Shoei GT Air - Too Tight ?!?! Look Here

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warpdrv

Reaction score
If you got your GT Air like I did and the cheekpads are way too tight and causing you to chew the insides of your mouth..... don't buy the replacement thinner cheekpads for a ridiculous amount of money..... $50 for the set
fool.gif

Pull out the cheek pads and thin out the foam yourself....

IMG_20140825_141808.jpg

IMG_20140825_141922.jpg

IMG_20140825_141940.jpg

This is the stock 35mm foam, you can trim the dark grey or the white and light grey depending on what density you want....

IMG_20140825_142021.jpg

Thin it out with a razor blade or what have you.... and it will ease up the pressure on your cheeks...

Hope this saves some people some money !

Not sure why Shoei did this when they made this GT Air but I wasn't happy with the pressure applied to my face coming from a perfect fitting R1000, that was probably due to be replaced....

I really like the helmet with the pinlock, integrated tinted flip down shield and sound quality fwiw...

The Shoei NeoTec was the same way. I did the same thing you did. Thank god the cheek pads came in a snap open compartment. :)

It felt like my face was in a vise!

Last edited by a moderator:
The 'Air is tight for safety and sound control. Not all faces are equal and there are some that will always need tuning.

We went to a local OEM cycle shop to look at helmets. The staff is knowledgeable and helpful in fitting a helmet. We have done this before at this shop. When we noticed that pillion's helmet was too tight they went to the stockroom and came back with the correct size cheek pieces and swapped them into the helmet for $0.00. I let the shop know that I can buy these helmets online for $xxx.xx but I would rather keep my money in the local economy and asked if they could help me on the price. The shop comes back to us and every time has met the online price. Getting a fitted helmet, with free/for nothing/no cost cheek pads and a superb price -- priceless loyalty to the shop.

For everyone else there is the razor
wink.png
laugh.png

I love the 'Air (mostly), it fogs even with the pinlock. I can find positions between the face shield and windshield where there is zero wind noise, nothing but engine and tire noise. I can no longer hear my radar detector alert. The back of the helmet is cut up a bit for safety, but in cold weather it puts air down my neck if I don't wear a shirt with a collar.

Pillion doesn't like the helmet so much. I've offered to buy her anything she wants but she doesn't dislike it so much as to want to replace it (so far).

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's not over think it Mr ionbeam.... :)

Just shaving off a couple mm isn't going to delve into a loss of life here LOL...

Still fits perfect, just more comfy...