Shop compressor recommendations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAxeman

Reaction score
I'm looking for a small compressor for my shop and need some recommendations. I have a very small area so I am looking for either a small vertical compressor or even a small dual tank compressor like a carpenter would use. The shop backs up to my tenants apartment so how quiet the unit is is also a consideration. Price isn't as important to me as durability, how quiet it is, and how compact. The most it will be used for is filling tires and possibly operating some pneumatic tools. What do you all have?

Hmm, the google say: Ultra-Quiet Air Compressors - Product Detail

30 dB, but at a cost of volume. .5 CFM. But, If you have a large tank, no problem. And remember, you can always hide a tank in the rafters and plum an airline to it for extra volume.

SpecificationsMax pressure 120 psi

Free-air capacity 0.5 cfm

Air flow is decreased by 20% when operating at 50 Hz

Port size 1/4" NPT(F)

Noise level 30 dB(A)

Dimensions 11"L x 11"W x 11 3/4"H

Max temperature 150°F (66°C)

Wetted parts 314 and 316 stainless steel, aluminum

hp 0.18 hp

Power 115 VAC, 60 Hz, 2.0 A

Tank size 0.93 gal.

Description Oil-lubricated compressors

I have the following one. Doesn't take up very much space, is pretty quiet for an air compressor and has pretty good capacity. They are frequently on sale and I got mine for the sale price with a 3/8 pneumatic ratchet.

I had two of them, one at my farm and one in town until some a**holes broke into my farm and stole it and about $20,000 worth of tools and my ATV. Perhaps next time when they visit I will welcome them with some 3" double ought magnums.

I also have one of the twin tank Cable Porters and it is fine for small stuff. I keep it down at my tack shed for my cousin in case he needs to air tires when he checks his cattle and I'm not there. But if you have the room and the cost doesn't matter, get the bigger one in case you get some pneumatic tools. Actually, their footprint isn't much different, just the height. The smaller one is louder.

https://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...air+compressors

It's important to remember that a twin tank compressor like carpenters use aren't typically designed for the flows required for most pneumatic shop tools. Carpenters use them for nailers which take very little flow. I have this one Link

It's rated at 4 CFM @ 90 psi and that's not enough for continuous operation of most pneumatic tools like impact wrenches and sanders/grinders but as long as you're not in a hurry it'll do.

I bought it because it got great reviews and as long as you have realistic expectations they're right on. I like it a lot. It's quiet, very portable (fits perfect in the box on my dirt bike trailer), and about a bullet proof as a compressor's likely to get. The one thing I didn't like was the pressure regulator that came with it. It found it's way into the trash in about 5 minutes. I don't need no stinking regulator.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an Eaton Compressor- 5hp and 80gal 2 stage. They make great products- slow rpm, quiet and durable. Check out a smaller one like - LINK

A 40 gal 2 stage with a 5hp would be ideal. They would build anything you want. Slower rpm means quiter- mine runs 800 rpm but 600 rpm pumps exist.

I have this EATON portable compressor. Works great for me. Quiet is a relative term so I'm not sure how quiet your wanting. I will say however that I would not define this compressor as quiet. But, I am convienced it's one of the best for the buck.

It's important to remember that a twin tank compressor like carpenters use aren't typically designed for the flows required for most pneumatic shop tools. Carpenters use them for nailers which take very little flow. I have this one
+1

I have 3 compressors.

A 6.5hp 30gal Campbell Housefield upright /serious duty/ sound ok

a 6 hp 25 gal Porter Cable upright - sound loud

a 1.5 hp 2 gal Stanley - sound loud

The two largers ar OK (fair) at running pnuematic tools. Good for nailguns but, when I am on a roll, I can keep them on a constant run.

Fair on an impact wrench, fair on a grinder but a lot of stop and wait to refill.

the little one really is only good for slow fire of a gun and airing tires (truck tires take a while)

Thanks for the input. Those Eaton compressors look good but are probably more than I need. I figured like the rest of you guys I'm going to end up with more than one compessor anyway and since I will definitely use nail guns before I use pneumatic wrenches, I picked up this Makita Compressor after reading some reviews. When I figure out what its limitations are I'll replace it if I have to. Not a bad price either, $240.00 with a $25.00 rebate on top of that.

mac2400.jpg

Latest posts