Shock needed for Greg L. Between GA and Minnesota

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talked to him.

Details should probably be left private.

As most Forum members know, I have no earthly idea how to remove or install a shock absorber. Hell, I don't know how to install anything more complicated than a bumper sticker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spoke to Gregg this morning. He drained his aux fuel cell and rearranged some items to distribute weight better. Said rear is pretty rough but livable on slab. He's considering just finishing out with it as is. He has my info and I've already dug out my old rear shock and needed tools. He'lol update me tomorrow if we're going to change it out.

Uncle Hud, he said to thank you for your offer as well.

Thanks to everyone else for offering up parts and help as well!

Yes, it does sound like me. In fact, I got a call from IBR staff for my opinion and it sounds like some of my thoughts (or affirmations) were relayed given BikerChuck's post.

Not ideal, but I have ridden 1000 miles before with a blown shock, adjusted the headlights, lightened, and did a sort of perpetual pull-up with a tilted bike. Riding the straightest route to the barn is an option...sort of like a FJR rigid tail.

Good luck Greg! Ride smooth. Ride safe.

Spoke to Mr. L's voice mail this morning, early, and he spoke to mine.

No bonuses on the path to/from ATL, so he's headed north. Chuck, be ready, brother!

Me? I went for a 6-hour ride to check out my shock absorber. 😎

One problem Gregg encountered was a dealership without our collective knowledge of these bikes. He was told, quite mistakenly, that the Gen 3 rear shock wouldn't work. When I spoke to him last evening and assured him that I have personally installed one on my Gen 2 he realized that would give him far more options. Dealer network was only searched for a Gen 2 shock.

I told him I'll keep my phone handy and my employer is fairly reasonable. If he needs me to leave work early or for a few hours I will do it. He seemed willing to chance what he has for the remainder of the event but if needed knows I'll be available.

I can vouch that the Gen 3 shock will work for him as my stock shock out of my 2013 is riding around the country in Erik Lipps 2012...