Seth Lamm, Russell Day Long, Corbin

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bababang

Reaction score
On my 09, I spent over $1000 for a Russell day long, and it was a very nice seat option for my FJR. The only problem I had with the RDL was the additional height it added to my seating position. In addition, I had an earlier Corbin seat that was hard as a rock, however it actually lowered my seat position which I liked a lot.

I'm hoping Seth Lamm seats will position the rider to the stock position or even better a lower position. I just bought an extra seat on ebay so I have the ability to send a seat with the understanding there may be a long wait time. I sent Seth an email for general inquiry, but haven't heard anything yet, (3 days ago). I also have read a few complaints on the forum with Lamm seats customer support and although I can be be very patient I don't want to get the run around either.

Does anybody know how the Lamm seats will position the rider based on the stock height?

Any other thoughts or advice on another seat option?

Does anybody know what the wait time is for Russell and Lamm seats?

I had Seth build one for me a couple of years ago and he was good and quick, very responsive. Not sure about now... My favorite set up on the FJR has been a Sargent seat and beads. I like the Sargent over Corbin due to being able to adjust the height just as stock and it is firm enough and flat. The beads made it perfect.

It is not just the seat height that determines if ones boots will be flat on the ground.

The width of the seat toward the tank that supports the thighs have a definite effect.

If the front part of the seat is wide it will inhibit ones boots to touch the ground.

It is a delicate balance to get it just right. If at all possible a ride in will be a positive factor in determining proper fit.

Laam did right by me.

It appears that he is working through his large backlog and that he has hired an admin person to bring some semblance of order to the process.

I have 32 inch inseam, Seth narrowed up the front of my seat as much as possible.

I can't quite flat foot with the seat in the raised position where I prefer it for knee comfort.

I'd call and speak to the admin lady to ascertain the real schedule, know what your top three concerns with the stock seat are so you can communicate them to Seth when he calls before building your seat, send your seat when they request it and be prepared to like what you receive when it comes.

I have tried several seats and ended up with RDL for my long multi day trips where I'm in the saddle for a long time, and I have a Laam for my daily ride where I have lots of stop and go, It's lower and narrower in front for better foot / ground contact. Seth is really bad on following up with returning calls, he leave for rides and doesn't change his message on his VM message leaving customer wondering what's going on. I suggest he change his message so people knows that he'll be out of the shop for a while but looks like he doesn't think it's that important to him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Laam has done me right with seats for my FJR and Tenere. Like bigjohn, mine is very close to stock height and narrow in the front for easier footing at stops. Attention to detail and quality are excellent.

Forget email or his website, use the phone to contact Laam.

--G

I just bought a 2015 Goldwing and contacting Russell seats in California. They told me if I completed the neccessary forms today, it will be a minium of late July before they could even consider making a seat for me. The seat I wanted, almost exactly like the Russell I put on my FJR, Charcoal Black all leather will cost a little over $1k not including shipping. Fabrication time, a couple weeks once started.

The FJR is a fairly tall bike anyway, but I'm 6'4", so I never had an issue with seat height, so I would not have noticed if the Russell made the bike any taller. However, when you send the photos to Russell, they are very detailed in their instructions to be sure the photos you submit must be exactly in the position you want your seat to fit the bike. So if you submitted photos with your feet on the pegs and the bike on the center-stand, that could have an effect on how tall the seat may or may not effect its final fitment to the rider.

Just like after several attempts to find the correct windshield with my final decision being the RIFLE which is Far superior to anyof the many other brands being sold, the Russell seat allows the rider to ride a thousand miles or more with NO butt discomfort what so ever. No Beads, Pads or anything additional required, which explains why they are so backed up, people know Russell, although not cheap, are in the highest demand. Buying an after market seat by how fast they can get it to you is not the best way to buy a custom made high cost seat that fits you as perfectly as possible short of going to the manufacturer personally, which Russell offers that option also. The time waiting is time and money well spent!

JSES!!

The Laam seat will raise your height a bit over stock, but not by much...at least that's the case on my seat. In the low position, I can flat foot, but in the high position, it's the balls of my feet only. I run in the high position...my knees have been thanking me.

Russell can, and will "narrow" the front of their seats for anyone who asks. They are limited by the seat-pan, but slightly narrower can be a big help for those with short legs.

You will still have to shift forwards out of the pocket for stops.

I believe a higher or lower result vs stock depends on what one asks Seth to do for you regarding customizing the seat to one's riding style.

My Laam seat feels a tick lower than stock. I believe this is because I come from a roadracing background and asked to be able to move around, slide up tight to the tank, lean off with knee out etc. Hence he made me a narrower front profile, and was careful not to go too wide on "side wings". Seat feels great and meets my goals but also probably contributes to the sense of a bit lower. Easy to flat foot in low position for my "31-ish" inseam.

patience grasshopper... haha. IT took a couple of days buy Kaarin got back to me and we have worked out a seat order. Since I have a 29" inseam, I was really looking for a way to lower the seat and still retain comfort. The Corbin, since it uses it's own seat pan, lowers the seat approx. 1". I inquired and Seth Laam says he can get a 2" drop and still maintain comfort.

I've had a Laam seat for about 8 months, and have taken a number of long rides with it. Made a big difference over stock for me. I think it slightly increased seat height, but not much. I'm 5' 10" with a 32" inseam and run the seat in the high position. I can't quite flat foot it. I just did an Iron Butt SS 1000 -- Oklahoma City to Las Vegas in 17 hours -- and the Laam seat was great all the way. No regrets about my choice to go with the Laam seat whatsoever.

I'm not sure if the LAAM really raised my seat - but the wider back and subsequent taper from the back of the seat to the front allows less reach to the ground.

Either way, I went from flat footing to almost tip toeing.... but its nothing different then what I had with the Russell I had on the 05. I grew comfortable with the added distances I could ride, and also the need to be stronger in my legs and foot control with low speed operations.... totally worth the trade off...

On my third season with an RDL and love it. It did raise me up a bit (I'm now on the balls of my feet) and I have managed well at stops as well. (30" inseam) Ended up getting a Heli tripletree as well since it made me lean forward more. First time I've been able to ride with a full tank to reserve in total comfort on any bike.

A side note: bought myself some new riding boots for this season. Soles are a little thicker than what I was wearing before and that little extra height is nice, adds just a little bit comfort/confidence at the stops with more foot on the ground. Not the reason why I switched boots, just a nice little benefit I didn't expect to get.