SH__26? Not starting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanhands

Reaction score
I'll start with the history and then the problem. Not sure if they are connected but the whole story helps.

Saturday I installed my Zumo bracket and was going to take a ride. That went fine and Zumo turned on. I went inside and came back about 2 hours later to leave. Zumo still on (oops).

Turn key on, Green N light lit, Bike makes all the good sounds to turn on, Yellow Shift light blinking. Bike won't do anything when starter button hit.

Battery is OEM and 3 years old (A little bulging too) so I bought a new one yesterday. Put on Trickle charger all night and is now fully charged.

This morning turn key on and Yellow shift light still on, and the Dash says "SH__26"

I can't find this reference anywhere in the search because it is not enough letters?

Ignition recall was done a few months ago. Does this sound like a sensor or a fuse or just screwed and I need to take it to the shop.

I am not a mechanic and don't want to mess with it if it is something I am going to have to take to shop anyway.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Tan,

Here is a post with the same code for you:

"My 06 AE is doing the shift_26 error intermittently right now. Bike has about 24k on it, almost all of it put on by me in the last 18 months. I am the 2nd owner. Last time it did it, I took it in to have it checked out and they cured it by soaking the clutch plates overnight. They told me that they had consulted with Yamaha on it, and Yamaha said that what can cause it is letting the bike sit for long periods of time. However, I had not been letting the bike sit, in fact I had been riding the hell out of since I got it. So, at the time I picked it up, I told them that it had not been sitting, and predicted that this would occur again. Sure enough, 6 months later, it is giving me a problem again. This only occurs when the bike has sat overnight and is completely cold. I have found a work around for it until I get it cured again. I make sure I park it in neutral. The next morning when I turn the key, pull the brake lever and push the start button, if the shift_26 code comes up, of course the bike won't start. When that happens, I turn the key off and back on quickly, pulling the brake lever and pushing the start button immediately, before the instrument sweep finishes and the LCD diagnostics finish and the bike starts right up. Other than this intermittent problem, which I don't believe is a serious thing, I love the YCCS system. I have ridden a lot of miles in my lifetime and I don't miss the clutch lever at all. It's a complete kick to twist the throttle and click off a series of instantaneous, perfect, butter smooth shifts with a flick of the finger. And it is really sweet in city traffic. "

AND

"

Next, for SH_26 it says to:

1. Check for clutch fluid leakage and correct level.

2. Bleed any air from the clutch hydraulic system and check for clutch stroke (I assume that involves either examining the clutch pack or setting the movement described in SH_66)."

Hope this helps...

Here's what the table lists for Shift_26 error:

Sh_ _26*

Abnormal clutch movement is detected during check when main switch is turned to “ON”.

Detected clutch motor current when main switch is turned to “ON” is too high.

Unable to start, Unable to shift gears

OK so 03's link gave me a fix. You guys are Freaking Awesome. by cycling the key it started right up. Mine has sat for most of a year due to a accident I had and couldn't ride. Looks like now I need to find the Real fix for it but it works for now.

Thanks again

I did get the bike to start but when I put it in gear it stalled out. I believe it is something with the Clutch or the electronics that make the Clutch work. I can already tell this is going to suck.

Mine did the same thing nearlly two years ago. After letting it sit for a couple of days I tried starting it again and it started without problem. Never had the problem before or since.

My bike sat for about a year. Then it got ridden for a couple months then sat again for a couple. I will check it tomorrow when I am putting it on the trailer but it is still going to the shop. I would hate for it to work fine and I ride it into the middle of nowhere and then it stops working again.

My bike sat for about a year. Then it got ridden for a couple months then sat again for a couple. I will check it tomorrow when I am putting it on the trailer but it is still going to the shop. I would hate for it to work fine and I ride it into the middle of nowhere and then it stops working again.
That was my quote that 03 posted. Most likely, your shop will do a clutch soak, and maybe bleed the clutch fluid line. Hope you have YES. Not that this will happen to you, but I ended having the entire clutch actuator assembly replaced under YES during the second shop visit for the sh_26 thing.

Don't have the YES but can't be that much. What ever it is is what it is. Man that was deep. Anyway now all I have to is find a decent shop in the East Phoenix area. Any ideas?

I got a call from the shop today. They opened the covers and removed the clutch plates. They say they look great. They are saying the next step in the trouble shooting is to remove the Swing Arm and expose the Manual Actuator for the Pressure plate.

Does this sound right or wrong to anyone?

They are saying 2.5 hours at $80 hr to do this.

They also said that they would try to get Yamaha to help out with the cost of parts if they are needed beings it has so few miles on it. I am not holding my breath on that though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a call from the shop today. They opened the covers and removed the clutch plates. They say they look great. They are saying the next step in the trouble shooting is to remove the Swing Arm and expose the Manual Actuator for the Pressure plate. Does this sound right or wrong to anyone?

They also said that they would try to get Yamaha to help out with the cost of parts if they are needed beings it has so few miles on it. I am not holding my breath on that though.
I seem to remember my shop removing the swingarm to get to something when they were troubleshooting my sh_26 problem.

I got a call from the shop today. They opened the covers and removed the clutch plates. They say they look great. They are saying the next step in the trouble shooting is to remove the Swing Arm and expose the Manual Actuator for the Pressure plate. Does this sound right or wrong to anyone?

I seem to remember my shop removing the swingarm to get to something when they were troubleshooting my sh_26 problem.
Well at least they aren't taking stuff apart that isn't needed.

Tan,

Sorry to hear about this continued problem. I assume you do not have the Yamaha YES program on the bike at this time?

Either way, contact your Area Yamaha Service manager and get their opinion on your situation with your dealer repair. They are the ones who Approve or Disapprove your Warranty or Goodwill work.

Hope it works out for you soon.

Turns out it just needed the Clutch bled. Problem is you have to remove the Swing Arm to do this. I checked the Service Manual and sure enough you have to remove the Swing Arm. 3 Hrs but at least it's done.

Remove the swingarm to bleed the clutch!!!!

WTF!

What's next? Flip the main bearings to change the turn signal fuse?

"THE YAMAHA FJR1300 AE -- THE GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING!"

Ahem...I just did a full fluid change on the clutch about a month and a half ago WITHOUT removing anything but the side panel to get to the reservoir and the bleed nipple. Took me all off about 10 minutes to do...I understand removing the swingarm for trouble shooting, but for bleeding the clutch? ME THINKS NOT!

Last edited by a moderator: