Shoei vs. Scorpion

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richouse

Reaction score
I have been doing a lot of research lately on helmets. I think I have narrowed it down to the Shoei RF-1000 and the Scorpion EXO-700. Things I like about the Shoei is the weight and the reviews says its quieter than the Scorpion and its suppose to vent alittle better. The Scorpion on the other hand comes with the anti fog face shield and the breath deflector. The whole liner comes out as appose just the cheek pads in the Shoei. I like the price of the Scorpion alot better but I'm not appose to spending more on the Shoei if its that much better.

My question to you guys is what are some of your inputs on the two? Especially those of you who own both or have tried both, which do you like better and why???

Is the Shoei that much quieter than the Scorpion?

Thanks for the help...

Not familar with the Scorpion, but did want to note that my RF1000 came with a "breath guard" and a "chin skirt". I have not had any severe problems with fogging, especialy using the breath deflector.

It is a quiet helmet , and I liked it so much I bought another one for my wife...(who likes it more than any of her other helmets)

Big question here is , have you tried on both helmets? Does one fit you better?

KM

Man, helmets are one of the most subjective topics there is next to "what's your favorite oil". Quality being similar in both helmets, it simply gets down to what fits you best. Go to a store and try them on. Wear each around for 15 - 20 minutes. You will pick one over the other, though neither I nor anyone else on this board can tell you which it should be. (That said, I have a Shoei RF-1000 which I think is fantastic. My wife hated the RF-1000 I'd bought for her and exchanged it for a Scorpion EXO-700 which she thinks is fantastic.)

EDIT: The reviews at The Helmet Harbor are your friend: Link

Last edited by a moderator:
I like my RF1000, but the visor fogs easily, even with the breath guard installed.

Fog City kept popping off...now I use Zooke anti fog. It helps, but does not completely eliminate the problem.

I figure all helmet visors fog under cold, damp conditions. Comfort probably means the most.

I nor anyone else on this board can tell you which it should be.
I am looking for the differences in the physical attributes of the helmets. Ie. Which one you guys thought was quiter (since the dealer won't let me take them for a test ride). Vents better. Lighter. etc.

I know no one will be able to tell me which one will fit/wear better on my head, they both felt pretty good. I just want to make the best decision after I gather all the info I can.

Thanks...

I have been doing a lot of research lately on helmets. I think I have narrowed it down to the Shoei RF-1000 and the Scorpion EXO-700. Things I like about the Shoei is the weight and the reviews says its quieter than the Scorpion and its suppose to vent alittle better. The Scorpion on the other hand comes with the anti fog face shield and the breath deflector. The whole liner comes out as appose just the cheek pads in the Shoei. I like the price of the Scorpion alot better but I'm not appose to spending more on the Shoei if its that much better.
My question to you guys is what are some of your inputs on the two? Especially those of you who own both or have tried both, which do you like better and why???

Is the Shoei that much quieter than the Scorpion?

Thanks for the help...
My wife and son like the Shoei, I choose the Scorpion. I can't see much difference. The Scorpion fits me better and for the price difference it's a no brainer. :rolleyes:

I have both. The 700 was comfortable, after I modified it by shaving a little foam near the temples, but it never quite fit right. It fit fine around my head but always seemed to sit a little too low, I thought about getting some 1/4" weather stripping and attaching it to the inside top of the helmet to raise it up. This was with an XL, the L was too tight.

The Shoei fit perfect right out of the box and was way more comfortable than the Scorpion. I thought the Shoei was quieter as well, but just to be sure I took a ride last week with the 1000 in the morning, came home and went right back out with the 700. The Shoei was alot quieter.

As far as venting goes, in the summer the Shoei seemed like it moved alot more air. I could feel the air moving across the top of my head, but last week in the cold the Scorpion felt alot more "drafty" while the Shoei was much warmer. Go figure. :dntknw:

I like the Shoei much better than the Scorpion. It's more comfortable (for me), quieter, cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

I too like both the 1000 and the 700.. i like the looks of the 700 better but the ratings of the air flow of the shoei is rated better and if not for price i would take the 1000 for sure.. but for now i bought the akuma one size too small for me.. i will put it on ebay and buy another akuma or one of these 2.. they are all so close and all have good raitings... pluss they fit my head shape well.

I too like both the 1000 and the 700.. i like the looks of the 700 better but the ratings of the air flow of the shoei is rated better and if not for price i would take the 1000 for sure.. but for now i bought the akuma one size too small for me.. i will put it on ebay and buy another akuma or one of these 2.. they are all so close and all have good raitings... pluss they fit my head shape well.
I have both a Shoei RF-1000 and the new Scorpion Exo-1000 which I bought for the built-in sun-visor.

I had to send the Scorpion back almost right away because of problems and while they did fix them within a month, I am done with Scorpion.

The difference in quality between the Shoei and Scorpion are night and day with the Shoei being way above.

Scorpion reminds me of the fast-food companies that promise you a fancy restaurant burger for "Half the Price".. my experience is that Scorpion helmets should sell in Wal-Mart instead of motorcycle shops.

Best Regards,

Shane

A few weeks ao I had a Scorpion exo1000 for sale that I purchased at the IMS in DC. I too had been looking at the exo700 and when I found an exo1000 in my size and the color I wanted, so I bought. Test ride at 35-33 deg and it had a serious condensation problem. It then started to freeze. I have had my rf800 out to that temp with only fogging at stops(understandable). I called scorpion and talked to their warranty department. The fellow joked with me that he tought i was crazy for riding in that temp and then went on to explain that concerns have been coming in about that very problem. Long story short----after many conversaions back and forth scorpion told me that I did not have leg to stand on--even went on to say that I should buy a snowmobile helmet. :glare:

Now the point to my post. I asked if my original choice of an exo700 would be better as it vented diffenently and he told me that the 700 might be a little better but was being redesigned to lengthen its riding season and that they were trying to find a quick fix for the 1000. The fellow in Srorpion's warrenty department even went as far as telling me that they had a cold snap in SoCal a few more weeks back and folks working there commented on the extreme condensation problem with at least the 1000 and I would assume the 700 as well as a redesign was in the works.

That being said, I thought the quality of the 700 was very good for a 180.00 helmet but you may want to hold off for a while. If you are convinced that the rf1000 fits you, as a long time shoei owner I would tell you that their shield system is much better. I could change out shelds without taking the helmet off--quickly.

John

Oh, the 1000 was louder than I expected and the little lever to retract tht shield mechanism buzzed in the wind. It didn't make sense but scotching it with a small rolled up piece of paper stopped the buzz.

Last edited by a moderator:
A very happy Scorpion customer here. Just a tad heavier than my Arai but on the whole, I prefer it. The weight is only an issue when I ride my R1.

A few weeks ao I had a Scorpion exo1000 for sale that I purchased at the IMS in DC. I too had been looking at the exo700 and when I found an exo1000 in my size and the color I wanted, so I bought. Test ride at 35-33 deg and it had a serious condensation problem. It then started to freeze. I have had my rf800 out to that temp with only fogging at stops(understandable). I called scorpion and talked to their warranty department. The fellow joked with me that he tought i was crazy for riding in that temp and then went on to explain that concerns have been coming in about that very problem. Long story short----after many conversaions back and forth scorpion told me that I did not have leg to stand on--even went on to say that I should buy a snowmobile helmet. :glare:
Now the point to my post. I asked if my original choice of an exo700 would be better as it vented diffenently and he told me that the 700 might be a little better but was being redesigned to lengthen its riding season and that they were trying to find a quick fix for the 1000. The fellow in Srorpion's warrenty department even went as far as telling me that they had a cold snap in SoCal a few more weeks back and folks working there commented on the extreme condensation problem with at least the 1000 and I would assume the 700 as well as a redesign was in the works.

That being said, I thought the quality of the 700 was very good for a 180.00 helmet but you may want to hold off for a while. If you are convinced that the rf1000 fits you, as a long time shoei owner I would tell you that their shield system is much better. I could change out shelds without taking the helmet off--quickly.

John

Oh, the 1000 was louder than I expected and the little lever to retract tht shield mechanism buzzed in the wind. It didn't make sense but scotching it with a small rolled up piece of paper stopped the buzz.
Condensation buildup is the major problem I am having in 50 degree weather and Scorpion's answer to me was that "condensation" is NOT "fogging".

This is the LAST Scorpion product I ever buy.

Best Regards,

Shane

John

Condensation buildup is the major problem I am having in 50 degree weather and Scorpion's answer to me was that "condensation" is NOT "fogging".

This is the LAST Scorpion product I ever buy.

Best Regards,

Shane

The fellow I talked to did not seem to take notice of my problem at all until I told him that my 10 year old rf800 did not exhibit this problem. His response was "So what your telling me is that our helmet is not as good as 10 year old technology? That can't be right." A later comment was to the effect of "You have to understand, this helmet is new, so you should expect to find some problems with it....one helmet is not going to be suitable for all situations."

I don't think that I would tell someone not to buy a scorion, but just be aware of the limitations of the product.

And, YES, I know a 10 year old helmet is questionable...thus the scorpion purchase.

I had big problems with a Scorpion 1000. I was lucky that the dealer took it back and gave me 20% off a Shoei X-11, that I love.

I have a Shoei TZ-R and Scorpion 400. Overall, the Shoei is a better helmet. But the Scorpion is great considering the price and the anti-fog works up to a point. If you really put a lot of moisture inside it sort of rains down the shield but, you can see thru that unlike a fooged shield. I got good deals on both helmets this fall, $222 for the Shoei and $104 for the Scorpion, delivered. Size runs the same between them.

I have a Shoei RF1000. Its light and comortable, no complaints there. I originally bought it to replace my primary helmet that was rather loud at freeway speeds The RF1000 was substantially quieter. But after about three months, it seems to have gotten just a loud as my other helmet. Go figure. Guess I can replace the padding pieces?

I also use a starcom system, so I put the microphone and speaker kit into the RF1000. Its a little more difficult that other helmets since the padding on the back of the neck doesn't allow (at least not easily) wires to go behind it. And I'm constantly re-attaching the cheek pieces since they won't stay attached with the wires under them.

I've only seen one other person that wasn't happy with the RF1000, so take this with a grain of salt. Seems that almost everyone loves them. YMMV.

Personally, I wear a Zeus modular. That's about as cheap as you can get.

Two of my kids wear Scorpion 700's and they both like them a lot. No problems with the helmets.