Should I stay or should I go?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again, many great responses here. Annnnd the only thing I can add is what my experience has been. First, came from riding dirt for many years and purchased a Softtail Harley that I still own and love. I do suffer with chronic arthritis of the spine and shouldn't even be on a bike but what the heck. Bought the 06 FJR and love it too.

So while I live and ride in pain, said screen name, I have found while both style bikes have positive and negative aspects, the best item for comfort by far is a quality seat no matter what the cost or effort. Next is being able to have different positions in which to put your feet, ie. peg setups. And third make your suspension fit your riding style.

While I couldn't imagine life without two bikes it can be done but I wouldn't recommend it. But if I was going just to a cruiser, it would be a 145 HP Harley. You pick the model. Lol. Good luck in your find. PM.

But if I was going just to a cruiser, it would be a 145 HP Harley. You pick the model. Lol. Good luck in your find. PM.
Ah yes... That would be the ones with the nitrous bottles hanging off the side, right? ;)
Ah come on Fred, not to be intimidated by the fact a HD can compare horsepower with our beloved FJR. While that figure is not offered from HD from the factory floor, it is possible for one to obtain the 145 HP figure without nitrous, but that is a wonderful idea.

But there are some great parts out there for the HD that can really wake the big twin motor up to the point that it cannot only equal the FJR, but exceed it. It's just nice to know we can have the best of both worlds if your wallet is fat enough and if your fun meter can handle it. PM. :yahoo:

But if I was going just to a cruiser, it would be a 145 HP Harley. You pick the model. Lol. Good luck in your find. PM.
Ah yes... That would be the ones with the nitrous bottles hanging off the side, right? ;)
Ah come on Fred, not to be intimidated by the fact a HD can compare horsepower with our beloved FJR. While that figure is not offered from HD from the factory floor, it is possible for one to obtain the 145 HP figure without nitrous, but that is a wonderful idea.

But there are some great parts out there for the HD that can really wake the big twin motor up to the point that it cannot only equal the FJR, but exceed it. It's just nice to know we can have the best of both worlds if your wallet is fat enough and if your fun meter can handle it. PM. :yahoo:
Sure a Harley cruiser can be upgraded to 145 HP, but I'd love to see the price tag for that. If anyone does that please post how the bike performed on something like a 6000 mile Coast to Coast round trip. And later how are things going after 50,000 miles or so. Also I'd like to read about its high power/high speed handling characteristics, fuel milage, reliability etc. Best wishes, Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was still in the USN, I had an a good friend in ET "A" school who used to drag race Harleys. We even went up to the great Lakes drag strip a few times and I watched him blow his engines. Great entertainment :p

There is no question it can be done. It's just a matter of how much you want to spend on your hobby for ever questionable results. The basic engine design is its own handicap. Making 145 HP with a pushrod, long stroke 45 degree v-twin is not a a game for those with a shallow pocketbook. Torque is easy. Making the beast spin enough to go 145hp is another thing altogether.

OTOH, just imagine the amount of power you could coax out of a run of the mill FJR engine if one were willing to spend the same amount on that. Just before it blows up that is. :p

This is old but the Victory's are pretty dang nice, and have a ton of lean angle to them for a cruiser, not far off an FJR. They're good looking, fast, and if you think they're comfortable, you'll like one. Very expensive though for the nice ones.

Yes, the Victory bikes are nice. Dealer lent me one while my bike was getting serviced: an 8-Ball with whitewall tires, forward pegs and shifter/brake, and apehangers at about ear height. I was laughing out loud for most of the next 30 minutes, feeling like I was hurtling spread-eagle down a four-lane highway in a tornado -- lots of fun!

Ran smoothly, engine was strong, transmission firm and precise, suspension was smooth, and it sounded really cool. So I imagine one of their tourers (with unmistakable 21st-century styling) would be a very able machine.

If I were you I wouldn't trade/sell the FJR in exchange for a Victory. I would keep the FJR (completely different bike) and buy a Harley Road King. I own both. While Victory is more powerful (106 vs 103) and better handling (better suspension), the value will drop significantly once you drive it of the showroom floor! I would instead buy the Road King/Glide or some variation of touring. They are much better looking, have addicting character and the resale value is excellent. Granted, you don't really get all the bells and whistles until you shell out for a CVO, but it's not really necessary. You can still get a base model with ABS/Security/Cruise/Heated Grips for under 21K is you beat the shit out of the dealer. :assassin:

The HD suspension is dog balls, but once you get that worked out the bike is a Hoot! I still love my FJR AE, but it isn't getting much attention, :ph34r: b/c I'm currenly riding the sh&% out of my RK. :yahoo:

Buy a Goldwing GL1800. I had a 2008 FJR and had two GL1800's (Currently a 2010 with traxion suspension upgrade). The bike will handle better than the FJR and be the most comfortable bike for you AND your wife!!

I know I may catch soem crap for saying this but it IS true!!

Rent the Victory. Ride it for a while then decide. You never know until you try it out. Motorcycles are like getting married. You may not like it if you buy it before you ride it.

The bike will handle better than the FJR
laughing-cat.jpg

Buy a Goldwing GL1800. The bike will handle better than the FJR and be the most comfortable bike for you AND your wife!!

I know I may catch soem crap for saying this but it IS true!!
Well get your glove cuz here's your crap. Catch it, quick!

Reading this ignorance makes me feel really smart. Do you really believe a 900+ pound Hondapotamous will outcorner an FJR? No one else on this forum does.

I am taking nothing away from the GoldWing, it is a wonderful bike and is unequalled for many things. Outhandling an FJR is not one of those things.

outhandling must mean soaking up road imperfections and maybe "ease of turning the bars". Goldwings can handle really well for what they are, but they have their limits.

outhandling must mean soaking up road imperfections and maybe "ease of turning the bars". Goldwings can handle really well for what they are, but they have their limits.
Agree.... but so do FJR's as compared to bikes that are that are lighter. I'm not sure he's looking for handling as much as comfort. I would suggest renting any bike that may be a replacement before buying it.

I rented Wings twice on trips a few years back before buying one to replace my wrecked FJR.