Shifting problem with AE - need help!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...An AE should be automatically matching engine speeds for routine shifting

The AE doesn't do any speed matching. Its only control on the engine it might exercise is to reduce engine power a little (by retarding the ignition?) to reduce clutch slipage time on a WOT up shift. Other than that, it's up to the rider to use the throttle to match speed (you'll have read in the annuls of this forum about a momentary throttle dip on an up-shift or blip on a down-shift to get a smooth change).

As for clutch wear, as far as I am concerned, there is nothing to worry about. My '06 must had had more clutch abuse than almost anybody's over its time with me. My run to work and back had me crawling at clutch-slipping speeds for most of the commute. Then, when I came to soak it at about 20000 miles, there was no sign of wear.

This was one of the "dry" plates

(click on image for larger view).

And I've done the occasional 3rd or 4th gear move from rest (VERY impressive clutch control, absolutely no risk of stalling, but very poor acceleration
huh.gif
).

...An AE should be automatically matching engine speeds for routine shifting

The AE doesn't do any speed matching. Its only control on the engine it might exercise is to reduce engine power a little (by retarding the ignition?) to reduce clutch slipage time on a WOT up shift. Other than that, it's up to the rider to use the throttle to match speed (you'll have read in the annuls of this forum about a momentary throttle dip on an up-shift or blip on a down-shift to get a smooth change).
I stand corrected then.

I was under the (apparently false) impression that YCCS was like BMW's SMG in that regard.

nevermind...

There is no clutch wear with engine braking. The clutch isn't slipping while you're slowing down, so how can it wear?

Other than neutral to first, never ever ever ever shift a sequential transmission while stopped, and absolutely never ever ever ever shift a sequential transmission while the engine is stopped, including neutral to first. Rotating parts encourage engagement of the dogs. If they ain't moving, they may not engage, and forcing the shifter in those situation will bend something, like an expensive-to-replace shift fork.

Note that these are different rules than an automotive-type H-pattern synchronized transmission. You can shift all you want with the car not moving in one of those, especially if you release the clutch in neutral to re-spin the input shaft. They will also take any gear while stopped with the engine off, but with no oil flow, that's not really a good idea. Other than dry faces it doesn't hurt anything, though, as long as you're easy with it, not whacking it through the gears.

...and absolutely never ever ever ever shift a sequential transmission while the engine is stopped, including neutral to first.
Too Late...! :eek:

They're all probably shifted when on the show-room floor by some neophyte getting the feel of the bike, etc., ? :unsure: :(

EDIT: Upon further thinking (and Back On Topic), the AE/YCCS completely sidesteps any reason to worry about stopped engine/bike sequential/shifting/damage gearbox/forks.

No operator error possible... :eek: ;)

Last edited by a moderator: