SHAD 50 Top Case

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

na1g

Reaction score
There's a write-up on the SHAD 50 top case in the May issue of Rider magazine. If you're considering a Yamabox, Givi, Bestem, etc. have a look.

IMO, the Shad looks less stylish, more like luggage, than the Givis but kinda classy and less like a watermelon. They tested it on an FJR but you can't really see from the photos how it looks on the bike.

pete

(How can I mount pontoons on my FJR? Rain-rain-rain. New England is about to float out to sea.) :Snorkle:

Go BC! :nhl2:

I had a Shad 46L some time ago and I hope they have improved the latch system and the thin flimsy lid. It does look different in the pics..... The GIVI 52 I replaced it with is ugly but, it works fairly well after fpour plus years and two bikes of heavy use and it shows no sign of breaking like the Shad did. Have they improved them? What sold me on GIVI was the mounting system that replaces the OEM rack, I've got over 30K on mine and its still solid. I carry way too much gear in mine too, I'm trying to cut back on all the crap and pack lighter. Like leaving the lap top at home and reducing the camping gear down to what I actually use. I doubt bolting an adapter to the oem rack would hold up to my use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Shad SH-50 on my FZ1. It is awesome. Note that I only have the topcase, not the Shad rack - I mounted my case to an SW-MoTech toprack. Anyway the topcase is huge; it fits my fullface helmet, jacket, gloves, Plexus, gatorade, and camera! It looks great too and feels very sturdy. And what's unique about it is you don't need to use a key to open or close it. You do need the key to remove it from the bike or put it back on, and you can use the key to lock it if you want, but it stays firmly closed even when unlocked, unlike every single other manufacturer I am aware of. And the mechanism for opening it is completely nonintuitive so other people won't be able to figure out how to open it, meaning it's secure even when unlocked.

It's such a convenience not having to use my keys every time I stop just to clean my visor or get a drink.

pete(How can I mount pontoons on my FJR? Rain-rain-rain. New England is about to float out to sea.) :Snorkle:

Go BC! :nhl2:

Maine's March rain total is within an inch of the all-time highest on record. Perhaps we'll float down towards you in Massachusetts and be reunited for the first time since 1820.