Since it's been cold...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wanderer

Reaction score
Here's a few pics of the stuff I've done to the bike over the last week. Some of it was long over due, some of it was on a whim.

First I cleaned up and rewired the mess under the seat where I keep the PDB (wired for 2 heated liners and 12v acc plug)and the little compressor with TP guage.

underseat.jpg

Then I installed the new Datel Voltmeter to keep an eye on the battery while running all the crap I potentially have attached to the bike.

I copied the idea from 05FJRBlueDevil's install I found here on the forum.

I may someday tie this in on a relay when I do a front PDB/realy for the heated grips install, but since the bike never sits for more than a week I can't see it really putting a dent in the battery charge.

voltmeterinstall.jpg

While all the ABCD panels were off I added in a LONG overdue weatherproof 12v acc plug that reaches the tankbag for the BlackBerry(music and GPS), the tire pump also plugs in here. It's powered by the PDB.

heat-accplug.jpg

While my father was here (also rides an FJR) I got him to help me install the new EPM spring kit on the front and rear. I totally failed to get pics of the front but it was a crazy easy install so here is a pic of the newly installed rear spring ready to go back on the bike. In retrospect, next time I'll pay a suspension shop the 50 bucks to pop on the new spring rather than fight with a pair of MacPherson strut compressors to swap them out. 835lb springs don't compress easily with hand tools. :D

EPMrearnew.jpg

now if the weather would just cooperate I could go enjoy all this stuff.

WOW!!! that's one mother of a spring.

EPMrearnew.jpg

I am not sure what the stock spring is rated for but it sure looks like that rear tire aint movin.

Dave

Yeah, its rated at 832 lbs. It's actually just a little too stiff for me alone. (190 in gear) 2-up is amazing though. Can't complain for 140$.

Time I got. Fistfuls of Benjamins I do not.

Nonetheless, I plan on adding heated grips and Vstrom hand guards soon and I have a remote sensor thermometer for ambient temps on the way. beyond that I honestly can't think of anything else I need. I dont want GPS or Audiovox Cruise Control.

ACK! I totally forgot to list these on the list:

It's a pic stolen from the website, but all the pics I took showed off the super duper reflective properties!

fjrreardaysmall.jpg

They sorta don't count as they were put on back in mid September, a b-day gift from my in-laws.

Good looking clean installs, Wanderer; just wandering(couldn't resist),

I have ran the fuse wire power to the front for my 12v plug-in. I stopped when it came time to cut into the fairing.

What did you use (how did you) cut the fairing and shape the diameter of the hole w/o it cracking or having shredded edges?

I know what it takes to cut it, just don't want to have any mishaps. If you would share that, would be most grateful.

Good looking clean installs, Wanderer; just wandering(couldn't resist),I have ran the fuse wire power to the front for my 12v plug-in. I stopped when it came time to cut into the fairing.

What did you use (how did you) cut the fairing and shape the diameter of the hole w/o it cracking or having shredded edges?

I know what it takes to cut it, just don't want to have any mishaps. If you would share that, would be most grateful.
I made a template on paper, then used a razor blade to score an 'X' where the center would be. Machinist's calipers helped ALOT. I drilled a 1/4" pilot hole before using a 1' bit to make the big hole. I didn't have a 1 1/8" bit (the OD of the plug) I had to widen it out a bit with slow circles using a dremel and a sanding wheel. It isn't perfectly round, but the ears hid any evidence and the thing fits flat. Once the big hole was in I just put the plug in the hole and used a 3/16" bit to drill the small holes through the holes in the tab for the screws. I wish I had just gone a bought the damned hole saw and then clamped it to a table.

My way worked, but you'd be best served with a 1 1/8" drill bit/hole saw and a drill press or jig to hold the panel. my way was tedious.

Luckily the plastic is ABS and doesn't chip or crack very easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good looking clean installs, Wanderer; just wandering(couldn't resist),I have ran the fuse wire power to the front for my 12v plug-in. I stopped when it came time to cut into the fairing.

A unibit works great for this but a hole bit will work just fine. I always put masking tape on the entire area before drilling to help prevent chipping. Works great on fiberglass and plastics.