Shoei RF1000 or Arai Quantum 2 more quiet?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

river

Reaction score
Does anybody actually have experience with these two helmets, that can offer an opinion about which is quieter based on experience?

Thanks...

I use earplugs; then it doesn't matter. That way you get to pick on design and fit. I will say that I use the RF1000 and I definitely wouldn't ride without earplugs with that helmet. But i bet that would be true of the Arai also.

Does anybody actually have experience with these two helmets, that can offer an opinion about which is quieter based on experience?
Thanks...
RF1000: With the visor closed and both top vents closed, it's pretty darn quiet, at least compared to the old HJC. No experience with the Arai.

I don't have the Quantum 2 but I do have a RF-1000 and a Arai Profile helmet. Noise wise, they are about the same, I think. However, the fit and air flow is far superior on the Arai helmet. I would wear both, Arai beling my first choice, the RF-1000 second.

Fred

I had the RF-1000 and hated the fit, noise wise it was pretty quiet. I now have a Quantum 2 and really love that helmet. I feel it is just as quiet as the RF. Fit wise, it fit perfectly out of the box and only got better.

I have both of these helmets. I think the Shoei is a little more quiet. I do not wear either one of these for long trips as they both hurt my head. I just went to the Cleveland MC show and met with an Arai rep and had him fit me for a helmet. He pointed out that a helmet that does not fit properly will be less quiet. I would agree with that. He put a profile helmet on me and it was bliss, it fit me better than any helmet I have ever had on. The point is, get a helmet that fits properly and it will be quite and comfortable. Both Shoei and Arai have different helmet shapes to fit different head shapes, someone that knows what they are doing will fit you in the right one and it will be a dream to wear. :yahoo:

I have both of these helmets. I think the Shoei is a little more quiet. I do not wear either one of these for long trips as they both hurt my head. I just went to the Cleveland MC show and met with an Arai rep and had him fit me for a helmet. He pointed out that a helmet that does not fit properly will be less quiet. I would agree with that. He put a profile helmet on me and it was bliss, it fit me better than any helmet I have ever had on. The point is, get a helmet that fits properly and it will be quite and comfortable. Both Shoei and Arai have different helmet shapes to fit different head shapes, someone that knows what they are doing will fit you in the right one and it will be a dream to wear. :yahoo:

Thanks much everyone.

Rick, I've never had a shop salesman offer to fit me, I don't think they know how.

What did the Arai guy do when he fit you? Did he measure somewhere on your head?

The Profile has the long oval shape, the quantum the round oval.

Thanks much everyone.

Rick, I've never had a shop salesman offer to fit me, I don't think they know how.

What did the Arai guy do when he fit you? Did he measure somewhere on your head?

The Profile has the long oval shape, the quantum the round oval.
He did measure my head, but it was his 28 years of working with Arai that let him fit me so well. . I have to agree, I've never had a shop sell me a helmet and fit me for it. I was lucky to be at the MC show and find this guy who gave me all the size info I need to buy a helmet that fits properly. I guess , if I were you, I'd put a call into the helmet mfgr and ask where to go to get fitted. It would be worth it.

Have an Arai Corsair and have had several RF-1000, - 800, -200 helmets. If looking at the RF-1000, check the Corsair as the fit is almost identical. A real Arai dealer is supposed to have somebody trained to do proper fittings and recommend specific pad changes, not some teen who simply parrots "It's loose if you shake your head and it moves."

I really like the Arai. Always wanted to have one & have now scratched that itch. It fits great and has better flow for the summer cooling. But in bang for the buck, I'll go back to the Shoei when it's done.

I have a Shoei x-11. It's light weight and very comfy on my head. It has plenty of vents which keep my head cool in the summer time and the fog off the visor in the cold. I wear ear plugs and now it drives me crazy to ride without them.

I can vouch for the Quantum 2 in that it's quiet and made extremely well. It has a clean shape and it very compact. If the Quantum is right for your head, you'll like it.

If you're buying online, try Motorcycle Superstore. They have factory fresh helmets and even state the year made in the listings.

I tried on the Shoei but liked the fit of the Quantum 2 better. Just a personal thing. I liked the way the Shoei came in around the neck. Either one would be great, just get the one that fits you the best.

I own both helmets. It is no contest - the Arai is the noisest helmet I've ever owned. I wore it exclusively for about a year, then bought the Shoei. Now I only wear the Arai when riding my Goldwing because of the shield.

Just to show how much I like the RF1000, I now have three of them. I replaced my first one with a second one after a couple of years, and I bought one for my wife. It's my all time favorite helmet.

By the way, I can also point out that I cannot tell which helmet I have on as far as fit and the overall feel of the helmet goes. The only difference I notice is the wind noise of the Arai if I"m riding the FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had a chance today to ride wearing an RF-1000. No doubt it's quieter than the Quantum. You're right, the quantum is noisy! Sounds like two drummers sitting inside your ears just pounding away. I wear custom plugs anyways so it's not nearly as bad.

My EXO-700 is quieter than any other helmet I've tried and since I added the Aero Skirt it's even quieter.

2.5¢

I just had a chance today to ride wearing an RF-1000. No doubt it's quieter than the Quantum. You're right, the quantum is noisy! Sounds like two drummers sitting inside your ears just pounding away. I wear custom plugs anyways so it's not nearly as bad.
My EXO-700 is quieter than any other helmet I've tried and since I added the Aero Skirt it's even quieter.

2.5¢
Thanks for the comments on the Arai and Shoei. May I ask what size you wear in each? Can you tell where the noise is coming from in the Arai? Surprised you thought the Arai was quiet until you tried a Shoei! Must be a big difference.

I ask about size because the two helmets are very differently shaped and usually fit differently shaped heads. It could be that because of that, one seals better around the bottom than the other.

Is the Arai noise like buffeting, high pitched wind noise, or ??

Thanks, you're experience is valuable knowledge for me.

Latest posts