Sliding or rolling

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sliding if you had a choice and you don't. More surface area in contact with the ground equals more drag (friction) and a greater chance of slowing down much quicker without the issues of failing arms heads and legs! Your mate on the other hand should reconsider his riding apparel seems a little light on in the protective area?

A crash way back in the '80s resulted in coming in contact with a big, fat pile of summer-time hot tar. This resulted in an uncontrolable roll, as my clothing wanted to stick to the tar. As I tried to gather my thoughts, I thought the accident had blinded me. Turns out, the helmet had twisted on my head. :blink:

This last one was a high-speed slide. It wouldn't have been so bad except for clipping two 4x4 sign posts with the ribcage at speed. :huh:

I much prefer rolling (on the tires).

Off the bike, I have a suit that would fare much better if I were sliding, and that would be my preference.

I'd rather suffer road rash from a slide than broken bones from a roll.

During my recent get off (T-boned by a truck at low speed) I did neither. Just kind of hit the ground and stayed there. Didn't have the chance to practice either rolling or sliding. :p

This last one was a high-speed slide. It wouldn't have been so bad except for clipping two 4x4 sign posts with the ribcage at speed. :huh:
My eyes watered when I read that!
Hell, mine still do! Like when I yawn, sneeze, cough, lie down...

I wouldn't wish that crap on my worse enemy!

Well, maybe an ex-wife or two.

Slide? Tumble? Which is worse? It all depends on what you hit and/or how far you go after going down.

If you slide into a curb, car, or fire hydrant, that's going to be bad. If you don't hit something, but if you're going fast, you're going to lose a lot of flesh.

I once saw a video of a young woman who had fallen off the back of a sportbike at over 100 mph. She had a helmet on so she still had a pretty face. But she was wearing no other gear when the accident happened so her skin was destroyed over most of her body. She slid so far (over 650 feet) that she said she just relaxed and hoped to die. The sliding ate off so much flesh that it exposed her internal organs.

On the other hand, my son low-sided at Texas World Speedway at about 165 mph. He slid forever. His gear was chewed up but he didn't have a scratch on him - that is until he slid off the track and over a small 2-3 foot wide drainage ditch. It tumbled him and he broke his neck when he hit the other side of the ditch. It's been about 18 months and he's recovering from his 3rd neck surgery.

I saw a BIG friend of mine go straight into a concrete wall at over 100 mph. He was riding a Hyabusa and simply misjudged the turn. He realized his mistake, locked the wheels, and highsided directly into the wall. He hit the wall so hard that he bounced up the side of the wall, then fell back to the ground as limp as a dishrag. We thought he was dead. Damage? 3 broken ribs, a cut on his forearm, and really torn up gear. And he's still riding that same Hyabusa.

There's no substitute for gear. But if you hit something, slding or tumbling, the outcome is uncertain. And if you tumble bad enough, that will break you. Racers know that when they go down, they must put their arms and legs out immediately to stop the tumbling.

IRBR

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, that's kinda what I thought, but one day I met up with a hayabusa rider at a burger joint. we were chatting a bit about one thing then the other when we mentioned crashing. I said "If i find my self sliding on my back, I hope I'm sliding head first, otherwise I"ll get a rash up my back because my jacket doesnt attach to my pants"
He said, "Take it from a guy that's been in plenty of crashes, you're better to roll, cause that asphalt burns thru everything"

It's better to rash your back than break your neck.

Sliding slows you down faster. "Rag doll" posture worked well for me. I torn a few ligaments, but no broken bones. After I bounced at 40MPH I slid along behind my bike. I was able to roll over on my back while sliding (not the best thing to do). I hit the bike feet first after it struck a guardrail and stopped abruptly. If I was going head first I would have broken my neck when I hit the bike at 25+. I was sore, but unbroken. I was wearing full leathers.

Textiles are getting close to leather for protection. Some textiles are designed to slide easier, but it doesn't stop you from tumbling. You body's response to hitting the ground at speed will make that decision for you.