Should I buy the AE?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for that price, buy it, see if you like it, and if not, sell it for a tidy profit somewhere like here in CA where prices are really inflated for bikes:)

Hey Ruben, I like my A, so can't advise you on the AE, but I wanted to say hi. I lived in Isla Verde for two years in 1976-1977 and really enjoyed PR. Good luck on your bike!

A dealer in Rockville, Md has a new 06 AE still and has $12780.00 as the sale price. Jump all over that deal and welcome to the Forum. First thing I would think you need is to do the throttle spring mod and get the G2 throttle tube. I can't imagine riding without a clutch without doing this 1st. Throttle tube is only $60 and spring release mod takes about an hour or so but is very easy to do. Pictures and directions can be found in the forum. PM me if you need any help finding it. Last but not least get the sliders ($60.00) on there so the first drop don't hurt so much. Ask me how I know :rolleyes:
The 08's are supposed to have a different throttle pulley so that the G@ throttle tube is not needed.

Sliders - Yes. I have only used my sliders for peace of mind and hope to never use them.

I suppose that this is too late, but I would have asked you to consider what you will be doing with the bike and why you want the auto clutch version. I think there are some very good reasons to own an auto clutch AE model. If you have left hand gripping problems, like due to arthritis or something, it's definitely a plus. Or if you ride in gridlock stop and go traffic a lot, another good reason.

But I'm not sure I would ever want one. To me it's just a fix for a problem I don't have. I enjoy having the total control over the clutch engagement that you relinquish with a computer operated one. But I'm also a guy that dislikes automatic transmissions in cars too.

Then again, at that price you'll be able to ride it for a while and make up your own mind. If you'd rather go for an A down the road you won't lose much (if any) money.

YCOMV

Last edited by a moderator:
Hola everyone!!! My name is Ruben, I am from Puerto Rico, and yessssss....I'm about to go to the dark side :assassin: I have ALWAYS loved the FJR and just a few days ago I went to the local dealer to see if they had one around...too bad, they didn't. They told me I had to put a deposit to get one since they would not bring any unless you'd purchase the bike. Retail price for the 08 AE...$13,200. Then the salesman gave me the phone number to a person that had one and was selling it because he was able to purchase his dream bike (a V-Rod :rolleyes: )...now he has to get rid of a 08 AE that he purchased about three months ago and has 212 miles...and wants $9,000 for it...I'm really thinking about this...what does everyone think....should I go for it???? I need your advice...although I already got the loan approved and think I'll be picking it up on Monday :yahoo: The only thing holding me back is the "clutchless" shifting issue...I tried it today and it seems pretty smooth...anyone against buying the AE specifically??? The price is soooooo enticing!!!
Hope this is the beginning of many postings and sharing with all the lucky ones out there...

Best regards from Puerto Rico (PR),

En Dos Ruedas PR (On Two Wheels PR)
Hi Ruben, I purchased an '08AE a couple months ago, and I love it! It's a great bike and the clutchless shifting works better than most riders with a standard clutch lever. I have a bad left hand so the decision was easy for me, but I would not hesitate to buy one if I were you. Good luck, Cavy :clapping:

Alright everyone....I did it :yahoo: Today, I took ownership of my new toy...I'll let you know how it goes...bad thing about it...I'll be home only one week during the next month so I won't get to ride as much as I'd like :angry: Great to formally join the group as an FJR owner.

Ride Safe!

Life is a journey...Enjoy the ride

PR,

You are going to love it. I have an 06AE. Sweeeeeet bike!

Born and raised in New York City, (Bronx). My dad is from Las Croabas, Fajardo and my mom is from La Perla, San Juan.

I visit my Bayamon School Teacher Sweety about 10 times a year on 4 day weekends. She has a condo across the street from the Airport. Next to the Mercedes Dealer and down the block from BEBOS Restaurant if you can call it that. Killer Chicken!!!

I would love to ride in PR but, there are way too many little kids clogging up the streets with those Scooters. They scare the crap out of me.

Welcome, Ride Safe!!

PR,

I would enjoy the hell out of meeting up with you the next time I'm there for a few beers.

In my opinion, the 08AE has an absolutely beautiful color. I would like to see one in an outdoor setting.

Indoor dealership lighting doesn't do it the justice it deserves. I read in your other thread that you live in Canovanas.

I spent a whole summer in Canovanas as a kid. (Not too far from the old Converse Factory) staying in my aunt's house.

Enjoyed myself in Canovanas, it was my crazy "bitch" of an aunt that I hated. Couldn't wait to get back home!

Quick question!....With no bags, I hope the bike at least came with the 6 Hole covers. When I go bagless, My bike looks like crap if I don't cover the holes.

Ride Safe!

I have had my '08 AE for a month now. I went with the AE due to arthritis in my left hand and not having to pull a clutch lever in was a nice option. I find I downshift with my foot a lot, (anyone else use both the foot and the finger shift or do most use one or the other?) for myself it is easier. I am really in love with this bike, it is great.

I find I downshift with my foot a lot, (anyone else use both the foot and the finger shift or do most use one or the other?) for myself it is easier. I am really in love with this bike, it is great.

I only use the foot switch to put it into neutral to fire it up.

After that, It's all Trigger Shifter Baby!!!!

This bike is undescibable!! You can't explain it to anybody and get them to understand.

I feel sorry for them!!

I've had my 07 AE for some months and a few thousand miles. "Love" isn't a degenerate enough word to describe my unethical affection for this bike.

I just got back from a month of riding a CBR1000 through the mountains of northern Thailand, a Baja250 through the Killing Fields of Cambodia and a and a GSXer through Bangkok slums... It was hell-on-wheels to become accustomed to the clutch again..

I was not initially aiming to get the AE - just the A - but several thousand dollars of a break on the price got me intrigued. It took me a good 2 months - and several pavement blasts - to really get the feel of the AE. Having the electro-clutch inadvertantly disengaged during low speeds and throttle-popping busted up an elbow and and an arm before it all started making sense. In the end, though: zero regrets. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

My biggest problem with it is the silver color-- not too hellcreepy. I'm on a biztrip in Finland at the moment and the feej is in the midst of a custom paint job. Biomechanical HR Giger'esque blood/oil/satan kinda stuff. Will post some pics when it's all said & done..

A few mods I've got on it now include... PC3, G2. N-Line shelf, Zumo550 w/ XM, Starcom1 Digital, Bill Meyer seat, Blinder M25 laser jammer, Adaptiv TPX radar, PIAA lights, Wild Bill highwaypeg brackets, Kury zombie pegs, upper/lower exhaust heat shields, passenger floorboards, front/rear sliders, undertail kit, hugger, signalminder, calsci +4 blackedout shield. Still trying to decide on an exhaust..

---hellcreep

I love my 07 AE but it does a have quirks. Best way to do slow speed u turns on manuever in tight places is to use 2nd or 3rd gear and let the clutch slip a little. One odd thing just happedned to me yesterday. I was in North Georgia and I pulled over to read a map. It was in 2nd gear and the engine turned off, kickstand down. Grade had slope downhill but not bad. AS I got the bike she rolled forward since the clutch never engaged. Had to get a farmer to give me a hand getting the 700 pound beast up. Not sure why the autoclutch deos not always engage when shut off ---- or should I wait for it to totally engage while running. Not sure if it's me or the bike. Been riding 120, 28, 180, etc and it is a joy to have such quick gear changes bbefore corner and coming out of corner. 4 cylinders - wow!! I get I nice grwol out of the broken in Leo Vinces.

Hey Scotty,

Are you sure you weren't in neutral? If the bike was in 2nd gear when you shut the motor off, It should have locked in gear in 3 seconds.

You are able to hear the lock engaging. If it didn't, you better get that checked at Yamaha.

Try shutting it down again while in gear and wait for the engagement. (3 seconds).

After that, If you can grab the handlebars and walk with it. Something is wrong.

Curious to hear what happens.

I love my 07 AE but it does a have quirks. Best way to do slow speed u turns on manuever in tight places is to use 2nd or 3rd gear and let the clutch slip a little. One odd thing just happedned to me yesterday. I was in North Georgia and I pulled over to read a map. It was in 2nd gear and the engine turned off, kickstand down. Grade had slope downhill but not bad. AS I got the bike she rolled forward since the clutch never engaged. Had to get a farmer to give me a hand getting the 700 pound beast up. Not sure why the autoclutch deos not always engage when shut off ---- or should I wait for it to totally engage while running. Not sure if it's me or the bike. Been riding 120, 28, 180, etc and it is a joy to have such quick gear changes bbefore corner and coming out of corner. 4 cylinders - wow!! I get I nice grwol out of the broken in Leo Vinces.

Any slim chance the kill switch was used but the key was still on?

By the way, En Dos, welcome aboard. You made the right choice.

... It was in 2nd gear and the engine turned off, kickstand down. Grade had slope downhill but not bad. AS I got the bike she rolled forward since the clutch never engaged....
Any slim chance the kill switch was used but the key was still on?
More likely if the engine was stopped by putting down the kick-stand, until the ignition is switched off, the clutch won't engage.

More likely if the engine was stopped by putting down the kick-stand, until the ignition is switched off, the clutch won't engage.

This is correct!! More than likely that's what happened.