and cheap) and wanted to avoid using a computer with a conventional hard drive figuring that extended vibration and bouncing wouldn't do it any favors over the long term.) The 'puter is suitable for surfing, email, downloading my camera (to a memory stick) and checking the forums but is very limited in terms of real estate for storage of large programs or data files. Not much of a processor either but is all I need for the above applications.

It looks like S&T filtered through Mapsource is going to be my selection for planning from home and S&T direct will be used on the road. I did run into a S&T issue when transferring files to Mapsource. I found that (in Mapsource) I could only "move" some waypoints. Ones that were created by "dragging" a route to the correct roads could not be moved - unless I am doing something wrong - right click the point etc. I wanted to move the waypoints to intersections as suggested to reduce/eliminate excessive chatter from Jill. I guess I need to play with it a little more. Copies of "raw" and "massaged" files would be useful to see exactly what you are doing during editing in Notepad.

Does anyone know if Streets & Trips can be run from a memory stick rather than residing on the hard drive? Again, disk space is limited on my netbook.

Thanks

Ross