Shad 46 top box parts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clutchless1

Reaction score
I recently added a Shad 46 top box to my FJR. When I tried to get the pieces I needed to complete the install of the top box I was told they may not be able to get them for me, and I might be better off if I could find another supplier. I did however find another supplier in Canada that has these parts in stock on a regular basis. So if you already have a Shad box and need these parts or even a top box, get in touch with them. You will have to ask them about pricing, I don't have any of that info for you. Oh, shipping really wasn't all that bad, $11.00 to ship from Canada to Maryland.

[email protected] Write to Trevor Davis, he helped me get the pieces I wanted to get to complete my top box.

Ride Safe, C1

I also ordered a couple of mounting plates for my Shad 48 for use on other bikes from adventure moto, got them this week. They are based out of Florida.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm interested in getting a Shad case, but I'm trying to make a few decisions on which one to go with: the 46 or the 48. Is purchasing the optional backrest worth it or save my money and either make my own or find another source? How comfortable is the backrest - I know it's relative to personal opinion, but I'm sure some feel strongly either way.

Herkypilot

SH-46

SH-48

We have the comfort pad, the reviews from the pillion have been neutral. My wife wears a coat with a back protector, she says the pad did nothing for her except move her forward (removing some support for her lower back). The pad is still on because the holes have already been drilled.

Thanks. There have been some good reviews on the cases: 46/48. From what I've read, guys are mounting them with fasteners/pinching the standard tail bracket. Has anybody drilled into this to see if its some type of plastic or metal alloy? I'm also concerned about the wife leaning back on this and it isn't fully secured on there. :angry:

Herkypilot

I wouldn't use the pinch fasteners that came with it. It you call Cosmo motors, they have the bracket for an FJR. Nice sturdy piece that mounts with three bolts that replace the three in the stock luggage rack. Then the Shad mounting plate and bracket mount to that. I wouldn't mount it any other way.

I wouldn't use the pinch fasteners that came with it. It you call Cosmo motors, they have the bracket for an FJR. Nice sturdy piece that mounts with three bolts that replace the three in the stock luggage rack. Then the Shad mounting plate and bracket mount to that. I wouldn't mount it any other way.

To each their own. :rolleyes: I mounted mine with the bolted pinch brackets and drilled two more holes in the base plate so all four are used. The sub frame will break before the trunk is pushed off. I'm a FIRM follower of the K.I.S.S. system (Keep It Simple Stupid) :yahoo:

I have a 07 FJR I have the SHAD 46 - I also bought the mounting plate for the 01-05 and modified it a little with an angle grinder - I was able to use the stock holes with longer bolts and some tubluar steel spacers - no cutting into my bike or rack and everything is now secured to the frame.

I think I'll order a 46 on Monday. Looks to be the size I want...I have plenty of farkles to install now...looks like I'll be busy next weekend! Blue Seas, Magnum blasters, G2 throttle tube, Madco throttle lock, grip puppies, back-off tail light modulator, fenda extenda...Man I need to STOP! :dwarf: :construction: