Sliders won't cut it

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Toad

Reaction score
With gas prices skyrocketing (and nobody seems to be doing anything about it) I've decided to start using the FJR for commuting to work. I've spent some time looking for crash bars and can't find anyone who sells them.

I know that frame sliders are what everyone uses, but the pictures I've seen of bikes that have gone down show the bike still gets scraped up big big time.

There are a lot of sport/touring bikes that have crash bars and I can't understand why the FJR doesn't. I did find this thread and it gave me hope that there will be a way to save my beautiful bike should it take a spill.
FJR1300Police001.jpg

Does anyone have information about these are other crash bars?

Last edited by a moderator:
my son has a machine/welding shop and fabed a set for my 06 (sold bike) the rear passenger pegs had to be removed (I always ride solo any way). I would think most any good shop could fab a set. They would need the attachment points. My son is a biker so it was relatively easy for myself and him figure it out. He tigged them from aluminum and we high polished on a polishing wheel. My thoughts were the same as yours way to much damaged occurs in fall overs. I also did not have damage insurance on the bike itself.

With gas prices skyrocketing (and nobody seems to be doing anything about it) I've decided to start using the FJR for commuting to work. I've spent some time looking for crash bars and can't find anyone who sells them. I know that frame sliders are what everyone uses, but the pictures I've seen of bikes that have gone down show the bike still gets scraped up big big time.

There are a lot of sport/touring bikes that have crash bars and I can't understand why the FJR doesn't. I did find this thread and it gave me hope that there will be a way to save my beautiful bike should it take a spill.
FJR1300Police001.jpg

THEY ARE ON THE WAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have had several FJR's at the shop and we are working on them.. Ive been reluctant to post anything because for the next two weeks im very busy with appearing at rallies (its part of my job).. In about two weeks when I get back I should have some pictures to post. I have spoke to several board members and have spoke with War Child about participating at NAFO as a sponsor and participant. I should have a set at NAFO for people to look at and suggest what they would want or what might work better for them. I'm in the business of making custom parts and will offer several different sets and several rear sets as well.... If you like feel free to contact me at the shop and I will be happy to talk to you more about it. jaxon(AT)wildcardcustoms(DOT)com or 817-831-9700

I will be out of the shop starting wed 11... feel free to contact me before....

We are also working on many other new parts for the FJR. That I have not ever seen. Thanks ~ Jaxon

Keep us updated and post some pics of early mods. Perhaps some with matching custom paint would be nice. The black stands out too much , unless you have an '08.

Keep us updated and post some pics of early mods. Perhaps some with matching custom paint would be nice. The black stands out too much , unless you have an '08.
Yes,... I didn't want to blow up the whole topic... Yes, they will be offered in year matching color, chrome, powder coat... It will be up to the customer. We will offer several different sets... I will be happy to post probably first of July... Feel free to contact the shop if you like. Thanks

Yes,... I didn't want to blow up the whole topic... Yes, they will be offered in year matching color, chrome, powder coat... It will be up to the customer. We will offer several different sets... I will be happy to post probably first of July... Feel free to contact the shop if you like. Thanks
Chrome?! :blink: Um, I'm pretty sure you'll have but only two customers for that version: odot and skooperG.

:lol:

Chrome?! :blink: Um, I'm pretty sure you'll have but only two customers for that version: odot and skooperG.

LOL............. I gotta take care of that 'one' customer!!! LOL Will will supply what customers want... :)

:lol:

I'll be watching for your notice of when they are ready for release/sale. I really agree that sliders just don't cut it, especially for the rear. I have to come up to Dallas area next month anyhow, and maybe can pick them up if you have them ready by then.

Cool, I wonder if the rear cage will be compatible with a standard front slider, or if you will need both the front and the rear cage?

THEY ARE ON THE WAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have had several FJR's at the shop and we are working on them..
PFFFT! Your going to the Dragon with the TSW crew arent'cha!! :D

Count me in on these Jax.

I'll be watching for your notice of when they are ready for release/sale. I really agree that sliders just don't cut it, especially for the rear. I have to come up to Dallas area next month anyhow, and maybe can pick them up if you have them ready by then.

If you’re in town feel free to come to the shop.. You can Email me or call and I would be happy to give you directions. We always have some cool stuff going on and you can see the progress on the new parts.. Give us a shout. Thanks

Cool, I wonder if the rear cage will be compatible with a standard front slider, or if you will need both the front and the rear cage?
We will offer them separate and we will also work with customers and do one-off stuff if customers like to work with what they might need.

THEY ARE ON THE WAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have had several FJR's at the shop and we are working on them..
PFFFT! Your going to the Dragon with the TSW crew arent'cha!! :D

Count me in on these Jax.

Whats up man.... shoot I would love to go to the dragon again and hang out... I have a alot of work to do and get done and there is no way this time.. I might try and hit it this fall though...

Did you get your FJR? ROCK ON!!!! You know what I can do here in the shop, and these are going to be good ! Email me and I will shoot you some pictures...

With gas prices skyrocketing (and nobody seems to be doing anything about it) I've decided to start using the FJR for commuting to work. I've spent some time looking for crash bars and can't find anyone who sells them. I know that frame sliders are what everyone uses, but the pictures I've seen of bikes that have gone down show the bike still gets scraped up big big time.

FJR1300Police001.jpg

could you tell me how you posted the picture I am trying to get a pic posted on my listing but can not figure it out

Did you get your FJR? ROCK ON!!!! You know what I can do here in the shop, and these are going to be good ! Email me and I will shoot you some pictures...
I did, I picked up an 04 with 20Km on the ticker it the 3rd week of May. Damn I LOVE THIS BIKE. Unfortunately, I sold this Spirit this past weekend. Time to move on. Getting older... wiser... or senile or something. One more bike to sell before I'm all done though. My 05 Mean Streak is up for sale too.

I can't wait to see the reaction these guys have to your work :D

Email coming at ya.

I did, I picked up an 04 with 20Km on the ticker it the 3rd week of May. Damn I LOVE THIS BIKE. Unfortunately, I sold this Spirit this past weekend. Time to move on. Getting older... wiser... or senile or something. One more bike to sell before I'm all done though. My 05 Mean Streak is up for sale too.

I can't wait to see the reaction these guys have to your work :D

Email coming at ya.
I bet it was a sad day to see the spirit go for sure!!! Lot of work for someone else to enjoy!! I am just waiting until the end of the year to buy an FJR. I don't think I can part with the sabre at this point!!!!

I bet it was a sad day to see the spirit go for sure!!! Lot of work for someone else to enjoy!! I am just waiting until the end of the year to buy an FJR. I don't think I can part with the sabre at this point!!!!
Surprisingly, not so bad at all. I didn't ride it much in the last year, perhaps 4K or so. Better to pay off some debt and move on. Your Sabre is really sweet. One of my favs. Your gonna love the FJR, the poor Sabre won't get rid anymore!