SHAD top mount Y0FJ16ST question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fjrhauler

Reaction score
I've been doing alot of reading on the forum about adding a top case to an FJR. There are lot's discussion about the need to add support to the subframe. Based on what I've read, there seems to be several options. I'm leaning towards the SHAD SH48 or SH50 as the topcase (mostly for price and the backrest for SO.

These are some of the options:

- Use GIVI SR357 as rack (metal support arms distribute weight further up the subframe reducing chance of breakage) then mount shad universal mount on top of that

- Use Garauld "stiffy" support, then the SHAD topmaster mount F0FJ16ST, then universal mount

Here is my question, the F0FJ16ST mount actually includes a stiffener of it's own (see item 2 in the included picture). I haven't read any post that mentions this stiffener. Is it new? Is it SHAD's solution to prevent the breaking of the sub-frame? Just wanted to get some thoughts from those who know.

Best Regards!

Had a picture of the shad mount from documentation, not sure if they are going to show up here correctly.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzHKOI0KQOjQOUlWanpzejk3cE0/view?usp=sharing

Okay, first there are a couple of excellent and very recent threads on this exact thing. One involves a SHAD SH50 and the SR357, very good info there. Most of your questions will be answered there. That guy did a good job of integrating the two components.

The SHAD kit, which I have on my '15 ES, does not really "stiffen" the subframe in the way you need it to. It is also more of a pain to install than the Givi SR 357. The Givi SR 357 works better because it is bolted in front of and behind the normal breaking point of the subframe and bridges across the weak spot.

While I love the SH50 for its capacity and most of all for its mechanism (you do not have to lock it every time) it is heavy. Very Heavy. The SH50 with its bracket, not including the mounting kit is over 18 pounds. That is a lot of weight and leverage hanging off the back.

I am using the SH39 because it is very light and works very well. It also looks good against the gray of the '15.

My STRONG suggestion is to not install an SH50 on the SHAD bracket because it Will Break the subframe. There is a thread on that here as well, GixxerJasen had that happen and it was not pretty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. Not sure, I've read a lot of threads on the breaking of the subframe and not sure which is the chicken or the egg, but both the subframe will break and so will the plastic bracket that you mount the shad to, it breaks on the forward component of that piece. Also the metal subframe will break. One breaks then the other. I wouldn't trust it myself, the mount that the Shad comes with is plenty stiff but doesn't do anything about the bike. (Can't see your linked image)

You can read it and look at pictures here -> https://www.leanangle.com/2014/01/broken-subframe-on-fjr.html

And here -> https://www.leanangle.com/2014/02/replacing-fjr-subframe.html