shaft oil... tried searching.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use this in my Final Drive every change. Molly AdditiveI use a 1/2 tbl spoon then fill with 75-90 Mobile 1. I used this in my BMW LT and have continued to use it on the FJR.

It was VERY expensive to buy a quart of it which at the rate of use will last my lifetime.

It does come out gray so a very little discolors 25 oz of gear oil. It is totally black in the bottle.

I suspect Yamaha uses it as a FD polish for break in, as this stuff will "heal" metal surfaces of gears.

https://www.fjrgoodies.net/YAMALUBE_Shaft_Drive_Oil_Exclusive_p/acc-shftd-ex-00.htm

I can get 4 pumpkin re-juicings out of 1 bottle. That works out to $0.00166/mile. What am I missing here that people think the yamaha specified lube is so expensive? And I have used the Mobil1 and BelRay lubes, but in the end it seems worth the *small* amount of money to get the correct material. What with the anit-foaming agents for high speed use that make the FJR/VMAX lube distinct from the other Yamahalube final drive lubes. And all the other unobtainium and super-science that only the OEM's have access too. :p

Since this is a newish thread and people are seeing it

near the top I think it's safe to jack this thread

for a quick second...

When I pulled the plug out of mine the other day

the gear oil was black and stunk to high hell. Such

a foul odor I gagged!

I drained it and filled it back up with Mobil1 Synth 75/90

which, as most know, is a very clear, by comparision, color.

So the question is, does the lube always come out pitch black

like that when ya'll change your's? Or is this just a byproduct of

whatever is causing my leaking problem?
Well, it always smells bad new or old. Yes I use the Mobil 1 synthetic 75/90 and overdo it by changing each oil change. But may go to every other since usually pretty clear when changed that often. BTW, it takes exactly 200 ML and easy to use the common auto parts store funnel with shut off tube that has measurements on it.

doctorj

Availability more than anything else. When Mobile 1 works and I can get it any of a dozen places nearby, why resort to paying more AND mail ordering (since none of the local Yammy shops stock the magic pumpkin juice).

Availability more than anything else. When Mobile 1 works and I can get it any of a dozen places nearby, why resort to paying more AND mail ordering (since none of the local Yammy shops stock the magic pumpkin juice).
+1 (and DAMN good logic, too!)

Availability more than anything else. When Mobile 1 works and I can get it any of a dozen places nearby, why resort to ...
Convenient, yes -- suitable, maybe? -- but, logical (probably not...).

Efficacious logic and sound reasoning would counsel purchasing MamaYama's 'made-for-FJR' model-specific rear-end lube (or "equivalent" -- made to the same specs...).

"Available" and "Works" might not be the same as OEM...? :unsure:

blinding flashes of mediocrity!

(And I know for a fact that Mammy Yammy doesn't make it's own lube. It's sourced from a mass producer and labeled for them.)