Should I stay or should I go?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motorcop2396

Reaction score
Well its been 6 years with my 06 FJR, O the times we've had. But I have to decide should I keep her or trade her in for a new Victory? I'm getting older and the FJR just isn't as comfortable as I would like. I know I would be stepping down in technology but gaining more comfort in the ride. I have added as much farkle as I could to the FJR, but she just does not have the comfort of a recliner on wheels.

What do you guys think?

To head you off at the pass, Wife says NO to 2 bikes in the garage.

Doesn't have the comfort of a recliner on wheels?

Of course not. My 2 cents are as follows.

Depends.

No, not the diaper. Depends on everything. But here's how I look at it every time I spy a new GoldWing.

The FJR is paid off.

Once out on the "open" road she's as sweet as Tupalo honey. On the sweepers, there's nothing better. Tight twisties, whatever. Get the idea?

Good luck in your decision. Ain't easy is it?

Mark

Motorcycles are not like wives. Motorcycles can be divorced and there is no continuation of a bad relationship. The financial pain has a definite and comparatively low limit. There are no child support payments, no alimony. Once you divorce your motorcycle, you pay the fee and you are done. The motorcycle will not be beating at your door at 2:00 am begging you to let her back in the garage. You will be free to pursue any new, different motorcycle you wish.

The downside is that you sometimes divorce the one you should have stayed with. Sometimes your one true love is gone forever. You have to watch as another man rides her in public. This can be painful. You have to decide if this is a divorce you are willing to go through.

For my part, I don't like "trading down". If I get a divorce it will be for a better, prettier, more exciting, hotter model. But that's just me.

Good luck.

Motorcycles are not like wives. Motorcycles can be divorced and there is no continuation of a bad relationship. The financial pain has a definite and comparatively low limit. There are no child support payments, no alimony. Once you divorce your motorcycle, you pay the fee and you are done. The motorcycle will not be beating at your door at 2:00 am begging you to let her back in the garage. You will be free to pursue any new, different motorcycle you wish.

The downside is that you sometimes divorce the one you should have stayed with. Sometimes your one true love is gone forever. You have to watch as another man rides her in public. This can be painful. You have to decide if this is a divorce you are willing to go through.

For my part, I don't like "trading down". If I get a divorce it will be for a better, prettier, more exciting, hotter model. But that's just me.

Good luck.

[/quot

Well said....

Well its been 6 years with my 06 FJR, O the times we've had. But I have to decide should I keep her or trade her in for a new Victory? I'm getting older and the FJR just isn't as comfortable as I would like. I know I would be stepping down in technology but gaining more comfort in the ride. I have added as much farkle as I could to the FJR, but she just does not have the comfort of a recliner on wheels.

What do you guys think?

What do I think? Old @ 43? :blink: I wish I was 43 again, well... and then maybe not ! :unsure: Only you will know what's right for you. :)

A year ago, I traded my Goldwing for he FJR. Oh definitely the FJR is sweet handling and runs circles (or at least curves) around the Goldwing. And so much lighter and easier to handle. The test drive was night and day on curvy roads. BUT..... the FJR has never been really comfortable for me beyond about 45 minutes, and I prefer 100-200 mile rides.

A couple of months ago, I did a 300 mile trip on the Goldwing Trike. I'd love to do that on the FJR but I know it wouldn't be bearable. That evening, my wife and I went out to dinner for another 100 miles on the trike.

I have been thinking about going back to a Goldwing.

You have to decide what style of riding you want and what tradeoffs you are willing to make.

Good luck,

Ken

I've said many times that if I ever go back to a cruiser it would be a Victory. Hands down, no question. I don't view it as stepping down as others seem to. Not better, not worse, just different: different handling, different comfort, different style altogether. But I also say the hell with what anyone else thinks, do what's right for you and your wife. Good luck tho, I know it ain't easy.

The reason I bought the feej is the same as most on here, I wanted a bike the would do a lot better in the curves than my cruiser and more suited to longer trips. I took a couple of trips this year with some friends who were on cruisers (harley , victory and yamaha) and I was so glad to be the lead dog because trying to ride as slow as they were would've given me an ulcer. It was bad enough having to wait for them all the time. If I wanted to sit in a recliner I'd stay home and play on the computer. (ok bad example but you get what Im sayin)

A good long term relationship with a bike can be hard to come by, have you tried everything out there to make it as comfortable as possible? You could buy a whole lot of accessories for 1/2 the price of that new bikes that you may not even like as much

What do you guys think?

I think it is both a stepdown in technology and performance. Are you sure you'll gain the comfort you expect? We all know you'll loose performance and maybe reliability. My FJR has few farkles and at age 64 I find it very comfortable and just proved that on a FL, CA, to FL round trip. Six hundred to 700 mile days were just fine despite all the arthritis issues I have. I'm wondering why your FJR is so uncomfortable? Good luck in any case, Bill

A good long term relationship with a bike can be hard to come by, have you tried everything out there to make it as comfortable as possible? You could buy a whole lot of accessories for 1/2 the price of that new bikes that you may not even like as much
This was my first thought as well. Depending on what part isn't comfortable for you, it may be something very easily fixed with some extra cash.

I traded my Gold Wing for the FJR in 2006 and never looked back.

I now consider myself too young for a Gold Wing. LOL

Comfort is overrated. FWIW, I was never all that comfortable on the

Gold Wing anyway and it certainly didn't provide the overall riding

experience the FJR does. It doesn't hurt that the FJR is the easiest

to ride motorcycle I have EVER owned.

What part of the FJR is not comfortable? What farkels do you have on your FJR?

I have Heli Bar risers and a Russell seat and now my FJR is comfortable all day.

Do you have medical issues?

You will not get the recliner comfort on an FJR but then on a cruiser you will miss the handling and performance.

Obviously, you can afford a new bike. Being from Athens, selling the FJR shouldn't be a problem because of your extended riding weather this time of year. Should you sell? You're asking a gang of FJR fanatics... you can almost predict what we'll say. However, I would like to ask a couple questions here that might help.

1. Have you ridden the Victory? You KNOW this is a very different bike than what you ride now.

2. Will the extra weight and bulk be a problem?

3. Will service and/maintenance costs be an issue? It's hard to beat FJR reliability.

4. Does the Victory have anti-lock brakes? Will this be a safety issue for you?

5. Is there anybody else whose opinion matters here? Who might be riding with you?

6. To a lesser extent, will the people you ride with have any input here?

7. If this is an experiment, and you feel like you might be selling the Victory soon (if it's not what cha want), maybe a used one will be a better choice because of depreciation???

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Heck, go for it. Nothing like a change in style of bike to peak your interest in the sport again. I've only heard good things about Victory bikes. Which model are you looking at? I made the move in the opposite direction, I came from a Harley Road King to the FJR. Both ,I believe, are fine bikes, just have a different focus.

Interesting??? Im in my 50's and the Feej is the most comfy I can imagine. I've ridden GW's and Harley Street Glides. I currently own a '03 HD Dyna that I just can't get comfy on anymore. I would sell it, but they just aren't bringing any bucks these days!

So, back to the Feej....I recently had back issues: Bulging disc at L4-L5 and sciatica to just to make it more fun. At 6'2" and 225lbs I find the Feej to be "THE" comfy, yet performer of 'em all. The slight foward cant of the bike takes all the pressure off my lower back!!! Ya gotta love that!!

Good luck with your choice! You can always come back!!