side or center stand?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know where Odot is in this discussion...

Jack_Head.jpg

Or, just lean it against the tree in front of your house like I do.....

The centerstand is not more stable, as some have stated; it's a narrower triangle than the two wheels and sidestand. Stormy breeze or careless passerby could knock it off the centerstand easier than the sidestand. On the sidestand, to knock it over to the left it has to be raised off one of the wheels. To knock it over to the right it has to be lifted over center from the sidestand lean. To knock it off the centerstand you just have to shove it a bit. Once the C.G. is over the centerstand foot it's all over, fizix handles it from there. That and grabitty.
You think just like Patriot does. Shove it a bit? exactly what is a bit?

The centerstand is not more stable, as some have stated; it's a narrower triangle than the two wheels and sidestand. Stormy breeze or careless passerby could knock it off the centerstand easier than the sidestand. On the sidestand, to knock it over to the left it has to be raised off one of the wheels. To knock it over to the right it has to be lifted over center from the sidestand lean. To knock it off the centerstand you just have to shove it a bit. Once the C.G. is over the centerstand foot it's all over, fizix handles it from there. That and grabitty.
You think just like Patriot does. Shove it a bit? exactly what is a bit?
More than just a little. :D

Interesting side note is the folks that think they can get more fuel in the tank when it's on the center stand.

Try this li'l experiment sometime: Put bike on side stand and fill the tank as normal, until the fuel level covers the holes in the bottom of the filler neck. You know, that's the point where it starts climbing up the neck real fast-like. Now tip the bike up straight and see how much extra fuel you can fit in there. This experiment is easiest accomplished if you are a lazy bastidge like me and do your refueling while still seated on the bike.

Interesting side note is the folks that think they can get more fuel in the tank when it's on the center stand.
Try this li'l experiment sometime: Put bike on side stand and fill the tank as normal, until the fuel level covers the holes in the bottom of the filler neck. You know, that's the point where it starts climbing up the neck real fast-like. Now tip the bike up straight and see how much extra fuel you can fit in there. This experiment is easiest accomplished if you are a lazy bastidge like me and do your refueling while still seated on the bike.
+1

In my 'sperience, it seems like I've been able to get between .25 - .5 gallon more in there while on the center stand.

Now I'm curious... Maybe, just maybe, I'll do yer 'speriment sometime...