Shoei Multitec Helmet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badcat

Reaction score
I got my Shoei Multitec today and went for a short ride, only 100 miles. The first thing I noticed was that it is way quieter than my Nolan and HJC flip helmets. This is the first helmet that I have owned that the vents actually pull some air thru the helmet. The fit is excellent, I normally wear an XL but a Large fit me perfectly. The weight of the helmet is good. There was some very minor breath fogging on the lower part of the visor when I stopped but as soon as I started moving the fogging went away. My other two helmets had tendancy to lift when my windscreen was all the down. The Shoei stayed steady and seemed to cut thru the wind better. I never thought I would spend that much for a helmet but it is worth every penny. :yahoo:

The fit is excellent, I normally wear an XL but a Large fit me perfectly.
That's what the rep told me at the show and my fitting confirmed that, too. So, is it half as quiet, 2x's, what? That's my next choice for a lid, but only if it is a lot quieter than my RF1000

It is at least 2x quiter than my Nolan or HJC helmets. The rushing noise of the wind is gone. There is a low frequency noise but it is not very loud. I don't know how that would compare to the RF 1000, sorry, I'm no help on that one.

I took a peak at it at my local bmw dealer. Best fit and finsih I've seen. The large seemed too tight and the xl was a little loose. Not sure what to do...I guess I'll stick with my Nolan for now.

The fit is excellent, I normally wear an XL but a Large fit me perfectly.
That's what the rep told me at the show and my fitting confirmed that, too. So, is it half as quiet, 2x's, what? That's my next choice for a lid, but only if it is a lot quieter than my RF1000
I'm contemplating going from the RF-1000 to a Multitech too. Actually, my wife would take my RF-1000. I'm conerned about the Multitech's weight, air distribution, and noise vs. the RF-1000. The RF-1000 is pretty decent at all 3 of those, but I would like the convenience of the flip up. I had an HJC Sy-Max before and hated it. I'm more concerned about the weight than anything. I'll have to wait until February for the Chicago show to get a chance to check one out. Let me know if you make the switch and your thoughts.

Smoke

Chicago Motorcycle says they have some in stock. I'm going to ditch work for a few minutes on Friday and see if they really have one in stock I can take a look at.

Chicago Motorcycle says they have some in stock. I'm going to ditch work for a few minutes on Friday and see if they really have one in stock I can take a look at.
Sweet! I wish I lived closer to a big city. 2+hrs to Chicago, Indianapolis, St. Louis....

Let us know what you think TriggerT and what helmet are you wearing now?

Well, as things are right now, I might not make it this Friday. My mother in law is in ICU, so my wife in up in WI with her, and I am at home taking care of our 1 year old. I will let you know as soon as I get a chance to look the helmet over.

I am wearing a Shoei RF-800 right now, which is due to be replaced. I will either go with the multitec, or the 1100.

TriggerT....I've worn the Shoei RF 1000 & the eleven back to back...the eleven was slightly lighter, but the RF 1000 was alot quieter.....just FYI....& I bought the RF 1000....

TriggerT....I've worn the Shoei RF 1000 & the eleven back to back...the eleven was slightly lighter, but the RF 1000 was alot quieter.....just FYI....& I bought the RF 1000....
The X-11 is noiser because it vents air a lot better. More airflow = more noise. So pick your helmet according to what priority you have. Here in the oven of the desert southwest, the X-11's venting attributes are heartily welcomed.

I know you live in The Great White North there Mikey, but you would think that since you are full of hot air, the X-11 would have been more to your liking. :p :D

As for the Multitec, I got to try one on at the Phoenix Motorcycle show. I was impressed. Not sure about the sizing claims, as the "Small" seemed to fit my pea head just as well as all my other Shoei and HJC "smalls". It sure looked like a quality helmet, but as with most Shoei's, kind of pricey. My big concern is ear pocket space. I use flip helmets for my LD riding when I also happen to be wearing my etymotic ER-6 earbud speakers. The comfort when wearing those earbuds is directly related to how much space there is around my ears. Any pressure on my ears by the helmet when wearing the earbuds = pain. In my X-11, with careful placement, I can get a few hours of use out of the earbuds before pain sets it because the helmet, which fits really well, puts slight pressure on my ears. (No pain whatsoever without the earbuds in.) In my HJC, which has huge, cavernous ear pockets, I can wear the earbuds indefinitely, (24 hrs+) as there is zero pressure on my ears. As much as I would like the new Shoei, it didn't appear to have very big ear pockets, which would mean digging some out myself. Not something I want to do on a brand new high dollar helmet.

I have had my Multitech for a few thousand miles now and it is a very quiet flip up but it does fog up alot more than my Concept. The device that cracks the shield open worked as far as eliminating fogging but ever since I have used it my shield will not seal properly and I now have wind whistling past my face constantly. I have removed and re-instlled the shield but it still leaks air.

SkooterG.....I didn't find a real difference in the air flow....but then again I am up in the great white north....as for ear pockets little buddy....you could carve them out to fit your air brakes....I mean ears :lol: in better....which would then cause you less pain & more gain in the mileage department :blink: ....just a thought..... :D .....

SkooterG.....I didn't find a real difference in the air flow....but then again I am up in the great white north....as for ear pockets little buddy....you could carve them out to fit your air brakes....I mean ears :lol: in better....which would then cause you less pain & more gain in the mileage department :blink: ....just a thought..... :D .....
I dont think there's enough foam that you could cut out in order to create such a cavern. He may be better off buying an XXXXL helmet and adding foam where he doesnt need it. :helmetsmiley:

I dont think there's enough foam that you could cut out in order to create such a cavern. He may be better off buying an XXXXL helmet and adding foam where he doesnt need it. :helmetsmiley:
+1 :yahoo: ....

I have had my Multitech for a few thousand miles now and it is a very quiet flip up but it does fog up alot more than my Concept. The device that cracks the shield open worked as far as eliminating fogging but ever since I have used it my shield will not seal properly and I now have wind whistling past my face constantly. I have removed and re-instlled the shield but it still leaks air.
Doug, call Shoei at 714-730-0941. I have always had nothing but great response from their customer service.

In regards to your fogging problem, I recommend you check out the Pinlock system. I've been using this system in my X-11 with great results. The only slight drawback (and I mean slight) with it is when riding at night, the insert can thrown off some scattered light patterns from car headlights etc. But I'm willing to put up with this than deal with fogging. When at a complete stop, I can leave the shield down with zero fogging.

www.pinlockusa.com

Doug, call Shoei at 714-730-0941. I have always had nothing but great response from their customer service.
In regards to your fogging problem, I recommend you check out the Pinlock system. I've been using this system in my X-11 with great results. The only slight drawback (and I mean slight) with it is when riding at night, the insert can thrown off some scattered light patterns from car headlights etc. But I'm willing to put up with this than deal with fogging. When at a complete stop, I can leave the shield down with zero fogging.

www.pinlockusa.com

+1

Well, as things are right now, I might not make it this Friday. My mother in law is in ICU, so my wife in up in WI with her, and I am at home taking care of our 1 year old. I will let you know as soon as I get a chance to look the helmet over.
I am wearing a Shoei RF-800 right now, which is due to be replaced. I will either go with the multitec, or the 1100.
Sorry to hear about your Mother-In-Law. Mr. Mom for your 1 year old, that will take your time. Hope things get better soon.

Smoke

Wear ear plugs of some sort and noise is a non issue. Shoei's have always had, imho, small earholes so I don't have as much room for the ears as in my Nolan or my Arais. My Nolan 102 is quieter than my Shoei TZ1 or my HJC flip or any of my Arais.

www.pinlockusa.com
I have tried the Pinlock system in my old Shoei Multitec and have found it to not be as good (even though being much more expensive) as the FogCity (I use the photo sensitive FogCity).

The issue I've found with the Pinlock is that about a month or so after installing it the silicone seal on the inside of the Pinlock starts to separate in some places along the inside of the shield leading to minor fogging b/w the two surfaces, the problem of course is that it's almost impossible to wipe that away while on the move or get it to clear up by lifting up the shield while moving, since the shield flexes into a slightly different shape when lifted...