Side cases rubber mounting instructions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LMMobile

Reaction score
I just happened to look at my side case rubber brackets today on my new FJR and couldn't get common sense out of that the fat end was pointing forward. For me the rubber, when different thickness front and rear should act as a wedge, which means slim end to front and fat end to the rear. I was sure the dealer had mounted them the wrong way, but after checking with the mounting instruction booklet, it was the right way.

Bilde1a.jpg

I still found this strange and started to measure. Referencing to the pictures below, I am still of the opinion that the rubbers should be mounted with the slim end to the front and the fat end to the rear. When I tried, (I could always glue them back on again), this gave the perfect fit. A bit “roomy” though, (that could come from widening out the clamps on the side cases with force with the poor fit as per Yamaha instructions). Therefore I added a couple of rounds with tape.

The side cases are now much easier to lock and open and it just feels right.

Do any of you out there know what is correct or have the ability to check with Yamaha Motor?

(Excuse my “Norwenglish”)

Bilde2a.jpg

Bilde3a.jpg

Mine have always been on with the wide end towards the rear of the bike.

Mine have always been on with the wide end towards the rear of the bike.

I figured it had something to do with creating more friction/better grip under hard braking/vibration/whatever circumstances to keep the bags in place so I left it as the Yamaha engineers had it. The directions seem pretty clear on this point so I don't think it's a mistake.

I've tried it both ways on three FJR's, and have always settled on the Factory recommendation (written in the Netherlands BTW, with the bags built in Germany). The bags appear to fit fine with the rubber mounts installed matching the bag taper, but in that position the bags are looser, can move significantly fore and aft in the upper frame mounts, and sometimes rattle on a rough road. The are snug with the Factory recommendation. I put a little Dow DC-4 silicone grease on the rubber, latching bar, and top clamps to protect and permit an easy installation. Plus, if that way something ever breaks Yamaha can't argue about improper installation come warranty time.

This topic will probably create another controversy similar to the extendable side panels. In - out - front - back.

Gary in Fairbanks

Last edited by a moderator: