Side Panels Flared Out

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As said in another thread I wish WynPro would make some inserts to cover the fugly holes that are there when you use the wings out.

I proved them out to myself and will not to try to sway anyone else they are effective at blocking more wind, and allows more warm air to you. Again a back to back run, 18 miles each way, and they do work for me here in PA.

Like I say if I could get cover plates to cover the rivet holes for the mounting hardware of that turn screw I would be happy. It is indented in that area a 1/8" at least so something will lay in that indentation.

I do agree it is a fugly implementation, but it works for me in winter here in PA.

Last edited by a moderator:
they are effective at blocking more wind

I do agree it is a fugly implementation, but it works for me in winter here in PA.
They work the same here in WA. This is my 5th winter on my FJR that I ride year 'round and we occasionally gets temps down into the teens. 32 degrees this morning and with the "wings" out, the legs stay just a little warmer due to the wind blocking of the wings. I've looked at the fairing design and can't see how any extra warm air is added or subtracted with the wings. But I know that just blocking wind makes a huge difference in perceived warmth (try switching between a FJR with barn-door windshield and a unfaired bike when riding in below freezing temps and there's no question).

they are effective at blocking more wind

They work the same here in WA. This is my 5th winter on my FJR that I ride year 'round and we occasionally gets temps down into the teens. 32 degrees this morning and with the "wings" out, the legs stay just a little warmer due to the wind blocking of the wings. I've looked at the fairing design and can't see how any extra warm air is added or subtracted with the wings. But I know that just blocking wind makes a huge difference in perceived warmth (try switching between a FJR with barn-door windshield and a unfaired bike when riding in below freezing temps and there's no question).
Same here in MD. I've only really noticed a difference when its either really cold or really hot. Not overwhelming, but noticeable.

As I am reading the manual (RTFM)it states the cowlings can be tilted back 30 mm (1.18") for added ventilation to suit the riding conditions. This kind of confuses me since it does not state what the added ventilation is for. Is it for the rider or the engine?

As I am reading the manual (RTFM)it states the cowlings can be tilted back 30 mm (1.18") for added ventilation to suit the riding conditions. This kind of confuses me since it does not state what the added ventilation is for. Is it for the rider or the engine?
All they do is deflect some of the ambient air from the rider's legs while moving, nothing more. They have no significant effect on the engine's airflow. So, if the air flow is very cold, put them out to reduce cooling of your legs, if the air is very hot, putting them out may reduce the heating effect of above 90 F air on your legs (that's never been a problem for me in the UK
smile.gif
).