SIT ON IT...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randayn

Reaction score
Hey Folks, did 200 miles today in 100 degrees, as long as I was moving COOL. New to me 06. Checked all my pre rides and adjusted suspension to norm.

Filled tires both 10 lbs low, rides much better. NOW first I have noticed every now and then when I turn the bike OFF the N light stays on for a second or 3, Whats up with that? #2 ? I decided to adjust my seat to the high level. Better leg room for my bionic left leg but still too much forward push.

I tried THIS. I installed the front tab at the high level and installed the rear in the low level. It did flat the seat well. This was a trick we did on the Honda st 1300 adj. seat. Is this alright or is there a potential problem? Seems to work. Bags off today 100 mph , SMOOTH.

I have ordered a Rifle +5,+4. Have used Rifle on ST and V Strom to great satisfaction.

I may get by on the stock seat. Please let me know about the N light, Normal?

I will make an appointment for the recall and new tires next week then to the Smokies, Dragon and Murphy, hope it cools off a bit. THX for replies.

Filled tires 10 lbs low? Not sure what that means.

If they were overinflated and you dropped them to normal, then good. If you dropped them to 10 lbs under the recommended pressure of around 40 lbs then you're going to see very poor tire life, and you risk overheating the tire as you ride.

Can't answer about the N light, but if that's normal it's a Gen-II thing, and I have a Gen-I bike.

If you had raised the windshield while you were riding, AND you haven't disabled the auto-retract, when you stopped the bike and pulled the key, the auto-retract would lower the windshield with the system turned off. This is normal. The auto-retract is also powered through the same circuit as the neutral light, so the neutral light coming on during auto-retract is normal.

Also, running 10 lbs below norm pressure in tires is NO problem.....if you don't mind not getting optimum life outta your shoes.

edit-to-add: It's only 93 degrees in Punta Gorda today....so don't be lookin' for sympathy with that "Feels Like..." temperature B.S. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the tires were 10 lbs low and the suspension was all wonkey so I started from scratch, setting all to standard according to the book 12 clicks from zero THANK YOU after testing I do understand the N lite. If the shield is up the lite remains on until it is full low. THX got it.

NOW anyone re. the seat adjustment? Yeah / nay / ok? Are there actually more than hi/lo sets? Thank you kindly.

Mr. Howie I did set my ambitemp showing 99 degrees from PG to Labelle and Immokolee to Naples I do get your drift, windchill factors and heat index Bulsht, its hot its cold why be subjective and make it FEEL hotter and colder, dig, just use the thermometer. I am an objectavist after all.

I love the ride to Winter Haven from PG some great back roads. Thanks for the edification.

Ah, so it was "Filled tires [COMMA!] both [WERE] 10 pounds low." Now I got it.

One of those fill-in-the-blanks kind of guys, huh? :p

Mr Wfooshee wht a pnk. fl in th blnks. If u r snide or jst 2 cul oca, if u r rud thn fo. thx. Now ,,, ? Is the seat adjustable for hi lo frnt rear. Please contribute.

my First post vs your 3,742. Thank you for the kind welcome. I will reserve judgement. Will you be kind enough to answer my ? I have no ego vested.

so u r smarter than the average idiot a 49 %r, good 4 u. HAA Not a hater jst fun. thx R

Welcome to the forum! Try not to get nickers in a knot, as we sometimes have fun here and poke a bit of fun at one another, and I would have to throw myself in the camp of those slightly confused by the wording of your original sentence concerning the tire pressures :unsure: . No one was trying to bust your chops!

As for your seat adjustment question: I believe you are the first to suggest this approach. If it fits and solves your problem, I wouldn't see any problem with running it that way unless it forces the plastic seat pan into a bind that could lead eventually to stress cracks or breakage of the pan.

Here's hoping you have many enjoyable miles astride your FJR. It is as much fun as allowed with your clothes on. :p

Don

If the "N" light is the gear indicator display as implied, then yeah ya better make sure it's not left in Neutral and be sure to rock the bike for it to bind up against 1st gear before getting off. I nearly dropped mine on a deceptively shallow slope rolling off it's kickstand.

Thank you for the heads up on the sidestand. This is a common problem with Suzuki. I have been in the habit of leaving my bikes in N, guess its the old Harley way. You cant hardly push a Harley over, the sidestand locks, oh yea and if you push the starter with the bike in gear it will take off and knock over a few Outlaw bikes and you REALLY don't want to do that. Don,t ask how I know.

The first thing I do with the zuks is grind the stop gap a bit, I will check the Yam.

On the seat adjustment, it works well. No more sliding into the tank and has led to better posture and comfort. Nice and flat, like my as.

I don't post much, but try to read everything. This is a GREAT site. ST.net linked me here and led me to the FJR. I never knew what I was missing.

I apologize for my twit report to Wfooshee, offered in jest.

No need to apologize, really, I have a thick skin. And body. And skull.

And I saw the last (nearly complete) sentence in your post. Smileys work better for that for implying a level of sarcasm, rather like I used in the post that may or may not have set you off previously. :)

I didn't think of the N light staying on as the windshield retracts, because it's actually been some time since I've seen an FJR with the retract still working; lots of folks disable it first thing. I didn't answer the seat question because my Gen-I (pre-2006) bike doesn't have the adjustable seat or handlebars. A simpler way of life from the far past. :D

But I did really think you said that you pulled 10 pounds of air out of your tires, and I wasn't the only one who thought so. Just keep in mind that what's in your mind as you shorthand-post isn't necessarily what everyone sees. That's what I was trying to sarcastically point out before.

Hey, hope the weather doesn't get too nasty down there this weekend. Keep an eye out for Emily. The peninsula is actually on the very western edge of the track forecast, but if it stays west instead of going north you guys are in for a breeze and a bit of rain Saturday.

Hey Randayn, welcome to the forum.

Since we're on the subject of side stands, my issue was how quickly the side stand sank into the dirt. So while you're playing with the side stand, consider this 20 dollar farkle by one of our own members:

Wynnpro.png

Gary

darksider #44

I tried to put my seat on like that, front in the hi and back in the low position and I couldn't get it to lock in. However someone here suggested cutting down the rubber stops at the back of the seat, only made about 1/2" of change but it helped. I'll try the high/low position again though. Heli-bars, expensive, work wonders tough.

I have run the seat like that, after messing with the rubber stoppers. Seems to flatten out the seat for me.

Reply on the seat thing, I set the front into the high position then set the rear portion , little tab thing into the lower rear pulling back slightly, checked the base and seems to set fine. There is a small gap at the tank seat nose and a bit of buzz in the seat at 4/4.5 k rpm.

Kind of feels good ha. NO more slide into the tank. Just another option. Gen 2 try it.

Re. side stand platform , I use a base plate on asphalt or sand. I do like your plate add on cool. The PO had installed heli risers and a cb shield also moto lights and hyperlite brake flashers along with fork brace and duel helmet locks with 2 power points, overkill for me perhaps.

I do like the throttle lock. 100 mph, look Ma no hands. SWEET.

One of the 1st things I see many people do is put frame sliders on the bike, but after that the seat seems to get upgraded from stock next.

I have been on a Corbin seat for a few weeks. It’s very hard and I think I am just starting to break it in 1,000 miles and counting.

I begin to regret not going with the a Russell day long. But that takes time AND sending in your stock seat…