Shoei vs. Scorpion

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem I have with Scorpion is what I had posted in an earlier thread: There's something inside the helmet that burns my eyes. If the vents are open, and the air is circulating, that's when it happens most. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, it comes on fast. Emergency stop with half an eye open, that kind of thing. When I pulled out my Scorpion yesterday after not wearing it for a year, it happened on the trip home.

This was my first Scorpion, so I don't know if it's something I'm allergic to in the foam, or if I got a freak helmet. Has anyone else had this issue?

The problem I have with Scorpion is what I had posted in an earlier thread: There's something inside the helmet that burns my eyes. If the vents are open, and the air is circulating, that's when it happens most. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, it comes on fast. Emergency stop with half an eye open, that kind of thing. When I pulled out my Scorpion yesterday after not wearing it for a year, it happened on the trip home.
This was my first Scorpion, so I don't know if it's something I'm allergic to in the foam, or if I got a freak helmet. Has anyone else had this issue?
"Soylent Grin is people!!!!!!!!!!"

You were probably reacting to either formaldahyde in the lining(made in China) or the outgassing of chemicals of the polystyrene inner shell or fiberglass outer shell. Some of the resins used in fiberglass can be nasty. Modern materials and fabrication processes may now be better for you.

J

The Scorpion 1000 is not the same as or even an upgraded version of the 700 - it is a totally new helmet with a different shell, etc.

I rode year round, including below-freezing weather, in a Scorpion 700 for two years and never had any condensation or fogging problems with it. My only complaint with it was that it didn't quite fit my head. I have two Arais now that fit my head much better, but I very much miss the no-fog shield and the shield change system from the Scorpion.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Soylent Grin is people!!!!!!!!!!"
You were probably reacting to either formaldahyde in the lining(made in China) or the outgassing of chemicals of the polystyrene inner shell or fiberglass outer shell. Some of the resins used in fiberglass can be nasty. Modern materials and fabrication processes may now be better for you.

J

Yes. Yes I am people. :)

In 20+ years of wearing helmets, this is the first time I've ever had anything like that, and only that one helmet. Weird.

<snip>You were probably reacting to either formaldahyde in the lining(made in China) or the outgassing of chemicals of the polystyrene inner shell or fiberglass outer shell. Some of the resins used in fiberglass can be nasty.
In 20+ years of wearing helmets, this is the first time I've ever had anything like that, and only that one helmet. Weird.
In a related case : S.O. and I have both owned '90s and newer (Pacific Rim) cars that required frequent cleaning of the inside of the windshield due to outgassing of chemicals from the plastic dash/interior; and the deposition of same on the glass. This is much more bothersome when new -- but, continues for years (decreases as time passes).

We're both non-smokers.

Also related: many (maybe most?) helmets are/will be China sourced.

I've got an exo-700 and like it. I tried several Shoei's and they just didn't fit my head right - they seemed kind of 'bulbous' on top, the scorpion fit right. The shield and lens so far I have been unable to fog up, even when trying. I haven't ridden w/ a shoei to compare noise but my 700 seems to be about as loud as my cheap HJC at freeway speeds.

Hope this helped.

Josh

On the eye problems it could be as simple as you are getting old. Yes, some people get dry eyes and having air circulate drying out your eyes further will make them sting and water. I have trouble wearing soft contacs now that I am in my 40's that never happened before. :dribble: