Shoei RF-1000 Owners

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dudewado

Reaction score
I have used a Shoei X-11 for about 6 years, and it has gotten a little beat up and worn.

I was contemplating buying some replacement parts, but I noticed that deals were around on X-11's and Rf-1000's since Shoei has

brought out replacements for both.

Competition Accessories was selling the RF for $275 compared to ~$400 for the X-11.

Since I had heard that the RF-1000 was quieter than the X-11, and saving $130 bucks is saving $130 bucks , I bought an RF-1000.

I tried it on today and noticed that my mouth is pretty much right up against the chin bar. With my X-11 it was close, but this one has less room. They are both size medium, and otherwise fit fine. Going up a size would be too loose.

I don't remember if this was worse when the X-11 was new and got better as the helmet wore in.

Anybody else have this problem with the Shoei's?

When I was shopping for my current Multitec, I tried on several full face helmets including the RF1000. The RF1000 was a close fit in the chin area for me too. For comparison purposes and although it's a flip, my Multitec is a really close fit in the chin area. It seems (at least to me) now the manufacturers are making helmets a tighter fit in the front verses just a few years ago. Improved safety, different testing standards forcing this...dunno. My older RF800 has much more room in the chin area than any of my current lids.

Good Luck with your search!

--G

I have owned an RF-1000 for 4 yrs and like it except for what seemed like very average ventilation. I just recently purchased an X-11 (close-out sale 2 months ago). Both are size L. Yes, the X-11 has more room in the chin than the RF-1000. Yes, it ventilates much better and there is less wind buffeting than the RF-1000. On the downside, the X-11 is slightly noisier, and the front cheek pads feel slightly narrower.

My experience mimics that of escapefjrtist. The RF1000 had much more chin room than the Multitech that I have now. Kinda regret selling the RF1000 but needed the $$ to help pay for the new Multitech. The RF1000 is a very good helmet and you should become comfortable with it in short order.

I have an RF1000 which is about 3 years old in XL (same size as my last Shoei) which I ended up having to change the cheek pads to the next larger size. Stock ones were a 35 I put in 39's and all was well. I agree with your observation that the chin bars are closer, which IMHO leads to a bit more "fogging" in colder weather even with the front vent open.

I loved my 6 year old RF1000 and just replaced it with the RF1100.

The chin bar is very close on the 1000, I could kiss it. The 1100 has a little more room.

As a matter of fact, one of the goals I had when I replaced the 1000 was to gain room in the chin guard so that I could use my chatterbox mic. The 1100 has much better pockets for the speakers too.

I'm going out on a limb here and saying I wish I had never wasted good money on my Shoei (RF-1000).

The helmet fogs up horribly in cold weather(even with the breath deflector installed), my mouth is way to close to the chin bar, and the replacement parts cost is so much higher than other brands. Just the Iridium shield was 2x more than most others.

I actually preferred my old HJC over this helmet.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is pointless to compare as everyone has a different mug. What will fit for one, will not fit for another.

Shoei has changed their helmet carcass. I used to wear one, but it no longer fits me right. Get what ever works for YOU.

I'm going out on a limb here and saying I wish I had never wasted good money on my Shoei (RF-1000).The helmet fogs up horribly in cold weather(even with the breath deflector installed), my mouth is way to close to the chin bar, and the replacement parts cost is so much higher than other brands. Just the Iridium shield was 2x more than most others.

The Pinlock shield solved the fogging problem for me.

I'm going out on a limb here and saying I wish I had never wasted good money on my Shoei (RF-1000).The helmet fogs up horribly in cold weather(even with the breath deflector installed), my mouth is way to close to the chin bar, and the replacement parts cost is so much higher than other brands. Just the Iridium shield was 2x more than most others.

For me, I loved the RF1000 (and the RF1100) because you could flip that little tab on the side of your head forward and open the shield about 1/32 of an inch. No fog! You could flip it backwards and pull the shield in tight and cut out the wind noise.

For me, I loved the RF1000 (and the RF1100) because you could flip that little tab on the side of your head forward and open the shield about 1/32 of an inch. No fog! You could flip it backwards and pull the shield in tight and cut out the wind noise.
I love my RF-1000 as well. Fits my cranium like a glove.

I've heard that they made some detrimental changes to the RF-1100 which is disappointing. Now I'm scouring the internet for cheap RF-1000s. Anyone made teh jump from the 1000 to the 1100?

I just wish the RF-1000 had a removeable pad - even the sub-$100 helmets have that feature.

I loved my 6 year old RF1000 and just replaced it with the RF1100. The chin bar is very close on the 1000, I could kiss it. The 1100 has a little more room.

As a matter of fact, one of the goals I had when I replaced the 1000 was to gain room in the chin guard so that I could use my chatterbox mic. The 1100 has much better pockets for the speakers too.
How often did you kiss the chin bar? When you first tried on the 1100, did you get weird looks when you started making kissing noises?

I'm trying to decide whether its better or worse to have more room in there for safety considerations.

What Deacon said ..

I loved my 6 year old RF1000 and just replaced it with the RF1100. The chin bar is very close on the 1000, I could kiss it. The 1100 has a little more room.

How often did you kiss the chin bar? When you first tried on the 1100, did you get weird looks when you started making kissing noises?

I'm trying to decide whether its better or worse to have more room in there for safety considerations.

Sometimes I get a little board on the slab. What can I say?

Yes, I have a RF1000 with about 20,000 miles on it and a RF-1100 with about 1,000 miles on it.

What I like about the RF-1100 over the RF-1000. The liner is removable. Much more room in the chin bar for a Mic. Much better speaker pockets. Larger view port. The rear vents are built into the helmet, not an added on plastic thing. Shield locking system is even better with a more positive lock. Comes with the breath guard and wind curtain that where extra on the RF1000. Dislikes-- it feels a little heaver. I'm not sure if the new rear vents work any better or not, but I don't like 'em. I get a whistle from someplace on the thing that I'm trying to track down. (I believe that this issue is just for me, as I haven't read any other post on the helmet whistling) What's the same? Fit & finish are great. Shield ratcheting system is unchanged, and wonderful.

Thanks for all the replies. I tried it on again this morning after work, and decided to send it back.

My mouth is definitely being smashed up against the chin bar.

I have plenty of room on my RF1000 , I've had it for 3 years and like it . Next year I'll spring for the RF1000 , better ventilation which in the Georgia summers would be nice.