Shad top box and mount special!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBrider

Reaction score
I'm on the fence about snagging an 2013 FJR1300, my '03 is 10 model years and 4 generations old. I need a top box, I have Shad SH48 on my '03, which case looks better on the FJR, should I go with the bigger SH50.

Found great price on FJR Specific Mount + SH48 top case: $299 and mount and SH50 $349...good deal!

https://www.shadonline.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=FJRSET

Thanks for any and all advice.

One thing I've learned, go bigger. You'll look at the box and go, dang that's a big ass box. But when you start loading it you'll never say "Gosh, I wish I had a smaller box so I could leave some of this stuff at home."

What you say about the 50L oem top box?Very nice top box i think..

I don't know if it is available there..In Canada is available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, and you have a PM.

Read up some reviews on the OEM top case. I chose not to go with it because it's freaking expensive for all that you need, and it happens to be as uselessly oddly shaped as our side bags.
biggrin.png

I'm on the fence about snagging an 2013 FJR1300, my '03 is 10 model years and 4 generations old. I need a top box, I have Shad SH48 on my '03, which case looks better on the FJR, should I go with the bigger SH50.
Found great price on FJR Specific Mount + SH48 top case: $299 and mount and SH50 $349...good deal!

https://www.shadonline.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=FJRSET

Thanks for any and all advice.

SBrider,

See my post in the same section. I could not decide between the two either, but ended up going with the SH50 for a couple reasons.

1. It comes with the backrest, SH48 is extra cost.

2. The shape is more useable for storage.

3. You can purchase the virgin lid and paint to match your bike or buy pre painted lids and change colors.

I paid the same amount, but included free shipping. Not sure if shad on line includes free shipping?

I see that does include the shipping for that price. You won't do better than that price!

Whichever you decide, you won't go wrong with the SHAD Case, it rocks.

Good luck!

Size wise is this case smaller than the Givi E55? Not sure if these are sized different. Both claim to hold 2 XL helmets.. Also how is this mounting system? I hear the GIVI 357 mount is good and sturdy but how is the Shad? Also does this offer come with the entire case mount or just a base plate that fits there universal mount plate? I am confused by the description. If this is a direct bolt on for the FJR it's a great price it seems.. I may have to go this route over the GIVI E55. The Givi box with mount plate I was figuring was gonna be $500+. This would be a good savings and it appears people like them..

Comes with a base plate that mounts to the FJR, and then the universal mounting plate bolts to that.

FWIW, I believe some folks have used the GIVI 357 with other cases as well, so long as you have the mounting plate.

Not sure about the size difference but there's a lot of room and I did test and got two of my medium sized helmets in there with room to spare. It carries my laptop backpack daily with plenty of room to spare.

One thing that's great about it is for us commuters. I drop my laptop in when I leave for work, the bike is with me all the way to work and I get it out when I get there. There's really no need for me to lock my top box 99% of the time, and with the Shad, you don't have to. Set the lock for "Open" and then you just push the lock/button in, handle pops up, pull the handle and you are into the box. No fumbling around with the keys. It seems trivial but for your daily routine that you do twice a day every day, the little things start to count.

And because I'm such a whore....

I will have to do the research on Givi compared to the Shad stuff. I have never even heard of the Shad stuff before but seems like they have a good following. Can you put the Admore lights in these? Or do they have the option for lights? Didn't see where it was mentioning light kits. I basically have a top case and a GPS to buy for the bike and I will be set for awhile...

I think you can make the admore generic kit work, but last time I looked they didn't have a light kit for the SH50, but that was last year when I bought it and the SH50 was still semi-new at that point so I don't know.