Should I buy Zumo 220

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dealrocker

Reaction score
Just need to clarify few things before I place the order for new GPS navigator. I was told that upcoming Zumo 220 would be the best choice. It’s still not in market, so I am bit nervous to spend so much money on this unit. I read some reviews and impressed with the specs, but I want to know other riders' opinions before any purchase.

Thanks in advance..

If I were in the market for another GPS I would take a look at the Zumo 550 again. Unless Garmin has dramatically improved their touchscreen, I wouldn't want a GPS without physical buttons for the most common functions.

... Unless Garmin has dramatically improved their touchscreen, ...
IMO as a 660 and 550 owner, they have.

The absence of a MP3 Player on the 220 would be a definite deal breaker for me. I suppose the 220 is not intended to ever feed any type of comm system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I don't like music while I ride, so lack of MP3 is no problem for me. The 220 does support Bluetooth, but I don't know if that means Bluetooth to the unit from your phone or Bluetooth to your helmet. Also, I can't find anything that says it has an output jack for wired earbuds or helmet speakers, so Bluetooth may be your only option. The lack of a hardwired audio out is the deal breaker for me. Besides, the price is not really much of a bargain when you consider that you can get a Zumo 550 for less than $600.

I think the 220 will be a couple hundred dollars less in a year or two, and that would be a good deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
It all depends on your preferences and what you want in a gps. You can do a comparison on the Garmin website to see what features the 220 is lacking. IMO the 220 is way overpriced. Not much more for a 550 but I would prefer the 660 myself. I love mine sofar. No problems with the touchscreen even with winter gloves on. You can also calibrate the touchscreen too. Personally I can't see buying the 550 seeing that it is falling behind in technology.

Dave

I bought my 550 middle of last year for less than the MSRP of the new 220. It was on sale at the base Exchange but still that is expensive.
Go with the 550. Lots of goodies (options) plus it comes with all the gear to mount it in your car on those days when your FJR is resting.

Like others have said, I could not have a gps w/o headphone jack. That is not terribly motorcycle friendly in my opinion. Maybe they were thinking the opposite?

Personally, I don't like music while I ride, so lack of MP3 is no problem for me. The 220 does support Bluetooth, but I don't know if that means Bluetooth to the unit from your phone or Bluetooth to your helmet. Also, I can't find anything that says it has an output jack for wired earbuds or helmet speakers, so Bluetooth may be your only option. The lack of a hardwired audio out is the deal breaker for me. Besides, the price is not really much of a bargain when you consider that you can get a Zumo 550 for less than $600.
I think the 220 will be a couple hundred dollars less in a year or two, and that would be a good deal.
It is Bluetooth from the 220 to your headset . . . . it does not pair with your phone.

It is Bluetooth from the 220 to your headset . . . . it does not pair with your phone.
OK, thanks. That is a problem. No output jack means no way to plug into a mixer or other communications system. I hope this isn't the direction Garmin is heading for the future of motorcycle GPS units.

OK, thanks. That is a problem. No output jack means no way to plug into a mixer or other communications system. I hope this isn't the direction Garmin is heading for the future of motorcycle GPS units.
I bet it is cheaper to add BT output than to have a weatherproof connector for output. This may be how they lowered price. If I already had a BT headset, then this would be the way I would go. I originally thought BT was for phone not output.

I bet it is cheaper to add BT output than to have a weatherproof connector for output. This may be how they lowered price. If I already had a BT headset, then this would be the way I would go. I originally thought BT was for phone not output.
It would limit you to listening to only the GPS. I also want to listen to my radar detector and FRS/GMRS radio. Many others add music players and communications with their pillion. If I was going to use bluetooth, I'd want it to work from the mixer to the helmet.