Service manual 2016 purchased from dealer, pdf available? & owners manual?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joel S.

Reaction score
say guys, hope this doesn't start any issues . At the time of the bike purchase, the service manual was also purchased from the parts people. I need one of those for sure. anyways, my other bikes, i have the hard copy, from the dealer purchased. i also have a soft copy on my phone and tablet, when traveling or to print pages to keep separate, say like torque specs.

thanks much for the time,

Joel

Also the downloadable owners manual, does not seem to be clickable, say looking in the index, being able to click, seat, then be taken to chapter 4 page XX . i got this off the yamaha site, am i missing something, or is that how it works ?? thanks !!

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as the shop manual is concerned, I do not believe there is a legal pdf version available to the general public. On-line "vendors" are generally selling pirated copies. I agree that the pdf version is great to have; especially when you are on the road!

I think the downloadable pdf owner's manual on the US site is less useful than the one from Yamaha Canada. The Canadian bike is a little different in terms of ignition immobilizer etc. May be some other differences too but the pdf is searchable, printable and has active links.

https://www.yamaha-dealers.ca/ca/secured/publications/76b0edae4379cfa3d73be2009656aede/57ebc282/ownersManual/E/B96-28199-70-E0.pdf

Not sure if the link will work for you or if you will have to search for it yourself. If you have a full version of Adobe, you may be able to remove the print restrictions from the US version of the file.

Last edited by a moderator:
the downloadable owners manual, does not seem to be clickable, say looking in the index, being able to click, seat, then be taken to chapter 4 page XX . i got this off the yamaha site, am i missing something, or is that how it works ?? thanks !!
Joel,

In most .PDF files, when you open the file you will see a magnifying glass (FIND) icon at the top of the page. It may be stashed in Tools, if it is not visible. Click the icon, and type in SEAT. You will get every mention of Seat in that file, in order. Keep clicking the NEXT (down-arrow) button to get to the right place. "Lower" might be a better term, there, for the SEAT search. The "Find" results may be listed in a sidebar column (only in certain .PDF files), which will be a clickable list.

Cheers,

Infrared

In the Canadian version that I referenced, you can use the search function as per infrared (above). You can also click on an item in the index and it links to the appropriate page.

Joel,

In most .PDF files, when you open the file you will see a magnifying glass (FIND) icon at the top of the page. It may be stashed in Tools, if it is not visible. Click the icon, and type in SEAT. You will get every mention of Seat in that file, in order. Keep clicking the NEXT (down-arrow) button to get to the right place. "Lower" might be a better term, there, for the SEAT search. The "Find" results may be listed in a sidebar column (only in certain .PDF files), which will be a clickable list.

Cheers,

Infrared
Yes but the US .pdf owners manual is a graphic scan of paper, not a properly mastered cross referenced PDF. It's not searchable and not internally linked.

In the U.K., dealers do have proper PDF manuals, fully searchable and printable but the edit->copy function is disabled.

In 2006 they were on CD, I don't know if that is still the case, but they still have the proper PDFs.

the canada one sounds nice,
smile.png

now if i can just find the link, lol. i'll look more after work

all good, found it, thanks!!!

that one seems nice, pages hotlinked and stuff.

thanks again

now if i can just find the other thing, lol. or i could get to scanning the big book,

There's another option for printing pages if the program doesn't allow it. I've been using a Print Screen program on all my Windows computers for years now that makes the "Print Screen" button on the keyboard actually do what it says. You have many options for what happens when you press the button, but I default to printing whatever is displayed on the monitor. Get it here:

https://download.cnet.com/Gadwin-PrintScreen/3000-2094_4-10123018.html

Adobe will print the pages in the USA downloadable version of the manual. The index isn't hot-linked and the text isn't searchable. Picture of a page rather than text on a page. Also has some sort of watermark on each page. Might be able to run it through an OCR program but errors are inevitable. AFAIK, the only significant difference in the Canadian model and the US model is the immobilizer. Maybe some display units as well (miles vs kilometers, litres vs gallons and °C vs °F).

thanks again guys, the owners manual i have both on my phone and tablet. so thats good.

looking like the service manual isn't going to happen, shoot.

My 2003 owner's manual is a fully searchable PDF text file, not a graphic scan, but it wasn't printable. Things have changed......

I sorta might have printed it by doing screen captures and printing those........