Slight Head Shake

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archer1022

Reaction score
I have had a slight head shake (with hands off bars) at 50 MPH since I bought the bike new. I assumed it was due to the stock Bridgestones but when I changed to Conti Road Attacks, it stayed exactly the same. I have since mounted Pilot Roads and it is still the same. No other speeds and only on off throttle.

Any ideas?

Archer

FWIW my 06 does the same thing. Someone else said that front tire pressure could have a lot to do with it. Makes sense.

I have had a slight head shake (with hands off bars) at 50 MPH since I bought the bike new. I assumed it was due to the stock Bridgestones but when I changed to Conti Road Attacks, it stayed exactly the same. I have since mounted Pilot Roads and it is still the same. No other speeds and only on off throttle.
Any ideas?

Archer
When the tire was replaced and balanced, did you ask the mechanic to see if the rim was within factory spec's? A good shop can check the rim's run out to see if it may be slightly bent. This can also be done with the tire on the rim, but you will most likely want to remove the tire and rim from the bike and hand it to a mechanic, it may be cheaper for you this way if you decide to go this route, but ask the shop first. Another suggestion is be sure whoever does this for you, is good at checking a rim for proper run out, don't rely on some rookie, it's your money, make sure the person doing your work knows his trade.

Even new products are not exact some of the time, between shipping and being locked down inside a container may have done some damage, you won't know for sure until you check it out. Just the first thing that came to my mind.

clutchless1

How many miles???? Check you head bearing.......mine was lose (post-crash) but it did solve alot of that problem. Should be checked frequently.
That's what it sounds like to me, especially if it's always been there. Probably wasn't torqued right initially at the dealer when the bike was set up.

How many miles???? Check you head bearing.......mine was lose (post-crash) but it did solve alot of that problem. Should be checked frequently.
That's what it sounds like to me, especially if it's always been there. Probably wasn't torqued right initially at the dealer when the bike was set up.

Interesting thought on not getting torqued right from the dealer. The bike only has 7000 miles on it and it has not changed at all since new across now the third set of tires.

What is the correct torque setting?

Archer