Shoei Qwest

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sliick2

Reaction score
Friends, I bought a Shoei RF-1100 last year & have been pretty happy with it.I didn't think it was as quiet as the ads said it would be.I kind of went on the manufacturer's reputation. Now they came out with the Qwest model & again

they are saying that its very quiet.Does anybody have any info/experience on the same comparisons? I do where custom

ear plugs & sometimes the plugs get loosened putting the helmet on & I get some road noise.But if the Qwest is really that great- I might be tempted. Thanks for your thoughts in advance. Sliick B)

First, the Qwest is not an upgrade to the RF1100, and they were released at nearly the same time. The noise of the RF1100 comes mainly from the large top-vents. You kind of have to take some noise to get some air. Mostly, I would guess you just don't have your windshield karma completed. What are you using?

I use the RF1100 and can easily ride all day with out ear plugs, although they are nice to cut the engine noise a bit. I get no wind noise or buffeting, and found a Laminar Lip was just the ticket to take out the last bit of rumbling..

Hey Guy, I'm useing a Cee Bailey +4 tall right now(still pretty cool in the a.m.) ,& have a stock sheild to switch to. I'm open for sugestions on improvements .I have heard of the laminar lip thing.I don't know anybody thats useing it around here though.Thanks for the feed back.

Sliick:

I have a RF1100 and although I love the fit and quality, I was expecting it to be quiter than it actually is. I always ride with earplugs, and would probably do so even if it were "quieter" than what it is - just being safe with the only set of inner ears I have,,,

I know I could do better with a different windshield, but it's not been a priority yet.

biknflyfisher

Hate to burst everyone's bubble but bottom line.....good airflow = noise.....there is no way around it......( that's what ear plugs are for)....anyone who says different is definitely drinking the wrong cool-aide.....(& I also wear a RF1100)

Last edited by a moderator:
Think I've mentioned this before. I talked to the Shoei guy at the bike show. I'm a long time RF user, with a 1000 right now. They've always fit my blockhead really well. I tried on the RF-1100 and it just didn't feel right, with pressure points that weren't in the earlier models. The Shoei guy said they changed the head shape design for the RF to a more oval head, while the Qwest is designed for the more square-ish head. In any case, the Qwest felt much more comfortable for my dome. I plan to pick up a Qwest when I'm ready for a replacement lid.

Answer to your question...YES. The Qwest is quieter than the RF 1000, RF 1100, X11, X12, and Multitec, all of which I own. Airflow is great also.

Thanks to all,it was really good input. Between all of your responses I've been able to come up with an answer.Think I'll just live with the noise(however slight) & crank up the tunes,enjoy the good air flow with acool head. Thanks again for your feedback.Have a great,safe season. Sliick :p

Hey Guy, I'm useing a Cee Bailey +4 tall right now(still pretty cool in the a.m.) ,& have a stock sheild to switch to. I'm open for sugestions on improvements .I have heard of the laminar lip thing.I don't know anybody thats useing it around here though.Thanks for the feed back.
Slick, I can't comment to the OP about the Quest but I also use the Cee Bailey +4 in the winter. I had issues with buffeting and added a rifle block to my stock shield and it is much quieter with clean air.