Shoie GT Air – Cool beans.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKjitsu

Reaction score
I tried a Schuberth C3 Pro but the chin strap kept trying to strangle me so I took it back to the shop. The sales dude convinced me to try the Neotech and GT Air. I took the GT Air home and had a chance to try it out on a little 300 mile jaunt yesterday. It works. Absolutely zero wind gets in from underneath. None. Zip. Nada. And lord knows I tried. Stood up on the bike. Turned my head every way but off. Not a whiff.

Shoie must have put in some serious wind tunnel time on this design. The thing cuts through the air like a saber in the iron grip of a veteran cavalryman. No matter which way you turn your head there’s no grabbing, no buffeting, nothing. It took 150 miles before I realized I had forgotten to raise the windshield. And this at speeds some might consider imprudent. I religiously wear foam plugs when on the bike. But even given that, this thing is eerily quiet. At first, I thought that I’d gotten the instructions wrong and had the vent closed so I switched it the other way; causing the helmet to instantly turned into an oven. The venting is just plain spooky. No perceptible change in noise. You don’t feel anything blowing on you. Just a sudden drop in temperature. And if it really gets warm, you can crack the shield open on the first notch. With extremely minor adjustments in the tilt of you head you can direct this supplemental wind flow anywhere on your face you like. Nothing in your eyes and about the same venting you’d get from just wearing a do-rag and sunglasses.

The optics are pretty remarkable. Even though you’re looking through three lenses (sun shade, pin lock, and main screen) the clarity is as good as any helmet I’ve had. (And at my age I’ve had more than a few.)

The only thing I would consider a design and flaw (and a very meager one at that) is the chinstrap snap being clear up inside the neck roll. A small but IMHO unnecessary PITA.

And the downside of helmets with internal sunscreens is that you still have a clear face shield; which does nothing to hold down in-helmet temperatures: a BFD here in southern Arizona. But these small negatives are so completely overwhelmed by the overall goodness of the design that I’m holding onto this thing for dear life. In fact, I may buy another and stash it as a spare. With something that works this well you know some designer is going to find a way to **** it up on the successor model.

Good review thanks for the post.

I went with the Neotech because I like the modular design. One reason I went with modular is because when I put on or take off a full face helmet my ears feel like they are being ripped off. Do you have this issue with your GT air?

I like reviews by seasoned riders - they cut to the chase, no fluff.

I also like the fact this helmet has removable air ports - for speakers and/or ear buds.

I like reviews by seasoned riders - they cut to the chase, no fluff.I also like the fact this helmet has removable air ports - for speakers and/or ear buds.
^^^ +1

I would add something, but it would just be fluff. I'm too seasoned for fluff.
smile.png

I just saw that they had this new model out. Does anyone know if it's the oval shape that was in the old RF1000 and now in the Qwest or is it shaped more like the roundness of the current RF1100?

Good review thanks for the post.
I went with the Neotech because I like the modular design. One reason I went with modular is because when I put on or take off a full face helmet my ears feel like they are being ripped off. Do you have this issue with your GT air?
It's tight for sure; what with the shell tapering so much at the bottom and the neck roll designed to let zero air in. I've found that starting the helmet on a little lopsided so that I can stuff the top of one ear in first and then the other eases the process significantly. Coming off, it's tight but my ears are still attached. So far.

I just saw that they had this new model out. Does anyone know if it's the oval shape that was in the old RF1000 and now in the Qwest or is it shaped more like the roundness of the current RF1100?
Shoie liners seem to be extremely adaptable. I'm happy with Arai Profiles and Signet Q's. The RF 1100 and GT Air started out a little tight on the forehead but after a few hours of break in, both are all-day propositions now.

Thanks for the review I'm planning on getting one too, thought about a modular helmet but I like holding on the faceshield on a regular helmet, I'm always worried I'll drop the modular ones as I put on or take off.

I tried a GT on the other day. Fit was good a little tight but figured it would loosen up a tad after wearing it. So glad to hear its that quiet!

Thanks

My GT-Air just came in today. I ordered a large (about 60.5 cm, 23 5/8" head size). This is right between the large and Xlarge. I initially ordered the XL because my Scorpion EXO-1100 is a large and it never broke in enough. I called costumer service at Revzilla and they said to go down a size if I'm between sizes. I took their advice.

Its typical Shoei. Its very nice. The finish is awesome and it has all the bells and whistles that a helmet of this price should. It goes on tight and feels good and snug. I'm hoping it will loosen up some and it should, then it will be perfect. When the face shield is closed its like being put in a sound proof room. I have not ridden in it yet but I expect it to be MUCH quieter than my Scorpion. My Starcomm headset went in very nice since it has the ear cut outs. You could get some big nice speakers in there if you wanted. The small Starcomm speakers were small enough to put the (Shoei) included foam ear cut out plugs back in over them. The speakers are completely covered and Very comfortable. This helmet is a bit pricy but it is worth it. If you are on the fence about it go ahead and get it you won't be disappointed.

i have the 1100 does it run the same size?
It feels like the scorpion is just a bit more round and it might be just a tad smaller. All of my other helmets have been large so I got the scorpion in large. The first time I put it on I thought it was a little to tight, I figured it would break in. Well, after almost 2 years and almost 12,000 miles it still doesn't have the fit I want. After a couple hours of riding I still get a burning pressure point on my fore head the cheek pads are still tight enough to make me bite the inside of my cheeks if I'm not careful. I can't just put the scorpion on and forget about it. I believe you should be able to do this if the helmet fits right.

I have always thought that the scorpion is a loud helmet. Combining this with my fit issue is what made me decide on the Shoei.

I just got back from a ride with this helmet and let me just say WOW! I've never worn a high end premium helmet before. HJC or Scorpion was the nicest I've ever owned. It is much quieter than anything I've worn. Air flow is better than anything I've owned. Riding in 71* temp I could feel the air flowing and had to close the vent a knotch. Other helmets I've owned about rip your head off when you do a head check for traffic at speed. The air flows around this helmet so well you can turn your head and the flow of air doesn't give you any resistance at all. It's very nice!!!