Simple AE Gen 2 throttle lock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrabbyJack

Reaction score
https://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae167/C...pg?t=1266860039

https://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae167/C...pg?t=1266860481

https://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae167/C...pg?t=1266860526

Here's my simple throttle lock farkle for original AE Gen 2 "hard" grips. (If the photos show up...)

Warning! I'm using someone else's design/patent/copywright "off label", modifying it, and using it in a way it wasn't meant to be used. Don't blame them if it doesn't work. I've tested exactly one of these, so don't blame me if it doesn't work for you, either.

I've got an '07 AE and like most people who ride these things, I get shoulder aches, wrist aches, sore butt, etc. after a hundred miles or so. Whenever I did the "my butt/shoulder/wrist is sore hokey pokey" and tried to move around a bit, whenever I got to putting my right arm in and shaking it all about, I always slowed down... not too good in traffic. I have a Vista Cruise on my GoldWing and I love it and wanted to put one on my AE, but it wouldn't fit because of the heated grips. I added a Cramp Buster in the hopes it would solve my problems, but it just didn't have the result I was looking for as I still couldn't let go of the handlebar. I was all set to add the AudioVox cruise control, but it has it's own problems with mounting the servo on an AE, as there just isn't enough room for it. I took a longer look at the Cramp Buster one rainy day and looked at at how it works. When rotating the grip in one direction, it would slide, when rotating in the other direction, it would lock around and turn the grip. It kind of did what I wanted to in the slide direction by allowing the grip to rotate, but in the other direction, I did not want it to lock, but instead to rotate with just a little more friction than in the first direction. So I took a saw to it and cut off about 5/8" from the loop end and then used a file to smooth the cut end. It would now rotate around the grip with light pressure in one direction around the grip and a little more tightly in the other direction. By rotating the grip in acceleration and then rotating the device the opposite way with my index finger, I could let it rest against the front brake lever and the throttle would stay there. I could still easily rotate the throttle against the friction of the device in deceleration with the device resting against the brake lever. COOL!

I tried mounting the thing (it's not a Cramp Buster anymore) on the grip both with the logo facing up and again with the logo facing down and found that with the logo facing down it works pretty well. If I set it while I'm traveling at a steady speed, there is enough slack in the throttle cables and "springiness" in the device that I will slow down a bit when I release the grip. Instead, what I do is set it with my index finger as I'm accelerating, and then roll off on the throttle as I get to the desired speed. This takes out the effect of the slack in the throttle cables and the "springiness" of the plastic. I used it on a 200 mile cruise late last fall before putting the bike in storage for winter and I was really impressed how easy it was to use. I could set it easily just by pushing down on it with my index finger and it was easy to roll off the throttle against the friction of the device on the grip. Once you had rolled off the throttle, it was no longer active until you set it with your finger again. It's also easily removed for storage just by twisting it off the hand grip.

CrabbyJack

Let me be the first. I like it. I've got no problems with home grown fixes--if they work. Let's see . . . in order of importance, it works, it's cheap, and it's not ugly. If I didn't already have a Vista Cruise on mine I'd go spend the ten bucks for a Cramp Buster (which I tried before and didn't like--and then it fell off) and take a saw to it. I just use the V.C. for a little relief once in a while too. I don't much like riding one-handed for long.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting.... but.... does it work on non-AE's...??? :blink: :p

I also like the concept. I have a Throttle Rocker version. I may have to get your specific OEM farklization item to make it work. I may play with the TR as I have two of them. ;)

Thanks for the post. :yahoo:

***EDIT***

The Throttle Rocker is too short to work (it won't reach the brake lever in any of the positions). Bummer, now I have to invest big $$ in a Crampy Bustanuter.

Damn Grip Puppies get in the way of another cheap and easy solution! :angry2:

Good thing I picked up an AVCCS100 before they get too rare! :D

Wow, looks like a great idea. I went out to the garage to give it a test but I must have a shorter version of the cramp buster because mine doesn't reach all the way to the brake lever. But I could tell it would work so I will find a longer cramp buster and give it a try.

Thanks for sharing.

Definitely like the creative solution! Thanks for posting. I also have a cramp buster, but it's the one with a real wide tab. No biggie, can go pick up the one you have.

Question... If it holds the throttle open and resists in the "closing" direction... how does it allow you to kill throttle quickly, if something happens? Wouldn't it resist your quick reaction decel?

Thanks for any explanation.

That's what makes it work as a throttle lock, it keeps the throttle from closing when you let go of it. Cutting off the 5/8" from the loop end is what makes it easier to turn in the closed direction. If that piece wasn't cut off, it would be VERY hard to turn the throttle closed, but that is what makes it work as Cramp Buster intended. When you close the throttle, it slides on the grip as the "pointy" end is resting against the brake lever, but it doesn't slide as easily as it does in the other direction. Mine is 1 1/8" wide, if that means anything.

CrabbyJack

edit... Ooops, I forgot to mention that I had unwound my throttle return spring one turn before I did this.

If that works as intended or should I say expected, it's too good to be ignored. I'll be testing it out as soon as I can obtain one. I now run with the wide CB and a Grip Puppy. I just went out to look mine over and the Grip Puppy is easily rolled back enough to apply the modified CB. If all goes well we simply trim the Grip Puppy and it's done.

I assume you're using the Standard Long here

Thanks for posting this.

Keep Going!

OK crabby jack I have a question...

Which cramp buster did you buy, the standard 1-1/8 or an oversized 1-1/2 diameter for the grip?

**EDIT** I see you said standard long. I did not return to this post since February, I just started typing and posted.

I bought the smaller one as the oversized showed a pic of an HD chrome grip which I know is real big.

I cut off 5/8 then cut off more for about a total of 3/4 of an inch, still grips like a monkey holding a banana.

This cramp buster does reach the front lever in any (lever 1-5) position; however, when twisting the throttle to close, it doesn't give at all, but it does push passed the brake to let the throttle return to close. Also if you quickly just push out against the front brake lever, it allows the cramp buster to go passed the lever and let the throttle return to close.

Not sure if I'd remember to push out on the lever in a panic situation though, but it does go passed it when you turn it manually…. hard.

I have NOT road tested this yet, just did the garage theory thang in the safety of the Bluesman garage testing grounds.

Great idea, thanks.

My 2 cents.

It should slip on the grip as you roll the throttle closed, otherwise I wouldn't use it. Remember, I have an '07 AE with factory heated grips and they are hard. I don't know what was used for grips on 05's or on any Gen 1 bikes as I haven't seen one up close. If there was a Vista Cruise that would fit the AE's I probably would have used that first, but there isn't, so that's why I did the hack job on my Crampbuster.

CrabbyJack

OK, I road tested mine a bit, now it's gone (I'll explain later).

As I stated in post #10, I chopped off a little more plastic as my Cramp Buster (CB) would not let the throttle rotate back, it still doesn't. What I have to do is roll the throttle off, hard, and the end of the cramp buster flicks below the brake lever and the throttle is off. Now the catch 22 here is, when you want to give it some more throttle, now the brake lever is in the way, and the CB hits it on rolling it on limiting the throttle response, you can either, push the brake lever forward to avoid this, or rotate the CB nearly 360º, to reset it.

I was not doing very well at setting it, I had to get all the creep out to set and stay, took anywhere from 3-5 times. Basically I would not recommend using this on Freeways, maybe on the real open road where slowing or throttle modulation is minimal. It could be a real issue in a panic stop too, where you don't have much time to roll the throttle off to pull in on the brake and then you may be real sorry.

Also starting off with this on the bike it was awkward, I had to rotate the CB in a position that would not limit my hand on the grip.

So on the way to the Temecula Winery ride, I had to reset the CB on the 15 Frwy and rotate it the 360º. Due to cutting off more plastic, the cramp buster easily pops off the throttle, it did, and it became Frwy fodder. Maybe it's just me, but I think I'll try a different system. ;)

Just my 2 cents.

I just did a round trip ride from Lancaster, PA down to Mobile, AL and used this idea a lot of the ride. I had seen the posting last month and was tempted to try it out so I stopped and bought a Cramp buster on my way out of town.

I had another throttle rest in the past that was shorter that was pretty useless. This Cramp Buster is great and gave me a lot opportunity to move my throttle hand around to get a break. Definitely had to reposition the Cramp Buster a lot just for normal usage.

As for using it as a thriottle lock, it was a thrill getting it set the first couple times but once I got used to it I was pretty comfortable with it. Behavior was similar to using a Vista Cruise or Throttlemeister. It was easy to release by pushing out on the brake lever to let the Cramp Buster go on past the brake. It was pretty easy to close the throttle to shut it down without actually releasing it if needed in an emergency.

Some of the things FJRBluesman complained of are really just side effects of riding with the Cramp Buster and having that attached to the hand grip. The only way to adjust where the Cramp Buster is located is by spinning it backwards on the throttle. If you get it set a little too high on the throttle the only to reset it is to spin the thing around the grip. You'll get used to it after a 2500 mile weekend. B)

I'll probably take the Cramp Buster off for commuting, cause it can be annoying when not in use, but I'll definitely use it again as a Cramp Buster and as a throttle lock for long distance riding. One of the better investments I've made for the FJR.

Brian

"I have a Vista Cruise on my GoldWing and I love it and wanted to put one on my AE, but it wouldn't fit because of the heated grips."

I've had a Vista Cruise and Hot Grips brand heated grips for 5 years on my 05. I just added a very high-tech mod. I stole one of mu SO's table spoons, cut off about 1 1/2 inch off the handle, drilled a hole and mounted it to the throttle housing mount bolt, which prevents movment of the vista cruise. Nice satin finish, me like, wifey didn't. :black eye: