Slider protection

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simo

Reaction score
I am about to purchase a 2013 fjr. However, being only short I want some protection for the paniers and fairings. I was looking at the canyon cages from MCE Enterprises. Is there any other product that is more suitable or is the MCE product the way to go?

Welcome aboard Simo. Yer gonna love that 013. Yeah, I've got a 29 inch inseam... and as careful as I try to be, my FJR has been over twice. Though I've got sliders installed, they've never touched the ground. Wish I could say as much for my engine side covers though.

Good luck

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Canyon Cages. Also a short inseam 27". I've dropped it once since I installed them. It went all the way down as I was heading downhill and the driveway sloped to the left also. The bike got minor scratches on the left mirror and the faring edge below the mirror. No scrapes to the engine side covers, but yes scrapes to the Canyon Cages. A shot of black rattle can satin paint took care of those.

Several other options out there, just depends on the "look" you are after. The '13 and up Canyon Cages are nicely integrated to the body lines and (IMHO) offer the best protection available for now. When If I get a GEN III it'll have Canyon Cages!

YMMV

--G

I really like the R&G Racing line of products. Have them on my Triumph Street Triple R and have their sliders, fork protectors, and radiator guard on my '13 FJR. They have engine guards listed in development with photos and an email link to register interest. I'm hoping they put it into productions as personally I think any sort of engine bars look butt ugly. Not to mention can be very dangerous if your legs get caught in them in a crash.

https://www.rg-racing.com/browseBike/Yamaha/FJR1300/2013.aspx

Be sure to see the posts by Fairlaner. His bike was the test mule for the Canyon Cages development, and they really got the Gen III fitment right. Also Footpeg fitment. You may want to skip to page 5 of the development thread to see the final product, but the whole thread is a good read if you're serious about these..

Thanks guys for your input. I have a Goldwing (that I am trying to sell) which has crash bars. I can identify with Flycatcher as I dropped it one day on a sloping driveway. The crash bars did not protect the panniers because of the slope and I ended up with quite a few scratches. However, on flat ground it gave good protection.

Anyway, I think for me it will be the Canyon Cages.

I am about to purchase a 2013 fjr. However, being only short I want some protection for the paniers and fairings. I was looking at the canyon cages from MCE Enterprises. Is there any other product that is more suitable or is the MCE product the way to go?
I ordered the front and back for my 2011. They are out of the front ones for the faring but have the rear ones for the bags.Should have the front ones in about 30 days. I'll feel a lot better to get them Dropped mine and had to have my left bag repainted.

I would rather put up with look of the metal bars and feel comfortable that the bike was protected in case of a drop or should I say when I drop it!

Almost everybody drops their bike at sometime during ownership. The FJR being rather heavy increases the odds. So why not protect. The way these plastic covered bikes are today, a drop could cause a $1000 worth of damage and lots of inconvenience getting repairs/replacements.

Bill

Anyone know if with the Canyon Cages on a '13 (or '14), if you would need to remove the side panels (fairing) for whatever reason, can it be done w/o removing the Canyon Cages?

Still not sure on the rear guards as I don't have the panniers on all too often.

i can tell you that the "cages" do protect the bags even when you drop it on a slope......but i did scratch the mirror ($127 to replace) which was not too bad.

also the plastic can be removed with out removing the cages....

R

i can tell you that the "cages" do protect the bags even when you drop it on a slope......but i did scratch the mirror ($127 to replace) which was not too bad.
also the plastic can be removed with out removing the cages....

R
Thanks for the reply, good to know.

I would rather put up with look of the metal bars and feel comfortable that the bike was protected in case of a drop or should I say when I drop it!
That's why I have Full Coverage insurance.

I guess I've been pretty lucky, I've never dropped any bike I've ever owned, was in an accident with one but never dropped one.