Simple Air Horn Installation for Gen 2 Bikes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRChris

Reaction score
"BE SURE TO READ POST #7 FOR THE SOLUTION TO THIS INSTALL"

[SIZE=8pt]While having the front forks off my bike, for the group buy with GP Suspensions, it seemed the perfect time to upgrade the wimpy stock horn.[/SIZE]

IMG_1355.jpg

[SIZE=8pt]I bought a WOLO Bad Boy air horn with relay from Kragen for about forty bucks. The horn is labeled made in Italy and I believe its the same manufacturer of the Stebel Nautilus. [/SIZE]

After taking off all the crappy stickers and plastic covers I was ready for my install. I removed the inner fairing panels and found ample room on the right side. Using the stock horn mounting bracket on the bike I drilled a 5/16" hole just above the original mounting hole. I then fastened the horn to the bracket using the 5/16" bolt that came with the horn. I did however, replaced the standard nut with a nylock nut. Also for added piece of mind, I fastened a zip tie from the Horn to the metal frame as sort of a safety leash.

IMG_1351.jpg

[SIZE=8pt]Cut to fit the fairing panel[/SIZE].

IMG_1350.jpg

IMG_1349.jpg

[SIZE=8pt]Wire up the relay to the battery and zip tie the relay to the metal frame connected to the battery box.[/SIZE]

IMG_1348.jpg

[SIZE=8pt]And voila![/SIZE]

IMG_1354.jpg

[SIZE=8pt]Works great! :yahoo: This thing is loud! I mean really loud!!! Cagers are going to shit their pants when they hear this thing. :D [/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
I replaced the stock horns with 2 Fiamm Blasters (lows) and also installed the Stebel Nautilus,I took apart the horn and compressor mounted the horn under the triple tree and the compressor in the left fairing next to the compartment box, the combo of the 3 horns sounds like a truck, I had a lady cut in front of me I hit the horns and I could hear her hit the gas thinking I was a big truck about to run her A** down.

Marcus

I replaced the stock horns with 2 Fiamm Blasters (lows) and also installed the Stebel Nautilus,I took apart the horn and compressor mounted the horn under the triple tree and the compressor in the left fairing next to the compartment box, the combo of the 3 horns sounds like a truck, I had a lady cut in front of me I hit the horns and I could hear her hit the gas thinking I was a big truck about to run her A** down.
Marcus
Wow! now that's some fire power. :clapping:

Your garage floor looks fantastic! What's on it?
Thank you! I used Rust-Oleum Epoxy- colored base coat with a high gloss top coat.

Update:

I received my new suspension from GP yesterday and completed the installation. I'm sorry to say, my simple air horn installation is not so simple after all. :( With the forks compressed the clearance from the fork tube to the horn compressor is way to close and could potentially strike the lower fork leg. I have since separated the horn from the compressor and fabricated a metal bracket to remount the horn to bike. Now the cut out in the fairing creates the same amount clearance as the stock horn setup. I'm in the process of remounting the air pump in a remote area and running an air line to the horn. I will update with pictures later.

At the moment I'm too busy trying out my new suspension. :yahoo:

On a serious note:

I must stress, if any one of you decide to modify anything on your bike please! please! carefully inspect your installation for all potential problems before riding again. God forbid, it could be disastrous if something were to come in contact with your forks while riding.

Well I'm finally getting around to finishing this post. I completed this job back in mid December and it has worked flawlessly to date.

My Camera broke so I wasn't able to take pictures of the revised install. Here are some pictures of the finished results - using my girlfriends camera. :(

This is basically FJRandy's install on a Gen 2 Bike. https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...utilus+install#

You can see there's plenty clearance form the fork to the horn in the full lock position.

007.jpg

I also had to cut the left side of the fairing in order to create more clearance for the horn. I used a piece of angled aluminum to mount the horn. Fabricating the the aluminum bracket was the most difficult part of the whole job.

006.jpg

The compressor fits perfectly in the cut out I previously made on the right side of the fairing.

005.jpg

I routed the air hose ( 5/16" fuel line) around the top of the radiator and secured it with zip-ties.

004.jpg

Hope someone finds this useful. :D

Boy that install sure looks familiar.

Thanks for the plug. :drinks:

I did it simular, but didnt have to cut the faring. I split the horn in half carfully put the compressor on one side and the horn it self on the other. Fits in the stock location without any cutting.

I did it simular, but didnt have to cut the faring. I split the horn in half carfully put the compressor on one side and the horn it self on the other. Fits in the stock location without any cutting.

Are you certain you have complete clearance from the fork legs at the full lock position?? You may have clearance with the forks extended, but I doubt there is adequate clearance when the forks are compressed. I couldn't find a way to avoid cutting while achieving adequate clearance. I may also point out, I have a Superbace fork brace on my bike and I think it limits my clearance even further. If you had a Gen 1 bike it may be possible but with a Gen 2 and it's curved radiator, I don't see it happening. If you actual made it fit, the clearance couldn't be larger than a gnats ass. Maybe we are missing something? :trinibob: I like to see a picture of your install and some top views showing the forks in a full lock position.

I've been meaning to put the picture up just haven't had a chance. ill get a couple. After bike week. I didnt have any clearence issues. I did test it in all locations first. Yes, due to your fork brace you probably have less room. Also i used a metal strap mounted to the origial horn location, and that placed the compressor under the glove box.

How did you separate the compressor from the horn? I bought one today but I don't to destroy it trying to separate them.
First thing is to open the wing on the front just a little (it has a little knob on the underside that locks the horn onto the silver cansiter):

Pic_02.jpg

Then you pop open the lock to slide the silver canister up and off. The little screwdriver is pointing to the lock:

Pic_03.jpg

Here is the silver cannister slid up:

Pic_04.jpg

Yea, I was bored this afternoon...

I haven't installed mine yet - still trying to decide between the Stebel and the Freeway Blasters. So I pulled them out and hooked them up to a battery to see how loud they are. The freeway blasters are freakin' loud. The Stebel Nautilas is "oh-my-god-my-ears-are-bleeding" loud. I'm still dizzy.

Neil, I'd go with the Stebel. They are loud enough to make a cel-phone-yapping-cager get back over into his lane at bout 70 mph. And apparently they can change a person's skin color, eh Wild72?

Even on the gen 1's there is not really enough clearance to put the compressor in front of the radiator. It probably belongs under the left (or I guess right) side fairing.

How did you separate the compressor from the horn? I bought one today but I don't to destroy it trying to separate them.
First thing is to open the wing on the front just a little (it has a little knob on the underside that locks the horn onto the silver cansiter):

Pic_02.jpg

Then you pop open the lock to slide the silver canister up and off. The little screwdriver is pointing to the lock:

Pic_03.jpg

Here is the silver cannister slid up:

Pic_04.jpg

Yea, I was bored this afternoon...

I haven't installed mine yet - still trying to decide between the Stebel and the Freeway Blasters. So I pulled them out and hooked them up to a battery to see how loud they are. The freeway blasters are freakin' loud. The Stebel Nautilas is "oh-my-god-my-ears-are-bleeding" loud. I'm still dizzy.
Well, WTF, if you've got both anyway, I'd follow Ahchiu's lead and mount both! Some's good means more's better, ...right!?

Neil, I'd go with the Stebel. They are loud enough to make a cel-phone-yapping-cager get back over into his lane at bout 70 mph. And apparently they can change a person's skin color, eh Wild72?
Even on the gen 1's there is not really enough clearance to put the compressor in front of the radiator. It probably belongs under the left (or I guess right) side fairing.
I fit my Nautilus in front of the radiator on my 07 and it clears radiator and fender. Check THIS POST for details on my install. I also left the stock horns hooked up so that I blast 3 horns at once. It's nice and loud! :devil: