Settings Using Wilbers Front Springs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Groo

The Endless Font of Useless Knowledge...
Reaction score
Just got done putting in the Wilbers front springs, and changing to 7.5 wt Silkolene... and am trying to figure out where to put the settings as a midpoint to start dialing them in... anyone want to volunteer what they are running with the Wilbers?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm about 2.3333 rings showing. As in there are two solid bands and about 1/3 more exposed. I have clicked the bottom and top screws to the middle most position and I'm trying to fine tune it, mostly at the top.

I weigh 200 pounds and I about sit on the tank. With full fuel, there's quite a load up front. YMMV

3 rings was too sproingy. 2 rings was too harsh/jarring, but felt closer than the 3 rings. So I'm a tweener. The ride feels pretty stable over a range of bumps and a range of speed.

I think you'll find these springs to have quite a different feel. Before I tried to tune mine, at my original settings, the new springs would nearly bottom out and the front end would dive on normal braking. It sure did ride over bumps nice, though. It just felt piss poor stopping. Let alone in the curves. So I had to do the tighten up.

Is that a question? For me?

Let's see. I have the bottom screw (compression?) set in the middle of the range and the top screw/knob (rebound?) set in the middle of the range.

Since I can't play with the screws at the bottom of the fork while riding, I've been trying to adjust the knobs at the top as close to what I think feels right.

When I get out again over the weekend (or maybe sooner!), I'll work on ajusting the bottom screws. They probably are a little too soft yet because I have just a little bit too much dive on braking, and the front end feels soft on curves. Not good. Close but not good.

I have fortunately eliminated that dreaded stock "hop" that the bike had, as well as the seriously mushy feeling with the newly installed springs. Somewhere inbetween there, I should be happy. It's not perfect, but I know there's going to be a range of use, from bare bones to fully loaded. And that's just one up!

Here's an article that makes sense to me:

Suspension Troubleshooting

Last edited by a moderator: