Should I buy the AE?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hola everyone!!! My name is Ruben, I am from Puerto Rico, and yessssss....I'm about to go to the dark side :assassin: I have ALWAYS loved the FJR and just a few days ago I went to the local dealer to see if they had one around...too bad, they didn't. They told me I had to put a deposit to get one since they would not bring any unless you'd purchase the bike. Retail price for the 08 AE...$13,200. Then the salesman gave me the phone number to a person that had one and was selling it because he was able to purchase his dream bike (a V-Rod :rolleyes: )...now he has to get rid of a 08 AE that he purchased about three months ago and has 212 miles...and wants $9,000 for it...I'm really thinking about this...what does everyone think....should I go for it???? I need your advice...although I already got the loan approved and think I'll be picking it up on Monday :yahoo: The only thing holding me back is the "clutchless" shifting issue...I tried it today and it seems pretty smooth...anyone against buying the AE specifically??? The price is soooooo enticing!!!

Hope this is the beginning of many postings and sharing with all the lucky ones out there...

Best regards from Puerto Rico (PR),

En Dos Ruedas PR (On Two Wheels PR)

Hey Ruben, I like my A, so can't advise you on the AE, but I wanted to say hi. I lived in Isla Verde for two years in 1976-1977 and really enjoyed PR. Good luck on your bike!

Thanks a million!!! I sure can't wait but am awfully nervous about the issues the AE could bring. I've always owned "clutched" bikes. PR continues to be a lot of fun to ride around. I live in Canovanas (20 minutes east of Isla Verde) although I'm originally from the west side...lots of riding back and forth. Hope to hear from you again. Take care.

Just purchased an 07A. I probably would have bought the AE had I found one at the right price. The local dealer was not in my "ballpark" and frankly, was overpriced based on what I've seen since I've been shopping around for the past 3 months. Dude, at that price I'm not sure you can go wrong, especially for the bike you're describing. If I were you, I'd be all over that AE like cold on ice :clapping:

Good luck brother...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hola everyone!!! My name is Ruben, I am from Puerto Rico, and yessssss....I'm about to go to the dark side :assassin: I have ALWAYS loved the FJR and just a few days ago I went to the local dealer to see if they had one around...too bad, they didn't. They told me I had to put a deposit to get one since they would not bring any unless you'd purchase the bike. Retail price for the 08 AE...$13,200. Then the salesman gave me the phone number to a person that had one and was selling it because he was able to purchase his dream bike (a V-Rod :rolleyes: )...now he has to get rid of a 08 AE that he purchased about three months ago and has 212 miles...and wants $9,000 for it...I'm really thinking about this...what does everyone think....should I go for it???? I need your advice...although I already got the loan approved and think I'll be picking it up on Monday :yahoo: The only thing holding me back is the "clutchless" shifting issue...I tried it today and it seems pretty smooth...anyone against buying the AE specifically??? The price is soooooo enticing!!!
Hope this is the beginning of many postings and sharing with all the lucky ones out there...

Best regards from Puerto Rico (PR),

En Dos Ruedas PR (On Two Wheels PR)
You say 9k?For a 2008?Really ?Just 9k?Are you crazy?A 15.5k bike for just 9k?Seriously?Why are you not bragging about how much you stole it for?Someone needs to set your pants on fire to get you moving!You cant even buy a four year old BMW GT with 50k on the odometer for that and here stateside the best price I have seen for a NEW 2006 AE was 14.5k!Ever driven a Mitsubishi Evolution?The AE is that much fun!Slow speed cornering takes some adjustment but otherwise full throttle shifts are as big a rush as a clutch model to me.GET your Ass in gear and get going before that dummmy changes his mind!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's it....I think we can officially put an end to my question...I committed to buying the bike :yahoo: I was just a little unsure about the AE versus a bike with a clutch. But when I tried it yesterday and read your inputs...that was the end of discussion. Today I get the money and Monday I'll be the proud owner of an 08 FJR1300 AE :clapping: I have formally crossed to the dark side :assassin: Now I have some thinking to do...I have a 99 Honda Shadow 750 that's all pimped out, a 2002 Triumph Tiger that I love very much, and a 2003 HD Sportster 1200 that has all the bells and whistles you can think off....I need to sell a bike or two!!!!!

Talk to you all soon again.

A dealer in Rockville, Md has a new 06 AE still and has $12780.00 as the sale price. Jump all over that deal and welcome to the Forum. First thing I would think you need is to do the throttle spring mod and get the G2 throttle tube. I can't imagine riding without a clutch without doing this 1st. Throttle tube is only $60 and spring release mod takes about an hour or so but is very easy to do. Pictures and directions can be found in the forum. PM me if you need any help finding it. Last but not least get the sliders ($60.00) on there so the first drop don't hurt so much. Ask me how I know :rolleyes:

Congrats on the AE. My only advice is to ride it awhile before passing final judgement. I was a little luke warm to mine after I purchased it. But after a few weeks, it really grew on me and now I love my AE. I still enjoy the "normal" clutches on my other bikes, but have really come to appreciate and enjoy the AE model. If I had it to do all over again, I'd choose the AE again.

Cheers,

Joe

That's it....I think we can officially put an end to my question...I committed to buying the bike :yahoo: I was just a little unsure about the AE versus a bike with a clutch. But when I tried it yesterday and read your inputs...that was the end of discussion. Today I get the money and Monday I'll be the proud owner of an 08 FJR1300 AE :clapping: I have formally crossed to the dark side :assassin: Now I have some thinking to do...I have a 99 Honda Shadow 750 that's all pimped out, a 2002 Triumph Tiger that I love very much, and a 2003 HD Sportster 1200 that has all the bells and whistles you can think off....I need to sell a bike or two!!!!!
Talk to you all soon again.
Give the Honda a big hug and say sorry but I got a new mistress. It's time for you to go!

I think I'm gonna be sick :puke: I paid close to 13k for new 06 leftover last year. A few months later the 08 came out and I think the Dark Grey is by far the best color for the FJR and If I had known I would have paid more then the 13k for the dark grey. The AE is a Rockin Bike and 9K is a steal to say the least. have a blast! FYI, There is a learning curve, 1000 miles for me to really know how to ride this bike but I was comfy on it after a couple hundred