Skullcandy Asym Earphones

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SockMonkey

Makin' Some Noise
Reaction score
I've been using the Skullcandy Asym earphones for about 4 months now and, bang-for-buck, really like them. Designed for under helmet use, they fit flush in the ear (the beefy cables loop back over the top of the ear), and deliver very good fidelity - particularly for the price. Link: Skullcandy Asym

BTW: I found them at Best Buy.

Perhaps a different model, but I've been using the skullcandy for a couple of years or so now .......cheap and IMO nearly as good as ones 10times the price. Cheap enough I usually have a spare set on standy in the event I damage or lose the current pair. (uuh, and yes I've done both.)

wrote about them quite a while back here(clicky)

buds1.jpg

I just picked up an E-A-R brand of ear plugs. They look like ear plugs you use at work but are made for MP3's or anything that uses a mini plug. The best thing is they have a volume button about a third of the way down the wire so you don't have to reach for the device to adjust the sound....

Per RJ's post I've been using the Smokin' Buds as well and have really liked them. Fit under a helmet, no problem, and the expense is so small I carry a spare, just in case.

Recently the local Cycle Gear has been selling them for $9.95 with a purchase. Bought a couple rear knobbies for the XR and picked up another pair at that price.

dougc

more than satisfied user

Perhaps a different model, but I've been using the skullcandy for a couple of years or so now .......cheap and IMO nearly as good as ones 10times the price. Cheap enough I usually have a spare set on standy in the event I damage or lose the current pair. (uuh, and yes I've done both.)
wrote about them quite a while back here(clicky)

buds1.jpg
I actually bought the Smokin' Buds about a year ago based on your post. I really liked them and was using them until they mysteriously vanished in March... :glare: So, off to Best Buy I go in search of another pair. Out of stock. So, having a ride planned for that next weekend and not wanting to go store-hopping, I looked at what else they had on display and saw the Asyms. The statement "designed for under helmet use" on the packaging caught my eye and sealed the deal. Paid the $40 and damn glad I did. These actually fit better under my helmets and are in fact a bit louder (though overall audio quality is about the same).

I use Skull Candy earbuds as well, best bang for the buck out there, I paid 20 bucks for mine and they sound awesome and are VERY comfortable (Done a few 1000 mile days with them with no problem)

the only issue I found is that the rubber ear pieces tend to fall off :( Nothing a dab of CA can't cure tho :)

Would i want a pair of custom fitted buds, of course, but considering how well these work I can't justify them, I can get 30 + sets of these for what 1 pair of customs would cost..

Would i want a pair of custom fitted buds, of course, but considering how well these work I can't justify them, I can get 30 + sets of these for what 1 pair of customs would cost..
I have a set of custom earbuds and find that for extended periods (4+ continuous hours of wear) my Etymotic er6i earbuds are more comfortable, although they do not have the same fidelity.

My custom earbuds start to hurt my ears and actually cause blisters to develop in my left ear canal. And I broke in the earbuds just like the directions said to do.

I have been looking for an alternative to the Etymotics which, on rides of more than a week or so, begin to both bruise and bloody my ears. Apparently, switching to customs is not a panacea. How do the Asyms and/or Smokin' Buds behave on rides of two or more weeks?

I have been looking for an alternative to the Etymotics which, on rides of more than a week or so, begin to both bruise and bloody my ears. Apparently, switching to customs is not a panacea. How do the Asyms and/or Smokin' Buds behave on rides of two or more weeks?
Have you tried changing the flanges to something else?

I have Westone UM2s and they smoke EVERYTHING out there quality-wise (except the UM3s, of course). But the flanges they ship with are memory foam and they are not comfortable for more than a few hours at a time.

Most of the higher end ear canal phones use the same style sound tube (some are slightly longer than others, but they seem to be the same diameter). So you can mix and match the various accessories if you are willing to perhaps trim some excess rubber from another company's fitting.

I got Shure's triple-flanges and they are perfect for me. Great fit, great isolation and they don't seem to impact on fidelity in any way.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I can't comment on a ride of two or more weeks, I can say that the Asym's worked really well and were very comfortable over the course of a recent 2000+ mile, 4 day ride. BTW: most people don't know the secret to to help avoid ear irritation and bleeding (caused by bacteria) from prolonged earbud use. Use Neosporin + Pain Relief Ointment as a lubricant for the rubber cup on the earbuds. I got this tip from my audiologist after I complained about the same issues and it seems to work...

BTW: most people don't know the secret to to help avoid ear irritation and bleeding (caused by bacteria) from prolonged earbud use. Use Neosporin + Pain Relief Ointment as a lubricant for the rubber cup on the earbuds. I got this tip from my audiologist after I complained about the same issues and it seems to work...
+1 on the Neosporin. 11 days, 11 applications, no problemo

Unfortunately, I have already tried every available flange (foam and baffled - two baffles, three baffles - all sizes).

The Neosporin idea seems interesting. I will give it a try.

Thanks for both sugestions.

I bought the Etymotics and used them to EOM last year. They were a pain since they often were pulled out while putting on a properly fitted helmet since they stick out. If they only pulled out part way, I would not bother doing the off and on with the helmet to fix them. I have very narrow ear canals. Also, when I jammed them in enough that the helmet donning would not pull them out, my ears started hurting after an hour or two. Also, the very fine wire would flap around in the wind which was very distracting.

I am currently using the helmet speakers from Whitehorse Gear. Problem with them is, above 60 mph, the wind noise drowns out the music unless I raise my windshield so that I am looking through it. Some advise that it is not good to be looking through your shield. These helmet speakers have a heavy wire which does not blow around.

I may try these asyms to see if they do not stick out of my ears to far to put on the helmet.

I tested a pair of Entymotics, and outside of my high end Sure ear buds, they are probably the best sounding ear buds I've used, however i didn't like them for Moto use for the exact reason listed above, they stick out just a hair too far, the Skullcandy ear buds don't

For long distance the SK's work great, just make sure you CLEAN them daily (I wipe em down with an alcohol prep pad)...

I bought a pair of Asyms today, based on this thread. I rode into work with them. They are GREAT!!!! They stay put when I put my helmet on. Love 'em! Thanks guys.

I bought some Sony earbuds at Best Buy with an inline volume control for about 30 bucks. Wish I could remember the model number. Sound is great even at highway speeds. They are comfortable in the ears and cancel out just the right amount of outside noise. For me anyway. Bought and used them on a trip to Madison Wisconson and back, from Dallas, and no problems. I've used them on an almost daily basis since the first of May and no complaints.

GP

I have a pair of Sure 210, they have a foam ear peice and they cut the wind noise out like ear plugs.

Marcus