Sight Glass Concerns

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paste007

Reaction score
Checked my sight glass and it appeared that there wasn't any oil in the bike. Had the 600 mile oil change at the dealer's less than a week ago, but put 400 miles on since then. No overheating issues and no warning lights.

However, added a half quart and ran the engine for a few minutes, then let it sit for a few minutes and still no oil showing in the sight glass. Added additional oil and still nothing in the glass.

Is the oil that light that it might have been past the sight glass to begin with? If so, how damaging is it to have more than the prescribed 4.23 quarts of oil in the bike?

Thanks in advance for your patience with a guy that "just wants to ride" and isn't dying to wrench on this slut every free moment. :angry2:

how did you check the oil? side stand? Centerstand? Put it on the centerstand. Warm it up to atleast two bars, I like three on my 03, turn it off and wait a few minutes. should be between the two marks.

You sure your bike wasn't overfilled....seems to be common amongst a lot of dealers :blink:

When I had my 600 mile service done, they charged me for 3 quarts - and there was nothing showing on the sight glass.

When I brought it to the owners' attention, another quart was added - then it showed properly.

Quite a puzzle to solve. To solve, DRAIN YOUR OIL AND REFILL. You can measure the drained oil and you'll be out $15 in oil at most. It's worth it. Protect your investment.

I checked it with the bike on the centerstand.

I'm going to take the bike in to the dealer on Tuesday, however, I need to know if it's potentially damaging to the bike to ride it, if it's been overfilled by an unknown amount?

paste007 Posted : "Does the FJR come with oil?"

Yes. All the dealer need do when un-crating is hook-up the battery and put some gas in the tank. Then, press the button and she's runnin'....

I would think? If your FJR is so low on oil as to not be visible in the sight glass -- the (red) oil level light would come on often and stay on longer before eventually blinking out?

You should be able to put your bike on the centerstand, in neutral, start the motor and observe the sight glass. Get a helper if ya can't reach to the starter button. As the oil is pumped up into the engine the sight glass should be empty or very nearly so. Then shut off the motor, and watch the oil level come up the sight window. If it's over the top of the window, drain some off until the level is about halfway up the sight glass. Watch carefully, the oil can be hard to see in the sight glass on this bike.

Riding with the oil level too high can be dangerous. Had a dealer overfill my Connie one time and by the time I got home the excess oil had all been pumped into the airbox via the engine breather, then it ran all over the side of the bike. Lucky I didn't fall on my ass riding it home that way. That dealer was a loser!

Maybe a better way to phrase the question would be how much oil can the FJR hold, without damaging the bike? Also, what damage would usually occur from overfilling with too much oil? :blink:

Is it safe to ride it the 10 miles to the dealer, or, should I have it towed in?

Not sure how much oil is in it now, if it was overfilled, prior to my adding oil.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't ride the 10 miles if I knew or strongly suspected it was overfilled by any significant amount. No way.

Even if you're not a wrench, you should be able to find the drain bolt on the bottom of the engine and remove it so some oil can drain out, assuming it really is overfilled. All you have to do is remove the drain bolt, no other disassembly of the bike is required at all.

Why risk it or hassle with the tow?

I would play it safe, drain out whatever amount is in there.

Refill with 4 qts (assuming you do not change the oil filter)

Let's say you get 6 qts out.

Bring that to the dealer and see what kind of an apology you get.

You might get a free (something) although I would be pretty cautious of them in the future.

If they offered your next couple of oil changes on the house maybe you could trade that for some parts instead (spark plugs, oil, air filter, etc...)

If they offer nothing, never go back. Worst case you are out $20 tops.

I just changed my oil a few days ago and after turned off for a few minutes the oil level in the sightglass is quite visible. Appears empty when the bike is running and clearly visible when turned off. I would find it hard to believe it is past the top of the sightglass unless they filled it with "clear oil"

Thanks for the guidance.

I will buy a new O ring tomorrow, drain the oil (checking how much comes out) and refill with the prescribed 4 quarts.

Do I need to check anything (like the airbox you'd mentioned) for possible damage?

Thanks for the guidance.

One last question.

Is it ok to use a crescent wrench on the drain plug, or, is it necessary to use a torque wrench, like noted in the Owner's Manual? If a torque wrench is recommended, what size wrench and socket should be utilized?

Sorry for what are probably pretty ignorant questions to those of you who work on your bikes, but from someone who hasn't used tools, much past a hammer for an uncooperative computer, I appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks for the guidance.
One last question.

Is it ok to use a crescent wrench on the drain plug, or, is it necessary to use a torque wrench, like noted in the Owner's Manual? If a torque wrench is recommended, what size wrench and socket should be utilized?

Sorry for what are probably pretty ignorant questions to those of you who work on your bikes, but from someone who hasn't used tools, much past a hammer for an uncooperative computer, I appreciate your suggestions.
Never ever use a crescent wrench (AKA a universal strip it wrench)!

Use a wrench or socket. If you don't have one buy a basic metric tool set.

I'd first slow down. Gather all the data you can before going further.

First, stop guessing and figure out if the bike is underfilled or overfilled. Put the bike on the centerstand, clean the sight glass, and get down there with a flashlight. Even brand new oil has a distinctive honey hew to it, while an empty sight glass will show nothing but a metallic alum color.

If you really can't tell the difference, then have someone back you up on the other side of the bike or lean it against a wall the other way. Unless you've drastically overfilled it, the level will become visible as the bike is tipped to the right side.

Okay, my guess is that you're going to discover that you're indeed overfull. I think you can safety assume at this point the dealer probably had it at or near the full line and the amount you're overfilled is about equal to the amount you've added. I certainly wouldn't worry about 1/2 qt or less for a short trip to the dealer and in a pinch, I'd probably even ride at a qt high, taking it easy. It's not ideal, but it's not likely to cause any significant problems for a short/easy trip either - these things are fairly robust and withstand our silly mistakes pretty well.

Of course, you could just change the oil yourself and put 4 qt back in. If you feel comfortable doing this and have the right tools, go ahead. But don't compound the problem by doing something you don't know what you're doing or don't have the right tools. There are a ton of internet articles on DIY FJR oil changes.

If you discover you are indeed low on oil even after adding some, I'd call the dealer, explain what you've done and let them worry about it, including picking it up. They screwed up big time.

- Mark

I would suggest you invest in some sockets my friend. Think about the physics behind a crescent wrench and you're exerting effort majorly on to sides of a six sided bolt, a bit on two more, and non on two others.

We've heard horror stories of stripped threads that may or may not because of good sockets, but why take the chance. A socket (preferably a 6 point style) is going to distribute force on that plug smoothly. Maybe catch series in a sale.

When U figure what to do-DO NOT-I repete-DO NOT torque the drain bolt to the manual specs as they are way too much. Many, I repete MANY have stripped the threads useing the factory torque settings. Go back & read the "What do I do next? " post in this Technical Discussions section of this board. Yes it is a 6 point 17mm bolt head so use a 6 point 17mm socket. Buy yourself a good set of 1/4" & 3/8" dirve 6 point sockets for yourself. You also should read the "New Owners Read This" under the "New Forum Members" section of this board...Later,,, De :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't panic. I suspect it has simply been overfilled. I had the same problem when I picked mine up. The oil is clean and light but you are now used to the view of the sight glass. In other words, your haven't seen it empty so you can't recognize the difference. Try draining the oil very slowly by just cracking the drain bolt so it leaks rather than drains. Watch the sight glass for changes as it drains. You will know it when you see it. As soon as you see a line in the sight glass quickly close the drain plug. :)