Shaft Servicing Duration

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeykash

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Can i ask How Often do we need to service FJR 1300 Shaft.
I am not sure when was the last Shaft Servicing was done as i just got the Bike in 3rd July as Used Bike. 2016 Gen 4 Model
Anyone can share.
Tks
Jason

People panic about the splines at the front of the shaft being greased, but there is approximately zero movement at the splines. It's an assembly feature, not an operational feature.

When I pulled the final drive to have it re-geared I greased the splines when reassembling. That was about 55,000 miles ago. As for the final drive oil, I change it every time I change the motor oil (5,000 miles).

I just looked at the Periodic Maintenance Schedule for my 2007 FJR 1300A (Gen2). There is no mention of a maintenance requirement on the shaft drive. Final gear oil should be changed every 25,000kms (16,000miles) or every 24 months. These recommendations may have been revised for the 2016 (Gen4) model.

I just looked at the Periodic Maintenance Schedule for my 2007 FJR 1300A (Gen2). There is no mention of a maintenance requirement on the shaft drive. Final gear oil should be changed every 25,000kms (16,000miles) or every 24 months. These recommendations may have been revised for the 2016 (Gen4) model.
Next spring, I have some rear suspension work to do. Lube relay arm, Penske shock refurb and I will probably have a look at the u-joint and drive splines for the first time in 100,000 km (60,000+ miles). I think the original owner did them with around 40,000 km, just before I bought the bike.

I usually do the final drive lube with the first oil change of the season and it generally looks about the same coming out as it does going in. With two bikes, I rarely put more than 25,000 km on the FJR in a season.

My UK 2018 says every 6000 miles.

Yamaha does give different recommendations in different markets for many maintenance intervals, so to be pedantic you need to check the owner's manual for your year and market.

Thanks for replying

Quick question on U-joint lube. I have not looked at the U-joint in several years. Does it have a grease zerk? If no how and who do you service it? I have 70k on my 2014 and never served the U-joint.

Quick question on U-joint lube. I have not looked at the U-joint in several years. Does it have a grease zerk? If no how and who do you service it? I have 70k on my 2014 and never served the U-joint.
No zerk and (as far as I know) bearings in the U-Joint are sealed. Seems to me I read about someone who dismantled the joint and serviced (maybe replaced) the bearings. Anyone ever heard of a failed U-joint on an FJR?

Edit" Yamaha is very proud of the u-joint but they go for cheap on Fleabay. Another indication that replacement is not a frequent requirement.

No zerk fitting, one of the other forums has details on one person who disassembled the u-joint and greased everything, but it's like a car, you have to press out the bearing cups to grease it.

Now that many have posted about the need or not to service the drive shaft U-Joint, have any of you ever had one fail die to lack of servicing? I have been on this forum a number of years and do not recall any such issue. How about those of you who have in excess of 100,000 miles on your FJR??

Now that many have posted about the need or not to service the drive shaft U-Joint, have any of you ever had one fail die to lack of servicing? I have been on this forum a number of years and do not recall any such issue. How about those of you who have in excess of 100,000 miles on your FJR??

2004 FJR went 226k miles before crash. Serviced U-joint once early on probably around 30k miles. Didn't actually service the U-joint, but the splines on the transmission output shaft.

2004 FJR with 212k miles. Never serviced. No problems.

2009 FJR with 148k miles. Never serviced. No problems.