Sliders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got Moko's 2 months BEFORE I got my bike. They went on during dealer prep.

But (knock on wood), I have no experience (yet) w/ a parking lot tip-over.

EDIT: Moko's came from Wild Hair Accessories.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the R & G's -- they work  :D
I think there is a downside to the R&D sliders. They have to be removed to take off the side panels.

Just by removing and replacing those fine thread bolts you take a chance of stripping the holes, even by carefull retorquing them. I've heard of several guys that had to repair (helicoil) the holes.

I removed mine only one time ( without any damage) and torqued them lower than specified.

But, DO NOT lube the bolts, that I think, would strip them for sure. :unsure:

+1 Definitely. get 'em _before_ tipping the bike (unlike some of us) :blushing:
Group blush! How do you think I learned that I needed sliders? My bike got attacked by gravity during an ill-fated U-turn.

I learned that if all the principles of making a safe turn are ignored, the bike falls over. Now I need to figure out WHY I looked at the ground, closed off the throttle etc. I KNOW better than that.

Jill

+1 on the R & G's -- they work  :D
I think there is a downside to the R&D sliders. They have to be removed to take off the side panels.

Just by removing and replacing those fine thread bolts you take a chance of stripping the holes, even by carefull retorquing them. I've heard of several guys that had to repair (helicoil) the holes.

I removed mine only one time ( without any damage) and torqued them lower than specified.

But, DO NOT lube the bolts, that I think, would strip them for sure. :unsure:
Actually, I haven't heard those stories... doesn't mean that it hasn't happened, though. Mine have been off a few times. Actually had to replace one last year. It was bent back to the fairing... compliments of a low speed high side. The whole weight of the bike landed on it (& the upper fairing) & I had absolutely no problems with the threads... the old slider came right off & the new went right on. I don't see where there'd be a problem. The threads being fine? Hmmm, don't remember them being fine. Whatever you pick... get 'em on there as soon as humanly possible Jill.

Good luck to ya'.

Heidi

I think what he means ltr, is being removed often for fairing removal means thread wear, aluminum being somewhat soft would wear more rapidly than steel. Actually, keep the threads clean, don't tighten it like it's all that holds the two halves of the bike together, and you'll be fine.

Since everyone is confessing....notice the scuffs on the R&G slider and the pristine lower fairing. Results of a slow speed tip over and slide down an asphalt covered stupid ass place to put a hill in a parking lot. But I'm over it.....really. :angry:

I've had mine off a couple of times with no ill effects. I think it would take many R&R's of the bolt to wear out the threads. And the R&G's mounting location are in the best position to take the brunt of any asphalt surfing.

Here's a R&G install.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the "tip-over-guards" from FJRGoodies.com. (wifey got them for me for the holidays). Pretty inexpensive at a paltry $30/set. Is this a "get what you pay for" kinda thing?? They certainly look good, fit good. Is there something I should know about these?

Anybody? <_< <_< <_<

TOGs and Sliders are 2 different things. TOGs will not protect in a serious get down; they are exactly what they say they are: TIP OVER guards. They bolt the the fairing subframe and can stand up to the stress that sliders are meant to handle.

Not that they aren't good. They do exactly what they say they will do.

I have both fairing mushrooms (TOGs' generic name) and sliders.

https://tinyurl.com/e2ls6

I learned that if all the principles of making a safe turn are ignored, the bike falls over. Now I need to figure out WHY I looked at the ground, closed off the throttle etc. I KNOW better than that.
Jill, you were probably looking for a nice clean place to "lay R Down". Odds are, since you did look down, you probably look dowm more than you think. Knowing better is different than doing better, cause in an emergency situation, you'll do what you normally do. You may have done this before but take an MSF course & let the coaches slap you around a little for looking down. It really helps to have a trained coach watch & help you. The frame sliders & tip over guards are for when you let a very good friend ride your FJR & as you said, NEVER LOOK DOWN.

Later,,,De :rolleyes:

Got some GSG sliders ordered from Wild Hair along w/passenger foot exhaust/can guards. awaiting their pending arrival most any day

Jill, you were probably looking for a nice clean place to "lay R Down".
That's a generous thought, but the fact was that I was just not paying attention. I'd scanned the road ahead, deemed it safe and possible to make a u-turn and then proceeded to make a text book failure to turn by doing everything wrong.

I've taken the MSF and the ERC, and also spent several hours practicing with cones alongside more experienced riders. However, that was all on a cruiser with low seat height. I need to build skills and confidence on the FJR. As yet, I'm still a little intimidated by it. Once the sliders are on, it will be time for some serious practicing.

Jill

Jill, you were probably looking for a nice clean place to "lay R Down".
That's a generous thought, but the fact was that I was just not paying attention. I'd scanned the road ahead, deemed it safe and possible to make a u-turn and then proceeded to make a text book failure to turn by doing everything wrong.

I've taken the MSF and the ERC, and also spent several hours practicing with cones alongside more experienced riders. However, that was all on a cruiser with low seat height. I need to build skills and confidence on the FJR. As yet, I'm still a little intimidated by it. Once the sliders are on, it will be time for some serious practicing.

Jill
Been there done that. On one occasion stalled the bugger on my steep driveway put the downhill foot down and got launched! The motovations saved everything except an invisible tiny ding on the exhaust. However one other time at my son's did a completely wrong early in the morning after mode turn going no where except to park out of the way and scratched my bag, alternator case and tiny skitch on mirror. The engine switch to protect idiots like me really did work as the sucker went horizontal.

Without the motovations fairings would have been toast too.

What really pissed me off was the launching of my bag when I forgot to check its latch! It was the other one of course!!!! The one that was pristine and cherished. Scratches covered with paint pens, handy little devils those..

Thanks. It makes me feel better to know that others do similarly stupid things.

One of my pet peeves is with some of the newer (and even some more experienced) riders on a ladies' forum I visit. They write that the bike keeps falling down. As if the bike had a mind of it's own, and chose to do so. They have no idea why the bike falls over, and just HOPE that it doesn't happen next time out.

In my case, I LET the bike fall and know EXACTLY what I did wrong. I will continue to HOPE that it never happens again, but will supplement that hope with some interventions to actually PREVENT it happening.

Jill

Thanks. It makes me feel better to know that others do similarly stupid things.
One of my pet peeves is with some of the newer (and even some more experienced) riders on a ladies' forum I visit. They write that the bike keeps falling down. As if the bike had a mind of it's own, and chose to do so. They have no idea why the bike falls over, and just HOPE that it doesn't happen next time out.

In my case, I LET the bike fall and know EXACTLY what I did wrong. I will continue to HOPE that it never happens again, but will supplement that hope with some interventions to actually PREVENT it happening.

Jill
Never use front brake on full lock when coming to a stop. This is mostly to blame. Always use power to stay upright. Clutch and rear brake work wonders in slow speed maneuvers. Check road surface for gravel, ice, oil and gradient before picking a place to stop. If you can't get a stable spot for your foot -- nuf said.

I am sure others will add to the list.

Jill, Interesting page on the Tech discussion pages about vibration that U should read since this is about frame sliders.

We think that the main problem was that the motormounts were not torqued enough. The other thing is that when I put the sliders (no cut style from Motovation USA), they should have been torqued on the left side first then the right side. Apparently, the left side dosnt have the bolt sleeves and pulls the motor over close to the frame. The right side has the bold sleeves and gets torqued last so it wont pull the motor over. (or thats how it was explained anyhow). It is likely that there was a small problem in the order of torque that made the vibration happen. I knew that it was better after I hit second gear 100 ft down the dealership driveway.
This (left side 1st) info wasn't in my 1 pg installation instructions & it's been over 2 years since installing my MOKO frame sliders, but I think I probably did install the left (pix below) side 1st and my '04 is really smooth with a slightest vibe between 74 & 76 mph.

Later, De :rolleyes:

LeftSliderBase.jpg