Side Panels Flared Out

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creekstone

Reaction score
I ran across this picture of a used bike for sale. The side panels appear to be mounted futher out than normal. Right?

Other than maybe more weather protection, is there another reason to do this?

2008FJR-SidePanels.jpg

One of the "upgrades" when the fairings were changed for the Gen II model is the adjustability of the fairings for weather protection.

After reading several threads regarding the in and out position on the panels I went out in the garage and figured out how they work. I personally cannot leave them in that position. It feels like I had the cowlings off and neglected to reattach them fully. I understand the function - not a fan of the execution.

Joe

There really air brakes to keep you at subsonic speed til you get use to the FJR, then you can retrack then to really fly :D

There really air brakes to keep you at subsonic speed til you get use to the FJR, then you can retrack then to really fly :D

Thanks Marcus, wife just yelled upstairs " what are you laughing at".

Glad I didn't have anything in my mouth. :lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been skeptical of any real benefit in the extended position -- but there might be a little more protection from the elements.

Unfortunately Yamaha's execution is kinda fugly... ;)

--G

They are adjustable as said before; I always keep mine in as I had one blow off in a freak 125+ mph windstorm; so now they are in and also get checked to make sure they are seated right.

Strangest thing, that windstorm ran my speedo up too so I knew how much it was. I'm just lucky I was seated on the bike at the time!

They are adjustable as said before; I always keep mine in as I had one blow off in a freak 125+ mph windstorm; so now they are in and also get checked to make sure they are seated right.

Strangest thing, that windstorm ran my speedo up too so I knew how much it was. I'm just lucky I was seated on the bike at the time!
:rofl: I have a couple stretches of road that always seem to get those freak 125+ MPH windstorms too! ;)

I was going to comment about the susceptibility of the "visors" (as Yamaha calls them) to blow off when in the outer position and in high winds! I lost my left visor in a headwind of about that speed and Canucklehead lost his right visor at normal highway speeds in a heavy crosswind.

It is important after they have been removed and replaced, such as after a service that required removing side panels, to verify they are properly engaged in the clips at the bottom of the visor. I suspect my dealer screwed up on reinstall.
mad.gif

I normally keep mine in for the most part, but for riding around the city here in the winter (I try to get out occasionally when the temps go above freezing) I keep them out to deflect a little more air from the legs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have mine in the out position for the colder months. It allows more engine heat to reach the legs when I'm freezin my ass off. :clapping:

In my very humble opinion, this is nothing but hot air.. from yamaha. Besides being somewhat ugly in the out position, I feel no difference in any heat effect or wind protection. How does moving these things out, maybe one inch, do any good when you are creating a 60+mph wind effect swirling around you?

In my very humble opinion, this is nothing but hot air.. from yamaha. Besides being somewhat ugly in the out position, I feel no difference in any heat effect or wind protection. How does moving these things out, maybe one inch, do any good when you are creating a 60+mph wind effect swirling around you?
Yup...Total bullshit. They do nothing and look like shit when open. A very poor excuse for whatever they were trying to accomplish. I honestly hope that the guy, team, whatever that implemented that idea has been fired for being stupid.

Yup...Total bullshit. They do nothing and look like shit when open. A very poor excuse for whatever they were trying to accomplish. I honestly hope that the guy, team, whatever that implemented that idea has been fired for being stupid.

You make it sound like that's a bad thing dinknose... BTDT. :lol:

They're designed that way for engine heat management.

Supposedly, when they're in the closed position, it prevents the engine heat from ending up on the riders legs and then they're in the open position, it's intended to allow the engine heat to help warm the riders legs in colder weather

I don't know about add heat, but they do spill the cold air away better. I ran them in commuting in the hot weather and I put them back out. It felt like more hot air was getting by when in the "in" position. Yamaha should have done some real venting in the out position and pushed the hot air out in the in position. Maybe GenIII!

Fairing Visor Mod idea:

i have been playing with the visors as well....

and find the protection minor, but it's there...

i'm actually considering the following and am interested in feedback from those who have a lot more time with the bikes apart and the fairings off:

Heat in the cockpit idea:

When in the "out/open" position, the layer of the fairing that is visible below is still blocking any engine heat from reaching the legs/cockpit area.

what would happen if someone notched a couple of openings in the lower portion of fairings, nothing that would change the integrity of th plastic, but would allow some heat to escape into the cockpit? say an opening of 1 inch X 5 inches inboard and centered between the screw ports...

whats under there? heat shields?

i assume more heat would enter the cockpit area/leg area for the rider when cold out, and simply snap the visor closed for warm weather riding...