Simple change, big difference...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Groo

The Endless Font of Useless Knowledge...
Reaction score
I've had my same bike setup for a few years now... 2610 GPS mounted inbetween the handlebars, V1 on the right handlebar, XM radio on the left (my second one, after the first crapped out).

For my recent birthday, I asked for a Zumo initially, but $$$ is a bit tight now so I didn't get one. Somewhat of a blessing in disguise if you ask me. After the day had come and gone, I saw a Garmin 2820 setup with the GXM 30 antenna for a fraction of the cost of a Zumo alone. I snapped it up (@getfeetwet.com by the way...) and just finished the install/cleanup.

Since it's the same form factor as the 2610, my mounting bracket didn't change a bit. As a result, I was able to get rid of the separate XM radio/bracket/and multiple wiring runs (which had been experiencing some issues on my last few trips), since XM is integrated into the GPS. I located the GXM 30 antenna under the passenger seat in the back, and it seems to have good reception there... in some ways better than the standalone XM antenna I had mounted up high on my handlebars. Plus, it's totally out of sight, which I think is great for the bike's appearance...

I also moved the V1 over to the left handlebar, and was able to lower it's profile significantly to sit just over the Clutch reservoir. I couldn't do that on the right handlebar because my Smarttire monitor sits there. I like the new location a lot, and can operate it with my left hand very easily... don't need to take my hand off the throttle or reach across my body with my left hand.

All-in-all, this has greatly simplified my wiring and connectivity... plus I have the additional benefits of MP3 and audio book capability on the 2820, a bunch of other options that the 2820 has that the 2610 didn't, and I think the screen and menus are a lot more friendly than the older 2610 equivalents. Plus, I saved a ton of jack not buying a Zumo/GXM 30 antenna. My handlebars are much less cluttered too. I also freed up a power slot in my Centech power block, since I no longer have a stand alone XM to run. All that, and I may even get some $$ back if I let my wife sell my 2610 on Ebay...

Something to consider for anyone in a similar situation. I'll post some pics in the next day or two to show the differences...

Last edited by a moderator: