Side Cases Flying Off?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've had a sidebag come off the bike while in motion

• Yes, but I know it was me who didn't attach it properly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but I'm sure it was attached properly

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No, never happened

• No, but I realized it was going to and fixed it before it could

• Total voters
I've had that happen! And it wasn't a Yamaha design issue...it was my ****-up plain and simple.
I had a full side bag and closed, but I could tell it wasn't cleanly closed....one of the perimiter points was binding up a bit. But, I muscled the latch harder...and heard & felt a distinct "Pop". I knew in my gut that wasn't right and had forced it. It still seemed to be OK, but a few days later I was thinking about what might have happened and moved the bag around a bit...and could see one or both attachment points were at risk. The slide that locks it into place wasn't fully extended...because of the slipped gear.

I could imagine it easily coming off while riding.

I had to have the bag replaced. It was covered under YES, knew it was my gorilla handling, but didn't advertise it. ;) Now, I'm careful to not force the latch closed.
I don't recall forcing mine, and no one could accuse me of 'gorilla' strength, but it seems likely that the gears skipped at some point when I latched it. The interesting thing from my point of view was that the peg WAS fully extended, but not 'locked' - and that meant the bag looked safely attached when in fact it wasn't.

And yeah... I'm pretty careful now about NOT forcing it now too, and checking the locked position with the bag off the bike is part of my regular maintenance check as well as a quick check before I put the bag on the bike.

Griff

...and what percentage is operator error is unknown in this scientific survey...as the "self reporting" has no easy external vetting process. :D
Very well put my friend. I was thinking the same thing, but just couldn't articulate it nearly as well. Bingo! ;)

...I guess a 50% false positive rate on that particular answer with +/- 25%.

I'd also opine a high correlation of those that answer, "Yes, but I'm sure it was attached properly" to riders that also claim defective side stands.....and/or think the factory should install turn signal reminders. But, that's a completely different study. :eek:k:
I can't speak for others. All I can say is EVERY time I mount the bags I move them araound fore and aft. My right bag launched after the suspension compressed like others, it was observed by two riders behind me, and my right bag shows the same symptoms as the OP. My left bag is fine, meaning the design problems happen, but not all the time obviously.

You cough up the cash for a repaint or new bag due to a cam that loses a cog and ya might think the design could have been a bit more robust by the engineers.

After I get a few minutes I'll try to fix the darn thing and get the suckers pinned down. But after design flaws in the ignition, harness, CCT etc. etc. ,I'm not overflowing with love for the engineers of the GENII bikes. I'm getting very tired of fixing or preventively maintaining the FJR I own. Benefit of the doubt is really thin at this point.

I'm a new FJR owner. (2007 new from the dealer 30 days ago) At the risk of incurring the wrath of the forum exactly what is the procedure for "pinning"the bag?

I've had that happen! And it wasn't a Yamaha design issue...it was my ****-up plain and simple.
I had a full side bag and closed, but I could tell it wasn't cleanly closed....one of the perimiter points was binding up a bit. But, I muscled the latch harder...and heard & felt a distinct "Pop". I knew in my gut that wasn't right and had forced it. It still seemed to be OK, but a few days later I was thinking about what might have happened and moved the bag around a bit...and could see one or both attachment points were at risk. The slide that locks it into place wasn't fully extended...because of the slipped gear.

The two latching mechanisms are completely separate and independant other than the fact that they both lock with the same key latch on top. "Springing" the bag lid mechanism as you did should not have changed how the bag's locking tab that holds the bag on the bike extends. OTOH, if you forced the handle lever down when the bag was not properly aligned on the bike, then I could see this causing the gears to skip a tooth.

The other thing that I have noticed is that after this locking mechanism gets some road grit into it, it does seem to get "sticky" and require more force to get started.

The two latching mechanisms are completely separate and independant other than the fact that they both lock with the same key latch on top. "Springing" the bag lid mechanism as you did should not have changed how the bag's locking tab that holds the bag on the bike extends. OTOH, if you forced the handle lever down when the bag was not properly aligned on the bike, then I could see this causing the gears to skip a tooth.
So a recap here, because I'm confused. Correct where I'm wrong.

There are at least 3 ways the operator can screw up:

#1 Failure to put loctite on the screw that holds the locking mechanism itself (most common) and gets reported a lot. Lock can come off, case is then floating freely on the mount and could come off on a bump in the road.

#2 While placing the side case on the mount, improper alignment and operator applies too much pressure while pressing down the case locking handle lever. The sliding latch tongues bind and gear slips so what seems to be inserted and mounted is not. Case is now floating freely on the mount and could come off on a bump in the road.

#3 Case is overloaded or obstruction as rider attempts to force the side case door to close. With the case improperly closed, while pushing down on the locking lever, prior to turning the key, something could break on that mechanism. The side case door cover could fail.

For #3 , I don't think the whole case would come off, just the cover might open and possibly rip off and spew its contents. Or maybe it would take the mount out as well.

None of these are a design flaw, IMO. It is the human factor in dealing with plastic bits and latches. (Add this to the IonBeamisms list of natural mechanical tendencies.)

Last edited by a moderator:
The other thing that I have noticed is that after this locking mechanism gets some road grit into it, it does seem to get "sticky" and require more force to get started.
Actually, I think that was the issue! I remembered it incorrectly. It was gritty and was resiting my urge to latch it. I still gorrilla armed it, it popped, and slipped a gear. It wasn't that the case was overfull.

Thank you.

So a recap here, because I'm confused. Correct where I'm wrong.There are at least 3 ways the operator can screw up:
I think you've summarized the three possible failure modes fairly well. ;)

"So a recap here, because I'm confused. Correct where I'm wrong.

There are at least 3 ways the operator can screw up:

#1 Failure to put loctite on the screw that holds the locking mechanism itself (most common) and gets reported a lot. Lock can come off, case is then floating freely on the mount and could come off on a bump in the road."

Actually, it's the dealer's responsibility to Loctite the latch screws when he assembles the bike. I Loctite'd mine when I first read abt launching a bag. Then, later, when I read abt the "no bag left behind" lock pins, I put them on my bike.

Thanx to forum members, I've never lost a bag.

Ant one know the size/where to get the small screws holding the lock to the case? I am trying to replace lost screw without buying the $70 locking mech.

Ant one know the size/where to get the small screws holding the lock to the case? I am trying to replace lost screw without buying the $70 locking mech.
Just take your lock to the hardware store and get screws to fit.

Thanx to forum members, I've never lost a bag.
And I'll add that thanks to Yamaha's simple and effective bag-lock system, I've never lost a bag.
Gunny that! And I'd like to thank the Forum every time they help me with some problem or procedure, but then I'd have half as many posts as Howie. :clapping:

It was a different game when I had to order the FJR and then wait 6 months. With the Forum, I studied every nuance of the bike before I had it. Now most are probably getting their bikes used or right off the floor, and just lucky if they find out about the Forum before they find out they need to check on the lock screws! (Among other things.)

Mix in a little Dealer irresponsibility or owner skipped the loctite warning in the install paperwork or previous owner never did it or the loctite itself was insufficient and failed after 7years-- and you are ripe for a variety of Ionbeamisms.

Now...to check into installing pins....could somebody please tell me where to find out...........................nevermind. :fans: