Skully vs IC-R helmets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dayven99

Reaction score
Well we know SKULLY has there AR-1 helmet coming out this summer for $1,500. But of course someone had to one up that project. I saw about a month ago the IC-R project. What you think about this helmet for those who loved the SKULLY helmet.

If all of the technology was a set of modules that could be moved into a new shell when necessary rather than having to replace the entire expensive package it might be worth a look. Being frugal, I still would probably not spend the money.

I, for one, welcome our new intelligent helmet overlords...
unsure.png

A base helmet with optional uploaded software would enable the owner to see only what they wanted. I also think these could be integrated into the design of the motorcycle. For example, a discrete warning coupled with tire pressure monitors might be worth having. The options are interesting. Paired via bluetooth with the current motorcycle. I dont want the distraction of trying to adjust anything while riding at sub warp speed. But if I could set it up before riding if I needed different settings might be welcome.

With all of the electronic gadgetry that they are touting I don't see them mention what may be the most important detail: How well does it protect your noggin if it gets hit? No specs on that at all.

One "feature" that I would love to see in a helmet design, probably more than a heads up display, would be the built-in ability to attenuate all wind noise without having to resort to using earplugs. Having a nice set of hi fidelity speakers built into that design would be a bonus.

This may be hard to believe Fred but with my Vstream and a HJC vented helmet I ride in a quiet bubble of air. May just be my height with that combination. If I get in a rain, eventually I get water droplets on the visor. If at that point I lower the windshield the droplets go down, not back. Visor is now clear, windshield back up. I never see a need for earplugs. And if a helmet at minimum does not meet DOT/Snell requirements I do not buy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
With all of the electronic gadgetry that they are touting I don't see them mention what may be the most important detail: How well does it protect your noggin if it gets hit? No specs on that at all.
One "feature" that I would love to see in a helmet design, probably more than a heads up display, would be the built-in ability to attenuate all wind noise without having to resort to using earplugs. Having a nice set of hi fidelity speakers built into that design would be a bonus.
This reminds me of the discussion we had on the Sena SMART helmet and noise cancelling. Strictly conjecture on my end but I could imagine helmets combining head protection and hearing systems equally. Sorta like being able to slip a helmet over your best set of headphones while also being able to use each separately should you desire. The basic concept is already there right? with most manufacturers offering built in ear-cups to mount your own speakers if you choose to. Think of the possibilities if they could design that area bigger and to an industry standard so as to accommodate something like an over-the-ear headphone (which is what I believe Sena did on theirs) and then having the marketplace offer the user different brands and (removable) options to put into that space should you want to or just use it as a base helmet. I think that could open the door for a whole host of new things we could spend our money on.

Last edited by a moderator: