Shifting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLASH G

Reaction score
HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED ROUGH SHIFTING , ESPECIALLY 1ST GEAR SHIFTING. I JUST PURCHASED MY FJR1300 WITH 3000 MILES ON IT AND IM NOT SURE IF IT'S NORMAL TO CLUNK A LITTLE WHEN SHIFTING OR SHOULD I BE WORRIED AND LOOK INTO IT FURTHER. IT'S NOT REALLY THAT BAD BUT IT DEFINETLY ISN'T SUPER SMOOTH.

I APPRECIATE ALL REPLIES!!

Last edited by a moderator:
HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED ROUGH SHIFTING , ESPECIALLY 1ST GEAR SHIFTING. I JUST PURCHASED MY FJR1300 WITH 3000 MILES ON IT AND IM NOT SURE IF IT'S NORMAL TO CLUNK A LITTLE WHEN SHIFTING OR SHOULD I BE WORRIED AND LOOK INTO IT FURTHER. IT'S NOT REALLY THAT BAD BUT IT DEFINETLY ISN'T SUPER SMOOTH.I APPRECIATE ALL REPLIES!!
I have an 07 AE with 700 miles and it is the quietest shifting bike I have ever had including ones I have test ridden. On all the other bikes, I chalked it up to be bad clutch work on my part but the AE does all of the clutch work for me now. I love the electric shift feature.

My 07 had disappointingly clunky shifting for the first 1900 miles. Then I soaked the clutch plates and it is now clunk free and better shifting than my well broken in 26K FZ-1. It was well worth the effort and only cost a few bucks for the cover gasket and fresh oil.

My Gen1 clunks so bad I'm embarrassed to drop into gear at an intersection. I've even had it register on the Richter Scale at Cal Tech in the morning when I go to work. :eek:mg2:

I have an 06 fjr and it was that way also. I bumped the idle up a little and now I double clutch before I put in in gear and that seemed to take care of it. It seems you just have to patient with it going into 1st. Give the clutch time to fully engage.